Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lest we forget

Discussion in 'The Pub' started by TRA, Apr 24, 2011.

1. Gents, this is a big day for me. I have the utmost respect for any person that has gone into conflict to make our lives as good as what they are today. I have been attending the dawn service since I was old enought to walk. Now it means a whole lot more to me, because I go with a former neigbour and 2 other vets in my street. My former neigbour is in his 90's and the most modest man I have met, and is now in a home. This guy with his decorated history makes it hard not to feel proud. My grandfather also fought for this country, and I have his service medals.

How lucky are we here in Australia? We are living in the best country on planet earth thanks to these people.

Whilst I know the full Ode, here is the part that we are all familiar with:

They shall not grow old, as we that are left grow old,
    Age shall not weary them, nor the years condemn,
    At the going down of the sun, and in the morning,
    We shall remember them.
    Lest we forget
  2. My grandfather and grandmother were in WW2. Sadly my grandfather passed away a few years back. Anzac day for me is a day to remember him and all others who fought to protect this fantastic country we live in.

Lest we forget.
  3. Many fought for our grand country, many lost their lives for our country, and our country owes it to all involved.
    Indeed, lest we forget !
  4. Lest we forget.
  5. Lest we forget.
    Unfortunately the dawn service i attended had no bugler and forgot the cd withthe last post, it was quite strange with no lastpost.
  6. Agreed, I been working all night and it was so great to see how many people were up early to get to the dawn service, I'm dissapointed I couldn't go, but will chuck on the march when I get home and pay my respects. I beleive ANZAC day is our true Australia Day, seeing how many people come together to pay respects to those who have given their lives for this great country.
  7. Lest we forget.
  8. Great movie on sbs last night called GALLIPOLI. Live and let live.
    Looking forward to attending a dawn service in Türkiye in the next few years.
  9. I'm not sure if they are screening it today but there is a very good documentary on the Galipolli campaign that I've seen before. It has the story told from both sides and I found it quite interesting to see how Turkey perceived our landing on their shores and how it created a national hero for them.

I'm proud to be an Australian and to see that such an auspicious day is used to remember and commemorate our service men and women, and is not a nationalisitic celebration of war like some other countries have.
  10. The doco played last night on sbs as per my previous post. I'm sure they'll screen it a few more times thruout the week. I had watched it when it first came out at the local cinemas here.
    While watching last night I was touched even more as I just visited the Australian war memorial 2 days ago and saw all the real life war pieces so everything was still fresh and the fact I have ties to both sides aswell.
  11. As a former soldier (serving in a a VERY non-combatant role, I must add) let me add my tribute to those who, in the lesser-known words of Binyon's poem

They went with songs to the battle, they were young.
    Straight of limb, true of eyes, steady and aglow.
    They were staunch to the end against odds uncounted,
    They fell with their faces to the foe.

lest we ever forget