Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Let's 'responsibly' introduce kids to booze; yeah, let's

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by hornet, Apr 13, 2009.

1. 'No safe amount' of alcohol for teens

April 13, 2009 05:49am

RESEARCH has found that teenagers who drink even small amounts of alcohol have a significantly higher risk of developing alcohol abuse or risky sexual behaviour as a young adult.
    Fairfax newspapers say the study casts doubt on national guidelines that suggest there is a "low risk" level of drinking for under-18s.

Experts say it provides evidence for a move away from the "harm minimisation" approach to teenage drinking and could even fuel a campaign to raise the legal drinking age.

The team at the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne say their study, which tracked 1520 young people's drinking habits over more than 10 years from the mid-teens, shows no "safe" or "sensible" level of drinking for adolescents.

Official guidelines from the National Health and Medical Research Council define a "low risk" level of drinking for adults as fewer than three standard drinks a day.

The researchers found that even at this level, teenagers increased their chances of alcohol abuse, social or legal problems, or alcohol-related high-risk sexual behaviours 10 years later.

I sort of agree.
  2. Sure, kids/teens should never be allowed to drink even a sip, until they are 21. That totally won't backfire.
  3. I guess that depends on parenting, doesn't it?

The report isn't prescriptive, just descriptive.
  4. Geeze all the neo-cons complaining about the 'risky teen drinking' again. One of the reasons why I don't like fairfax.

Try telling that to the germans, where the drinking age is 14 (in the company of parents, beer and wine only).

I don't believe that drinking is 'ever' completely safe, just like eating, sleeping and living. But trying to stop teens from drinking is asking for a serious issue when the reach the legal age.

And the only reason sexual behaviour is 'risky' is because some states make abortions so damn hard to get. Don't they see the irony?
  5. Wow! That article was almost alarming enough to distract me from the rising unemployment rate, the cost of housing, the failure of public transport and infrastructure, as well as the corruption of bureaucracy in local and state governments and departments.

Sure hope they can arrest another OMC member while he's carrying 8 rocket launchers and half a tonne of heroin, or gosh darnit, I might start asking myself tricky questions that affect the way I vote! :eek:
  6. You should really read before you post; the research was done by the Murdoch Children's Research Institute in Melbourne and reported by Fairfax.

Not to mention the standard Netrider methodology of trying to discredit the person making a report not liked.

Any bet is that the same research conducted in any country would yield the same results; alcohol is alcohol and kids are kids, worldwide.

Then of course, let's tell the real story, shall we?

At 14 - Children are allowed to consume and possess undistilled (fermented) alcoholic beverages, such as beer and wine, as long as they are in the company of their parents.
    At 16 - Undistilled drinks are allowed without a parent.
    At 18 - The child is now an adult and is allowed access to distilled liquor.

inconvenient? sorry..

Then, there's this

and while you're at it, check the poll on this subject on the ninemsn website
  7. Alcohol and drugs both present the same difficulties. They can only be dealt with by education, not prohibition. People like their vices and they'll fight if you try to take them away. And well they should. What people choose to do is their own business. Prohibit something and you only make it more desirable and a bigger problem - if prohibition worked there wouldn't be junkies.

As with pretty much everything else, it's about education. And not only education about alcohol, but education about respect for others, personal responsibility and so on.
  8. Get the kids on the bong instead. Calm them right down.

Ban red cordial too........
  9. The German law approach is pretty similar to the approach we used with our kids. Seems to be working pretty well so far.

Like any correlational study, this does not tell the whole story. How many of these kids and teens were introduced to alcohol early because their parents were problem drinkers, and were predisposed to be problem drinkers themselves by that rather than by their own use? How many of the parents who were teetotalers had kids who were lifelong teetotalers for religious reasons and therefore had zero alcohol use and zero potential for abuse.

It's a correlational study, not a medical study. And it probably just backs up common sense - if parents drink responsibly, model that and teach it, there is a safe level of use for teens. If they don't, there isn't.
  10. the key is probably teaching your kids MODERATION, and thats the path I am going down with mine.
  11. I guess that's what most parents have to do because the children don't give them a choice. I was at my neice's 18th birthday party on Saturday night and all she did all night was to whine at her two older borthers to take her out somewhere so she could drink.....
  12. And the current approach in this country is such a success.

One of the things that really struck me at the Valencia round of Motogp last year was the almost total absence of booze in the circuit. You could buy it, huge jugs of it, it's just that people weren't drinking it. Contrast that with any sporting event here and the total reliance on alcohol to have a good time.

In Valencia, they still know how to party, and the local town goes off during the evening (makes PI look incredibly tame), but getting off your head during the day was not on many peoples agenda.

It seems that Anglo Saxon countries have drinking issues. Australia, UK, America, Germany, all seem to have real issues with alcohol. Spain, France, Italy seem to have totally different approaches and not the same problems as us.
  13. How long has that German model been in place? That study reports a rapid increase over the past few years. If the model is much older than that - and I think it is but will do more research - something else must be blamed for a radical recent change...
  14. And the current approach in this country is such a success. cejay

What has that got to do with anything??? The assertion was made the German model was a success. Evidence was supplied that it's not. NOTHING was said about what's done here, except the original report which states, surprise, surprise, that there is no safe level of drinking for children and young adolescents, IRRESPECTIVE of location. It's not about METHODOLOGY, it's about exposure and its permanent and damaging effects.
  15. Paul, if you read my reply and look at it carefully, I'm not advocating any model.

I believe there is a real issue in this country and others. We, as a society, seem unable to have a drink without getting off our heads. Every sporting event seems to revolve around alcohol.

You posted a story about introducing kids to alcohol. In some countries, alcohol IS introduced, whether legally or not and their relationship with booze is different to ours.

What is undeniable is that our current approach, be it media, taxation, laws, is not resulting in a reduction in excessive alcohol consumption.
  16. Few logic holes there:

1. I don't think anyone specifically claimed the German model is a success, just that it exists as one possible alternative to what we do here. And what would count as a success? No model other than Prohibition (and not even that) is going to avoid 100% of abuse.

2. My question about how long the German model has been in place has been avoided. In the absence of that information, evidence has *not* been introduced showing the the German model is a failure.
  17. fair points both; I'm probably still a bit in shock with this issue being so close to me in the situation I mentioned on Saturday night. At least we dodged that bullet with our own children.