Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lets take everything Australia has built and let Conker's poo monster have his way with it

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by Ljiljan, Apr 9, 2013.

1. I don't have a TV at home.
    I don't read newspapers.
    Very little news filters through to planet me.

Which means the things that do are usually the bigger stories. North Korea declaring war. Dictator of the western world dying. Virtually all of any election rubbish has skipped past my door. However, this nugget poked its head in. There's a new Dictator of Australia rising up.

So apparently there was a very exclusive ultra right-wing think tank last week. The keynote attendees were Abbott, Rinehart and Murdoch with Bolt on for good measure. Their plan is to radically transform Australia. At first it has the pretense of looking borderline reasonable. And then it just turns into Gina's pigsty.

1) End all public subsidies to sport and the arts
    2) Privatise the Australian Institute of Sport
    3) Allow people to opt out of superannuation in exchange for promising to forgo any government income support in retirement
    4) Privatise the CSIRO
    5) Break up the ABC
    6) End mandatory disclosures on political donations
    7) Abandon the paid parental leave scheme
    8) Withdraw from the Kyoto Protocol
    9) Abolish the Australian Competition and Consumer Commission
    10) Abolish the Department of Climate Change

and to top it all off... let's get rid of all media regulation too;

11) Eliminate media ownership restrictions
    12) Abolish the Australian Communications and Media Authority (ACMA)

I didn't think people with these ideas actually existed.
    • Like Like x 1
    • BS BS x 1
  2. fcuk you're weird
    • Dumb Dumb x 1
  3. Lilley's invented a new medical condition. It's called "Selective Ignorance".
  4. Yes Lilley, trust the government. I get all my news from the ABC and am happy to say this is the best government we've ever had. I am also proud that my money gets taken off me and given to ballet dancers and synchonised swimmers. This warms the chockles of heart, which is good because with the carbon tax I can't afford to use a heater.
  5. He also neglected to mention that the news of this luminous event was given out by a LEFT-WING think-tank..
    And the fact that it happened on April the first......
    I have a nice harbour bridge for sale, Lilley
  6. I like those ideas and would like to subscribe to their newsletter.
  7. I'd go for those two, no problems.

That's fine by me, too.

Why bother about withdrawing, half the countries that have signed up, ignore it.
  8. Is this about the Institute of Public Affairs?

If so, it's been around longer than you have, and has been influencing conservative governments for as long. Nothing has changed.
  9. Nice try.
    Yeh, seems to be.
    I've never really cared, just assumed that clinically insane people would be kept locked away inside and away from affecting everyone else.
  10. Thankfully with the way the senate works and the popularity of the greens, the libs don't have a chance of having any real power for a long time. Unless of course Labor gets a lot worse than they already are.
  11. So it's working then...
  12. True that. If only we could shift the US democratic party over here, we might have a real government for once.
  13. Things are going to get a little interesting after the next election. Libs will get the lower house but have no chance of getting the upper house. I think we will be going to the polls a few times and a lot of different leaders before things get sorted out.
  14. Which way will wikileaks direct preferences, eh?
  15. I'm sure they will be very transparent with it.

Though if it goes to double dissolution over repealing the carbon tax, which I've got my money on, Assange will have a very good chance of getting into the senate as they will only need half the vote.
  16. They've got my vote -- it is the clearest way to tell Conroy to go back to the gulag.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. [​IMG]
    • Like Like x 1