Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lessons learned when changing my exhaust

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by simo253, Jun 18, 2016.

1. So I thought I'd share a few lessons from changing my exhaust.

I ordered a full system from screaming demon and got it posted over, it arrived and I was keen to get to work on swapping over from the stock exhaust to my new ixil system.

I was hoping the package might include some new gaskets. Lesson 1. You need to order gaskets separately.

Anyway I though it'll be right, its a new bike the existing gaskets will be alright, only thing is that cb650 has copper crusher gaskets so they were never going to work with a different exhaust. So of course I got it all fitted up fired her up and shore enough it was leaking. Lesson 2. you need new gaskets.

So I did what any young bloke would do and tightened it up a bit. I don't have a torque wrench but I thought, I'll be able to feel when I'm going to hard, and I was only using a small ratchet. Shore enough I felt it when I snapped the stud off. Lesson 3 don't over torque your exhaust!

Anyway so not wanting to go down to Honda with the bike and get the parts or get them to fix it because I was embarrassed I jumped online and ordered a new stud, and a spare, as well as a set of new gaskets. Then I had a 3 week wait for the studs to come from Honda.

Anyway got the stud today, pulled the exhaust off, drilled the old stud and pulled it out with an easy out I got from supercheap. It all went pretty smoothly and I had the exhaust back on with no leaks in under 3 hours. Lesson 4 do it right, do it once, taking shortcuts is never a good idea.

The first time I did it I also took off a few of the fairings as shown in the photos. that was also a waste of time, it didn't make access to the nuts any easier. I didn't do it the second time! IMG_20160507_093221.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 3
  2. Congratulations, isn't it always those quick jobs that end up taking days. So was it worth it, how does it sound now?
  3. It sounds alright, nice to have an exhaust note. The stock system was way too tame. I haven't run it without the baffles in yet, might be testing the relationship with the neighbours a bit haha but I'm keen to hear it in full voice.
  4. You know that the only people not to make a mistake is: those people that are not willing to try something new. You got there in the end, so well done.