Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Less revs at speed??

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by uncorider11, Mar 15, 2006.

1. Hello all,
    I recently purchased a Suzuki Intruder VL250 as my first bike. After taking it out on the motorway a few times I began to wonder how I could possibly lower the revs at high speeds. I will be using the bike to travel to work which is about 45kms one way, and most of that distance is 90-100km zones.

Should I fit a larger rear sprocket? How much power will I have to sacrifice down low?

Or maybe I should cut my losses and get a bigger bike?

Thanks heaps people
  2. You mean a smaller rear spocket !!

All depends on how much power/torque your bike has in lower revs.
    Do you have 5 or 6 gears ?

3. cut ur losses and get a bigger bike :grin: :grin:
    you will be much happier
  4. Changing the sprocket will lower the revs however the problem will be whether the engine has enough power at that lower RPM to actually push the bike at 100kph (ie overcome wind resistance). So there's going to be a limit to how much you can actually drop the revs and obviously you'll also lose acceleration.
  5. Agree with above, if you had HP to burn then yeah a smaller sprocket would make a difference however if the ponies are a little thin on the ground (I know how you feel) then it's probably not worth it. Most higher 250's will rev high it's the nature of the beast. Heck my 500 twin revs it's butt off but a 100-120kph it's right in the powerband (5-6000rpm). You may just have to live with it until you can upgrade.
  6. You should be able to get away with a tooth or 2 smaller on the rear but keep in mind you will have to work the clutch more in traffic.

So if all you are doing is freeway/highway work then go for it. Otherwise leave it alone
  7. Why do you want to lower the revs? I presume you're wanting to improve the fuel economy. Increasing the gearing may have the adverse effect, and you may use more fuel as the engine will be under an increased load to arrive at cruising speed. Once cruising however, it may use a little less fuel.

Increasing the gearing may also wear out engine parts and the clutch prematurely.

You may have to end up lumping it until you upgrade.
  8. Thanks people, Great input!

Might go for the upgrade I think.
  9. Generally speaking most 250's are setup with optimal gearing and sprocket ratios. They don't have sufficient top end or torque to allow much adjustment. I think you will find that any changes you make away from the standards will have a dramatic impact and will be detrimental. Big bikes (eg 1000cc) have a lot more to play with and as such you can add/drop a tooth on a front or back sprocket and the bike will still perform as it has the power to cater for these changes.