Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Less than zero

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by dsyfer, May 16, 2012.

1. Faaaarrrrrk it was cold this morning, it hit below -0 for the first time this year up near home, numb fingers within five minutes of heading down the hill.
    Pain within 15mins, gotta get those heated grips sorted.

2. 0ºc, you're living in the tropics then. So far this week, the average morning temp has been -3ºc. I don't want to work out wind chill, cause that would make it a lot worse. Yes, heated handgrips are worth it...when they work. Bloody dodge control boxes
    • Like Like x 1
  3. cheap solutions - rubber gloves under your bike gloves, plastic mittens over the gloves. Slightly move expensive, fit some kind of "bark buster" that is large enough to deflect the wind.
  4. Fuarrrk I thought riding at 8 degrees was bad in NSW. I want heated grips anyways :(
  5. I used to leave my gloves on the heater for 5 mins on winter mornings in Canberra.
    Fingertips would just be going numb when I arrived at work after a 20 min ride.
  6. Four40 is right.

Untill you have lived and ridden in canberra you have not experienced how bad life can be.

Both because it is cold, and because it is a bad place to live.
  7. Heated grips are a good idea. So are bark busters.

Watch out for ice and frost on the road. Grip levels can go from bad to non-existent with no warning.

Beware cars where every piece of glass is fogged up inside.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. harden the f uck up!

i have found the best gloves are $10 riggers from your favourite hardware store!
    just get a texta aswell, colour them black!

better than $100 gloves, and they are real leather

keep out the cold real good, unless they are wet

great feel (which is why i have them) and tough, they mold to your hands

and no one would even think of nicking them!

(If your gloves are vented there is your problem)
    you can warm your hands on the exhaust pipe
  9. Do what I do, use ski gloves, $5 bargain basement. I've been meaning to get an XL pair to put over my leather ones. -3 degrees in the morning here lately too =/
  10. ...and thin, silk inners work a treat.....warm as toasties + there's always the lean down and warm the hands on the cylinders trick.....essential in me ol Pommie ridin days.
  11. DG, you're right but fair warning, they are only wrist gloves usually...that can be peeled down easily in a slide down the road.
    To keep your hands, you need very secure gauntlet type gloves....weather you get them from mitre10, or a bike shop.
  12. yeah i knew someone would have a cry about that.
    they seem secure (as dads old gauntlets) (but we all know that means nothing)

i will work on a strap or something, coz i truly believe they are the best!
    (they even have a star on them for tryhardness!)

I have a new pair of nice deerskin gauntlets but the leather is so thin
    compared to the riggers.

I have big thick winter gloves aswell, but i can't stand them because you can't feel anything

same as $10 safety glasses, you can throw em in the bin and spit on them, go out and get a brand new pair the next day. Instead of losing your oakleys or alpinestars and crying

Yeah i hit the road at about 70kph with dads old gauntlets, felt like it had ripped my palms clean off, but it only split the seams and ruined the gloves, hands fine!
  13. Have a fekking 'cry'?...WHAT!... That would mean I give a stuff...but I don't. Wear whatever you want. By your smart mouth, you know the risks.

I comment for the sake of those that might not appreciate the dangers of wrist gloves, even if you do tie them. A good slide down the road, and your wrists will get torn to shreds when you instinctively put your hands out, and the glove peels down.

I mention such things because I've experienced them. Which you haven't as yet, apparently. Or you'd be wearing good value gauntlets exclusively, as I do now.
    And both my ugly experiences were enduro riding through the bush. So it was gravel and stones. Nothing on the road so far, and I don't want to find out. Seen it enough.
  14. Gotta give a +1 to this. Had on a good pair of gauntlet gloves when I came off last year and rashed them to bits, however they stayed on and saved my palms; still broke my thumb though...[-(
  15. As cheap alternative to real gloves, I'd take rigger's gloves over no gloves or a pair of rubber washing up gloves. In a small low speed drop where your hand doesn't get caught under the handlebar, they suffice.

As a winter glove, again, they're a tiny bit better than no gloves at all.

You can't feel much or ride real well when your hands go numb, either. And shortly after that, they stop working. You want front brake - fingers just won't obey. Now what?

My wife has a really good set of DryRider Alpine gauntlets. I don't like them unless it's cold. You can't feel a real lot and they tend to get damp and clammy inside pretty quick. But when the temp hits single figures - I'll fight her for them! They are BRILLIANT!!
  16. I have the oxford sports heated grips on their way... will let you know how they go!
  17. (If your hands really are in danger of getting too cold, HINT you are riding on a heater)

Raven good to hear you crank some dirt i was picturing you as exclusively tarmac.

have you ever seen moto-x gloves????????????????????????
    the are made of paper, and chad reed would have worn them since he was six.
    alpinestar road race gloves aren't much better either

riggers are 1000% tougher than these AND they block out 100% of the wind.
    they have excellent feel, as they are literally a second skin

I am in Tassie, so i know about cold and numb hands.
    riggers block out the cold for a good amount of time, even around 0 degrees

I have grazed my palms on many a moon, i have split seams, i have worn bike gloves, motox gloves, gauntlets made of deerskin, gaunlets of leather, big winter gloves, no gloves, alpinestars and any in between

I believe riggers will give ANY of them a good run for their money.
    actually, they are a hell of a lot cheaper

The one weakness is as you say, a fastening system, but i am sure this is not too hard to fix.
  18. That's fine, and as I said, apart from the gaping at the wrists where if you slide backwards they can peel back and expose your wrists, they aren't too shabby.

I was born on a Honda Dax, souped up a little SL70. Got a Honda 400/4 when old enough, nearly died, so went back to the bush on a YamahaXT-500 for a few years. Had to tolerate RM125's and RM250's everywhere. Riding one of them was just a sh!tfight on a bike. My big thumper would throw cow pack sized clods of mud at 'em. Loved that. Here a zing box coming, and hit the gas. I could almost here 'em grunt, when I got a bullseye!
    Then I nearly died again and HAD to get off them.
    A few yrs later I was back on a bike for work, and the over-riding for 6 or so yr or so killed my interest. The rest is boring until 2004. Bikes again.
  19. You and I have to stop this 'nearly died' shit, mate. It's bad for our health.

My 400/4 nearly killed me twice, in fact. Bastard little thing! Trading up to a GS750, then going and getting my actual, legal road license, were about the two best moves I ever made. I'd already managed to break the camchain adjuster on the 400/4, by not properly understanding how it worked, and trying to do an adjustment, so I just left it get looser. Another bloke wanted to have a turn (after I'd had the GS for a few weeks) so I let him, and the little demon dropped its camchain while sitting at a set of lights, at idle, while someone else was on it. He was mortified. I was overjoyed! He asked me how much I wanted for it. I told him he could have it. I wrote up a receipt for him that said he paid me $500 for it, but no money ever changed hands. I was just glad to see the back end of it.

I really shouldn't have been so critical of my 400/4. They're really not such a bad machine. Knowing what I know today, I think the swing arm bearings were shot, the rear shocks were past their UseBy, the tyres were nothing special, and the clutch was worn out and needed all new friction plates. Previously, I'd owned a clapped out Suzuki 120cc commuter, really stuffed, and a KE175, which was pretty new when I got my hands on it, but I rode it into the ground. The 400 was my first road-bike, and I got it on the afternoon of my 16th birthday. It had had a hard life already, but it was the first multi cylinder bike I'd ever ridden, and it'd do 163k - I was SOLD! Six days later, on chistmas eve 1978, the damn thing threw me down the road on the Newcastle Freeway at top speed, and I spent Christmas in the Gosford District Hospital, with no skin on my arse.