Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Let Karma Take Care Of It

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' at netrider.net.au started by Bravus, Nov 12, 2008.

1. I started out mostly thinking about it in relation to bike riders, and the things drivers do to them. For some reason on one particular trip home last week people pulled out in front of me 3 times. I had my lights on as usual, was doing everything the same as usual - just one of those odd statistical clusters, I guess. The final one, just before home, was close enough to double my heart rate. And then on the way home yesterday I split past a truck and he yelled ‘Oh, you idiot’ out his window as I went past.

In that last case I just gave him a cheery wave and rode on. I could have given him a different sort of gesture, but I do tend to think that the more birds you set free in the world, the more you get back! And he was in a truck and I’m on a bike - enraging him is probably not a particularly smart survival move.

I was also thinking about it because one of the riders who posts on the Netrider forum had had a taxi pull out on him without indicating. He stopped and got off the bike to go and have a few words with the taxi driver when the opportunity presented itself - and almost got done for assault by the cops who magically appeared. And having got off the bike, he’d kind of left himself open to it.

I’m not talking about karma in any mystical sense, and I apologise to any Hindu or Buddhist readers who think I’m just appropriating an idea. I’m talking about it more as the simple operation of cause and effect.

I could remonstrate with someone who pulls out in front of me without looking, but yelling at them is only going to lead to conflict, and the potential of me getting beaten up or arrested or my bike damaged. Not to mention stressing me out. But really, if they have the consistent habit of pulling out without looking, then sooner or later it won’t be a bike they’re in front of but another car, or a truck. Then I hope the other driver is as alert as me, and all the puller-outer gets is enough of a scare to remind them to be more careful.

So karma takes care of it - people who are consistently pleasant will, on average (but not always) find other people to be more pleasant in return, while people who are agressive will encounter aggression - and eventually it will be from someone bigger or tougher than them. People who drive carelessly will keep driving carelessly - and encounter the consequences.

I do like the core concept of ‘karma’, at least as Wikipedia describes it - we’re each responsible for our own lives and our own actions. If we consciously take that to heart - being responsible for acting in good ways in the world, and not worrying too much about correcting others’ actions - it seems to me that the world would be a better place.

So on the bike or wherever else - let karma take care of it.

2. Same applies to hysterical media stories about teh eebul bikX0rz, I guess

3. I think you are spot on with this mate. I am someone who is very far from believing in any mystical mumbo jumbo but I do think that actions which promote good things lead people to treat you better (in general, still the odd person who hurls abuse etc.).

I think it's a great philosophy to have and it doesn't need to invoke anything any more special than being nice to everyone around you and treating people how you want to be treated.

Good effort, I wish more people thought like you do.

4. You're right of course. I've known it ever since I abused car full of hoons - whilst hemmed in in traffic - when I was on L's (idiot me...).

But y'know, I just can't seem to keep a lid on it of late. Not just on the bike either. A week ago I jumped out of the family car (with family aboard) to put a rocket up some fool in a supermarket carpark. The little'uns are learning some unfortunate words from me in the car lately, too.

The fuse is short these days, and I pretty much regret it when I let things get the better of me. Even when I'm within my moral rights. I'm not often in a blazing hurry so it shouldn't happen, but I tell ya, some people just know how to pull your chain, don't they?

Got to learn to let it go. Again.

5. I believe the phrase "Do unto others....etc" applies as well. But here's hoping those 4 morons in the jeep that nearly wrote my wife and daughter out by running a red at great speed meet a brick wall(or a Cop and a judge with balls), and not another vehicle. Noone deserves to be the tool of Karma's reply.

6. I know you're distinguishing your use of 'karma' from a Buddhist use (though they would disagree, in the sense of pointing out that their concept is closer to your preferred definition than you realise), but I really love the writings on anger to be found in the canonical Buddhist literature, where its image is like an object that gets passed around, and (staying with that metaphor) which we can learn not to accept or pick up. This is one of my favourite stories from the Scriptures, 'The Reviler':

"Once while the Blessed One [Buddha] stayed near Rajagaha in the Veluvana Monastery at the Squirrels' Feeding Place, there lived at Rajagha a Brahman of the Bharadvaja clan who was later called "the Reviler." When he learned that one of his clan had gone forth from home life and had become a monk under the recluse Gotama, he was angry and displeased. And in that mood he went to see the Blessed One, and having arrived he reviled and abused him in rude and harsh speech.

Thus being spoken to, the Blessed One said: "How is it, Brahman: do you sometimes receive visits from friends, relatives or other guests?"

"Yes, Master Gotama, I sometimes have visitors."

"When they come, do you offer to them various kinds of foods and a place for resting?"

"Yes, I sometimes do so."

"But if, Brahman, your visitors do not accept what you offer, to whom does it then belong?"

"Well, Master Gotama, if they do not accept it, these things remain with us."

"It is just so in this case, Brahman: you revile us who do not revile in return, you scold us who do not scold in return, you abuse us who do not abuse in return. So we do not accept it from you and hence it remains with you, it belongs to you, Brahman..."

[The Buddha finally said:]
    "Whence should wrath rise for him who void of wrath,
    Holds on the even tenor of his way,
    Self-tamed, serene, by highest insight free?

"Worse of the two is he who, when reviled,
    Reviles again. Who doth not when reviled,
    Revile again, a two-fold victory wins.
    Both of the other and himself he seeks
    The good; for he the other's angry mood
    Doth understand and groweth calm and still.
    He who of both is a physician, since
    Himself he healeth and the other too —
    Folk deem him a fool, they knowing not the Norm [True Way]."

7. Very nice indeed.

8. yesterday some car moved out of the way for me to split through. I was thinking "awesome"!!!

as I split pass, i realise it was a hawt chick driver!!! double awesome!!!! made my day

It doesnt pay to agro drivers. If they try something, riders always come out worst.

9. Hippies.

10. Well said Bravus.

I tend to think along the same lines and try to keep my cool on the roads.

At the end of the day, rage doesn't bring results and we as riders are soft and squishy :p :LOL:

11. A buddhist rocker, good read Matt!

Oh and this guy has karma worked out.

my_name_is_earl_DVD1.

Or is it this one? I get confused! :LOL:

[​IMG]

12. Oi, Bravus, you're being excessively rational and conciliatory at the moment. If you keep it up the Forum Police will be round to revoke your internet connection priviledges :wink: .

13. There is no such thing as karma.
    The universe just screws people at random... like a blind, bisexual nymphomaniac.

14. :LOL: I love this response (and no I'm not being a smartarse). As long as she's female, no complaints here.

ps. Well said Bravus, as much as people in cars p!ss me off when they "accidentally" put me in danger with their driving, I tend to (though not always) just shrug it off and shake my head. There's very little to gain with losing the plot at others, unfortunately we're in a lot more vulnerable position on the road than the cages.

15. @ mattb: That is an excellent story, and quite pertinent to the point. If I'm glowering inside my helmet, swearing at somebody who has cut me off or pulled out in front of me, who does it affect? The driver? Not at all. They are in their own little world, and my anger doesn't bother them one bit. But I have to ride along feeling sour and disgruntled. Is my enjoyment of the ride diminished? You bet.

So who suffers?

Me.

And if that isn't karma I don't know what is.

@ Bravis: Excellent post. You've actually caught the spirit of karma really well. It is not a strange mystical force, simply the consequences of our own actions coming back to us.

16. A friend of mine has a trained rotty attack dog named karma :p

17. I agree with the general sentiments expressed in this thread but would like to add to the "Why Get Angry?" maxim, with a "...Get Even!"

Break their side mirror or dent a panel. It'll not only give you a sense of justice, but also monetarily burden the offender for their negligence.

You're just helping Karma do its job, Karma will in turn thank you with icecream and other sweet stuff, like sex.

18. LOL. you first :]

19. A principle of causality (karma): the effect is like to the cause. Take things to the next level, and expect an effect on that level. Car vs bike in a physical shit-fight...car wins!

I've only once threatened a driver with physical damage to his car (four weeks ago), and that was only because he was knowingly pushing me off the road - he very quickly backed away! Other than self-defense (in the strict sense), there's absolutely no place for this on the road!