Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Legalities - Mirrors

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by thetrumpetplayer, Jul 20, 2012.

1. Hey all,
    Just wondering what the current laws on bar end mirrors is like?
    I've heard some differing opinion and conjecture, but no solid answers.
    I'm talking specifically about the ones that curve a bit and sit just slightly under the grip.
    Sorry if this has been asked before here, but I'm on an iPhone, no tapatalk, and clicking search doesn't work terribly well.

2. Not illegal.

As long as they're big enough and don't have any nasty, pointy bits on them for spiking pedestrians, they're fine.
  3. Nothing as such, problem is most are far to small to be legal. Mine are below the handle bars, doesn't even look like they're there most of the time.
  4. No, lots of bars where I drink have them
  5. As lucifer said, they just need to be big enough. The tiny 50c sized ones are not legal for example, but the CRG Arrow ones are.

There's also a specific diameter the curve in the glass, but I doubt the police would be able to check if the meet that requirement so wouldn't worry about it.
  6. Google NCOP light vehicles, shouldbe infrastructure.gov.au or something like that. Then section LL for bikes.
  7. I recently posted a thread on acquiring a roadworthy. One of the issues the mechanic "found" on my bike, was after market bar ends. These bar ends were large, and offered greater vision over stock. However they are not legal roadworthy wise. Apparently this "rule" applies to bikes that have provisions for standard mirrors. These are the ones mounted to the inside of the clipons/handlebars. An example of such a bike would be the vtr250.

Conversely, the Triumph Thruxton is manufactured with bar end type mirrors. Considering this bike is permitted on road it must be classified roadworthy. Hence that would make the above claims void. Perhaps my mechanic was lying. Then again there would be no incentive for him to do so.

It's a bit of a grey area. Bar ends satisfy national ADR requirements but archaic mindsets in state road transport authorities prove troublesome.

If you do choose the bar end method, keep the stock mirrors. Just in case.
  8. what do they do ?
  9. Bar ends? Let you look at the stuff behind you if you're bored of looking at your shoulders.

Best I've used was drop down mirrors, you look under your elbows.
  10. NSW RMA Riders' Handbook says that all motorcycles manufactured after 1983 must have mirrors on both sides; motorcycles manufactured before that year must have a mirror on the right side. Mirrors must not extend more than 150mm beyond the extremity of the bike.

All that said, bar-end mirrors are not about safety, they are about vanity. You may find a Policeman who's having a bad day might decide the same.....
  11. H all,
    Thanks for the great responses. Yes it's purely vanity for the bike (2012 triumph street triple r). I reckon I'll fit a pair and just keep the stock (ugly) plastic mirrors that come with it.
  12. Keep em in the glove box with a spanner, and allen key. Then when you get pulled over you can jump off, remove the bar ends, and fit the stock ones. You may need to distract the officer though. Go nude or something.
  13. I've got the CRG Hindsight LaneSplit bar ends on the FZ and I love them more for functionality than aesthetics... although they do look nice.

Using them I can see a complete picture of what's behind me without bodily obstructions and they even overlap there's so much coverage.

The fold-up feature has indeed come in handy when I've clipped mirrors.
    • Like Like x 2
  14. Refer to ADR 14/01 - Rear Vision Mirrors for LC class vehicles.

All vehicles shall be equipped with 2 rear vision mirrors having the same curvature (including flatness), symmetrically placed relative to the centre of the
    steering control and of such dimensions as to be capable of reflecting to the driver as far as practicable a clear view of the road to the rear of the driver
    and of any following or overtaking vehicle.

Flat mirrors shall have not less than 80 square centimetres of reflective surface.

'Convex Mirrors’ shall have not less than 64.5 square centimetres of reflective surface and an average radius of curvature that is not less than 1,200 mm.

• Like Like x 5
  15. Thanks for this. Is it one-size fits all for these CRG ones? The bike is a triumph street triple.
  16. I've got bar end mirrors on the monster and I find them to be a lot easier to see clearly as they don't vibrate like the original mirrors did which made it difficult to clearly see what was where. I admit I think they look a lot better too, but functionally, they work better. On my bike at least.
  17. Note sure, would have to investigate again.
    You buy the mirror and I had to buy adapters separately for my bike and it was years ago so I can't remember all of the parts.

They aren't the cheapest option but well worth it for the quality, and I've compared them to a cheap chinese made options and the glass shook out of those ones within one ride.

The adapater is a bar-end with the correct diameter on the end that the mirror bolts onto.
  18. Few questions and a story...story first.

This afternoon a police officer followed me for about 800 metres...noticed my L plate fell off so did he..he pulled me over booked me...i may lose my license... but i have written to the SDRO for leniency :)

MAIN QUESTION - Do i have to have mirrors on my motorbike?

Saw a motorbike today without mirrors...mine are really ugly do i legally hv to have them?
  19. Not if you have eyes in the back of your head.
  20. Wouldn't it be better to replace them with more aesthetic ones?