Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lets follow Texas

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by Tomcatalex, Jun 25, 2008.

1. Texas allows lane splitting. Written into law Sep. 1 2005.

relating to the operation and movement of motorcycles during
    periods of traffic congestion.

SECTION 1. Section 545.060, Transportation Code, is amended
    by amending Subsection (a) and adding Subsection (e) to read as
    (a) An operator on a roadway divided into two or more
    clearly marked lanes for traffic:
    (1) shall drive as nearly as practical entirely within
    a single lane, except as provided by Subsection (e); and
    (2) may not move from the lane unless that movement can
    be made safely.
    (e) The operator of a motorcycle may operate the motorcycle
    for a safe distance between lanes of traffic moving in the same
    direction during periods of traffic congestion if the operator:
    (1) is at least 21 years old;
    (2) has successfully completed a motorcycle operator
    training and safety course under Chapter 662;
    (3) is covered by a health insurance plan providing
    the operator with at least $10,000 in medical benefits for injuries
    incurred as a result of an accident while operating a motorcycle;
    (4) operates the motorcycle:
    (A) at a speed not more than five miles per hour
    over the speed of the other traffic;
    (8) in traffic that is moving at a speed of 20
    miles per hour or less; and
    (C) in a location other than a school crossing
    zone or other than a location where the posted speed limit is 20
    miles per hour or less.

2. Wow, even though the title in the thread was about lane splitting, I assumed you meant filtering until I got to paragraph 4 where is clearly sets boundaries around splitting...

I never thought splitting would be legalised anywhere as it is inherently quite dangerous whereas filtering is much less dangerous.

3. :LOL: :LOL:

Good to see some legislation around it though, I like it.
  4. Yeah, pretty well thought out IMHO.

Not sure about
    though. It might be safer to simply put a maximum speed of say 25mph on it and let the riders choose the best differential speed according to circumstance.

I think there is a reasonable long term chance that we could get something like this up here, with a max speed of say 25kph, or onlyin stationary traffic. But maybe not with the current administrations.
  5. Ok this may come across as a stupid question to some but, Whats the difference between lane splitting and filtering?
  6. It's usually defined, around here at least, such that filtering is a moving bike going between lanes of stationary cars, whereas with filtering the cars are moving.
  7. So you can split at 5mph in traffic going at 20mph?
    That's not a 2 wheeled pinyata at all!
    Edit: Oops I read it wrong, it's speed limit + 5mph.
  8. No, the 5 mph is the speed *difference* between the bike and cars. So you would be doing up to 25 in splitting between traffic moving at 20.

Incidentally, it's the *relative* speed to the traffic that has the potential to get you in trouble initially, but once you fall off it's the *absolute* (ok nerds, it's still relative but you know what I mean) speed in relation to the ground that will hurt.
  9. Splitting - when someone travels between two lanes vehicles at cruising speed (I.E, commuting speeds, or "keeping up" with the speed of the traffic)

Filtering - When someone travels between two lanes of vehicles while the vehicles are stationary (I.E. Traffic Lights),
    Slow moving (I.E. Traffic Jam), coming to a stop (Approaching lights, when traffic is less then 20-30 kph), or leaving a stop (Where a rider tries to sort their lane position out (via swerving or indicating) before the traffic approaches cruise speed.

When someone cuts past you while you're at speed in the cage and you think, "Damn, that was close", that is splitting.

If it's falling off in traffic, it's the relative distance that the surrounding traffic has to avoid you. :p (As a work colleague of mine witnessed last year - some poor bastard doing a pinball between two cars before coming off.)
  10. well i'll be buggered.a seemingly logical law coming out of texas.
    but if we are going to follow theyre laws,i demand that i be allowed to carry a gun whilst riding as well.
  11. But as I said above - the proposed law was pulled and never even made it to a vote... :evil:
  12. I lived in Texas for 3 years - all the rules are very liberal over there.

The drink driving limit was only recently changed from .1 to .08, it was recently legal to be driving with a beer in your hand.

The roads are insane though - I did not ride a bike over there (had a Mustang Cobra convertible instead). Too many cars cutting across 5 or 6 lanes of traffic to catch an exit they forgot about.

A friend of mine has a hot rod he needs a special license for when he takes it to the drags because it does the 1/4 mile under a certain time. The same car is also completely street legal! It only does about 3 miles a gallon, so he doesn't drive it on the road, but he could!
  13. Wow, the proposed law seems pretty reasonable.

I wish they'd do that over here, I'd be more than happy to have a limited rego on my street/strip car. Instead they setup a defect station outside the drag strip to screw over anyone who'd dare to "take it to the track", which ironically are the words that cops love to preach. It should be "take it to the track so we don't have to waste time driving around looking for you next time".
  14. Really liked the insurance bit, it's saying "this is dangerous, but if you can afford to be patched up, so be it". How that is to be policed I wouldn't know though.