Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Legality of external tyre plugs

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by deyago, Aug 26, 2005.

1. Here's a question for you: Are those tyre plugs you insert from the outside into the tyre legal?

I've been told that they are not and I question this opinion. You can buy them quite freely from Autobarn so I wonder. This opinion was given to me by Tim, the motorcycle tyre fitter at Bob Jane who also claimed that he could not plug a punture on the shoulder of the tyre as it was not going to hold. You don't even want to know what he thinks about that goop you spray into the tyre..... :LOL:

I invite any and all opinions but I'm really after someone who can quote chapter and verse from the holy books of Om on the matter. I'm not keen on forking out another $280 for a tyre if what I have is 1)legal and 2)up to the job.

No besmirching of Tim on my part, he could just have made a few quick buck out of me and I'd be none the wiser if it was right or not, I'm just after more info.

2. I haven't got my Holy Book of Om handy but I believe the from inside plugs are legal (have had them done on a few occasions) but the from the outside plugs are not because they can pop out under pressure.

There may be limits on where they can use it and of course the size of the hole they can plug.

As a side issue, I'm glad to see you posting today considering the fatal "incident" on Footscray Rd last night involved a Footscray resident.
  3. Shit, really?? :shock:

Good thing I've heard from Mel today or I'd have freaked!

Any details?

(way to go jake, gone OT on your own thread by the second post :LOL: )

OK back OT, that's basically what he said too, with the addition that pluging the shoulder isn't really possible as there is too much movement in that part of the tyre and combined with the heat the plug could/would come loose. Given I've done a track day with it as it is I'm either a lucky bugger or a magnificent tyre repairer.....hmmmm :wink:
  4. If one of you guys sends me you email address I'll send you some photos of what happens when tyre plugs fail. It will make you shit your pants. Either that or make you join RACV next time you get a puncture.
  5. Rider hit a truck was in todays herald sun
  7. Yes

Good practice, but still legal

You won't find anyone. There is no laws in Australia (UK and other countries have them) covering temporary tyre repairs. Australian Standard AS1973 covers tyre repairs by qualified repairer, but this is "best practice" only and still not law.

Any tyre repair would not be "up to the job" on a motorcycle IMHO, unless "the job" is nothing more than 80km/h scooter like speeds and usage. No twisties unless very slow space and speed limited on straights. For your type of ridig Jake, I certainly wouldn't trust a repair and wonder why your even considering it? Your life (or time in a hospital) is worth more than $280!

Morally and professionaly, he's right. Legally, he's could be wrong. (Repaired tyres still have to meet roadworthy laws)
  8. Thanks Jason, that's the sort of info I'm after. Like Tim said, had it been in the middle, no real problems, but that's not the case here.

I was under the impression a properly plugged tyre was good to do basically what a normal tyre would do. Since I'm not into playing Russian roulette with this, I'll just have to shell out the $$$ :cry: :roll: .

I was hoping someone would point me in the direction of some tyre guru who could fix it up and make all my problems go away, Chorus="tell him he's dreamin'" yeah, ok. I'm not keen on seeing how good my handwork will hold up at pace at PI now that I've picked up a second nail in the last couple of days.

Shite, fark, shitey, shite, fark!

Can someone buy me a tyre for my Birthday???
  9. I think that, with a car tyre, because there is so much more of it in contact with the road, the issue is not as critical as it is with a bike tyre.

Given that the plug itself will weigh something, and that balance and roundness of a bike tyre is critical, I'd be reluctant to use a plug on anything more than a "get you home" basis.

That's not talking legality, that's just my take on the safety aspect.