Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lesson learnt - Damn white paint!

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by Pockets, Aug 19, 2012.

1. Hey all, just thought I should share my recent spill. Happened on kings way right after the hungry jacks heading towards the city. Was travelling along in light rain in the second most right lane sitting at around 60. Someone in the lane to the left decided they quickly needed to throw a U-turn and they cut across to my lane in front of me and hit the brakes hard. I started to brake hard as well and at this time I was coming up to an intersection with a massive arrow painted in the middle of it.

As soon as I hit the paint the bike was on the ground and 2 seconds later so was I. It wasn't "I'm crashing, what can i do" more like "oh shit i just crashed". Quickly looked behind me as I was on a busy road hoping no cars were still coming at 60km/h. Got up and was in a fair amount of shock, 2 guys came over to lift the bike and move it to the side of the road. Offered to call an ambo or drive me to the hospital but wasn't in to much pain so just called a taxi home.

Sorted the bike out later that night and got it home. Not too bad on the damage side fairings all scratched up, exhaust dinted and scratched, missing indicator and the usual scrapes on footpeg, brake lever, bar ends, mirror. Off getting fixed by streetmaster at the moment who has been awesome since the night of the crash was on the phone to him. So yes that means no insurance.

Lessons learnt - I knew that white paint would be slippery but did not think it would just throw my bike down. Also instead of just braking hard I could have looked for another exit point i.e quick head check and lane change though it was busy (around 5:45pm in the city).

Also looking for some advice, could have applying majority back brake in this situation been better? I know the back wheel would have slid and kicked out a bit. But using mostly front brake in this situation didn't seem to fly to well. Open to all other criticism not that I need your permission I'm sure :)!
  2. Bad luck bud.
    Brakes are a feel. And all good when it is all good. Add a bit of OMG and they work better than you would like.
    Could you have gone around him.
    Did you do an exercise when being licensed where you had to brake then release and go left or right depending on the arrow or instructors hand
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Glad you got out uninjured. We should all be so lucky.

It's good practice to always ride around the painted arrows/markings on the road where possible, so it's like 2nd nature when it really counts in the wet. In circumstances where there's no choice but to ride over painted surfaces which are wet I always reduce my braking pressure significantly, focusing more on engine braking over that period.

In scenarios where you need to cross paint, and where applicable (stop lines, traffic lights etc), try braking firmer prior to the painted surface to wipe off the majority of your speed prior to hitting the paint, so you've less speed to wipe off once you've crossed that surface. If you stay smooth and true with minimal braking on those surfaces, and practice riding around the paint where you can regardless of weather, you should be safe from this reoccurring in future.
  4. Got that test on the 25th my friend still on L's. With the time and it being peak hour there were cars to the left and the right and with sudden reaction required I guess I put it to not having the experience to be able to quickly look and slot in.
  5. I'll also say I did have a sore shoulder and back and booked in to see Jon at Elsternwick Physio. He does physio work for some motocross teams and had my shoulder and back fixed pretty much instantly so would highly recommend him.

As for my gear..... top knotch shit, you could not notice i'd been in a crash at all.
  6. what gear you holding?
    • Like Like x 2
  7. Spidi leather jacket, RST Countour Pro pants, Dainese 4 stroke gloves, some form of RST boots and a Shark S900 helmet.
  8. Yea, them RST pants are legit. they're a fair bit cheaper than other stuff but seem to hold up well.
    And +1 on Dainese gloves. I've only got some titanium race ones, but theyve been tested for sure.

the helmet wouldn't have made contact...?

Boots get scuffed? I've only just goten into the habit of ALWAYS wearing mine after a fairly good run of being lazy and lucky.
  9. Wet or dry, I'm in the habit of staying in the wheel tracks near intersections.
    Even if there aren't painted arrows etc, stopped cars tend to drop oil,,, Just as dangerous!
    As stated, try to wash off as much speed before you get to any paint (sometimes easier said than done in an e-situation)
    Also, in the wet, just watch where you put your foot down when you stop. Had my foot slide out ONCE, never again!!! (y)
  10. Mmm...at least now when someone says don't brake on any white lines etc, you know just how treacherous they are. Pass that knowledge along to everyone who'll listen to you.

You have to brake, but be very gentle. If that's no going help you enough you must have an escape route, ie. could you have filtered and braked between the cars?

Do not think the the rear brake only is a a substitute for the front. It never will be.

This is exactly why you must be reasssessing escape routes on the fly. It's a perfect scenario for one, if you've been able to think ahead.
    It's not always possible but you need to ride dynamically. In a constant state of preparedness. That can't happen 100% of the time, but opportunities open and close around you all the time.
  11. Yes I had been warned by a few people about the white paint. I probably could have chosen another escape route by slowing down and thinking rather than just grabbing for brake in an emergency which I had also been warned about. In the end I just should have been thinking a lot more than I was when faced with the situation.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. You must report your injury to the whomever it is that you report road accident injuries to, immediately. (Sorry, it's not coming to mind)

You must! 10 years from now that tightness in the back could plague you!

• Like Like x 1
  13. Kudos to you for being so honest with yourself. You just can't progress unless you can face your own failings at the time.
    Respect! Now you know consciously, what to try and do for next time. It's tough to maintain a high level of concentration, as we need to, but really...it's just experience and skill growth that will get you there...

Good to see you weren't too badly injured but PUT A CLAIM IN. :)
  14. Buy a bike with ABS. This is one scenario where ABS would likely have kept you upright.
  15. Sorry to hear about your accident. When the front wheel goes out from under you, things happen very quickly. Damned cagers can behave unpredictably at the best of times, but for some reason i find that bad weather seems to bring the really bad drivers out of the woodwork too. Glad that you seem to be okay, although it might be worth still be worth getting yourself checked out properly just in case.

Eta: good to see that the OP is thinking about what went wrong.. some fine advice from raven as usual too.
  16. I am prettysure i
    would have got up and thumped him
    At least a good mouthful or did continue on none the wiser ?
  17. I just wanted to focus on this a bit for the sake of other riders, who may not appreciate it, or scoff because they just don't believe it.

Large White paint arrows or pedestrian markings etc offer a whole new world of 'here's my face, let's smash it on the ground' or 'here's my shoulder'let's shatter my collar bone' types of crashes.
    There is no warning, except the sight of them, to what mind-jarringly is an instantaneous event.
    We aren't used to this, we are taught how to brake, some idiot called 'raven' is always on our cases about braking, how can the bike just throw us riders down so quickly? The op is over exadurating.

NUP these white painted lines, if you meet them just not quite perfectly, will suck your body down onto the ground before you even had a chance to take your hands off the bars.
    And!...you sometimes don't even need to be braking or turning. Riding along in traffic, just maintaining your positio with a steady throttle and the camber of the road alone, can take the bike out from under you. I can attest to that personally.

Yes, or I mean no, you can cross them and probably will many times, but don't let that cloud your judgement. If it's the first days rain after a few days without rain, especially in summer, these surfaces are gonna reach out and take the bike right out from under you. Exactly the same as a painted white line parallel to your direction will also!

Get to know them like the back of your hand on you commute leg, and don't get complacent.

I swear these painted surfaces are a life form living off car oil and tyre remnants, and now and again they like a snack of plastics as well.
    So... "do not feed the animals".
    • Like Like x 4
  18. Glad your ok mate hope to see u down Sat prac again real soon. :)
  19. Don't bet on it!!
    Mine's got ABS. Won't save you on these types of slippery surfaces.
    That includes wet tram tracks & steel manhole covers!
    ABS just can't react as fast as the tyre as it slides sideways on the paint, you're already on the ground!
    As [MENTION=16699]raven[/MENTION] pointed out, these white arrows (when wet) can take you down even without braking, just the camber of the road.

Direct from my owners manual,
    ABS cannot compensate for adverse road conditions.

But we won't get into a big discussion on good V evil on ABS.
    Been done to adnauseum on NR previously!!!
  20. Bike will be ride-able tomorrow! (y)