Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Legal Will

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by firefling, Aug 22, 2005.

1. Does anybody know where I can get some info for doing my own legal will? I'm not having premonitions but like to be prepared for the inevitable hopefully 60+ years from now.

2. I know you can get a 'legal will kit' from H&R block and also from some Post Office's, that should contain all the info you need.

I should really get around to filling out my kit soon :oops:

3. If you want everything to go to your nrxt of kin, then a simple statement to that effect will do. See the reference section of your library for a suitable wording and witnessing requirements. Or you can buy one of theose "legal will" forms. Oddly enough, using a "legal Will" form doesn't guarantee that it will be legal, and writing it on the back of an old envelope doesn't make it not legal.

If you want anything more complicated than giving it all to your next of kin, see a lawyer. Most suburban solicitors will do one for not a lot of cash, and most will give you the first consultation free.

see http://www.choice.com.au/viewArticle.aspx?id=104203&catId=100528&tid=100008&p=1 for some free advice.

4. I didn't think that Will would ever be legal. :?:

5. Who gets your bike?

6. I want the new seat, stuff the bike!! :D :D :D :D :D

7. Yeah it's one of those common law things (write it out sign it in front of a JP, to make it a bit formal). It would, of cousre easier to contest.

8. Simply print out the following.

I firefling, being of Sound mind, hereby leave all my worldy possessions to Kaer.

Signed Firefling and witnessed by all of netrider.

9. "Where there's a will, there's a way." (usually to challenge it)

10. Have a look at www.legalkits.com.au. I've used them twice for conveyancing and also probating a will, good detail and explanations, forms and back-up.

11. Ta Mothra, will have a look.

Kaer, in your dreams :LOL: :p

12. Actually I was having a go at Will, a member of netrider.

13. all i want is the chair :D

14. I'll take the SV, sure junking it (all you can do with Suzukis) won't get me much cash but it should mean I can afford a few strips of sand paper to work on my chicken strips.

15. World War I English Seargent: "Men, fire at will!"
    Soldier: "But Sarge, Will's on OUR side!!"

16. It needs to be signed by two witnesses, neither of whom are beneficiaries. And you need someone willing to be executor which can be a demanding role.

If you have kids, give some thought to who you want as their guardian. Also any bequest to a minor that generates income will have that income taxed at the highest rate. The way around this is to set up a testamentary trust.

Finally, the law recognises that pple have rights regardless of whether you recognise them in your will. So you might leave all your worldlies to miffy your cat but your SO has a fair chance of reversing that in court.

17. Nah, no kids, leaving everything including bike to my sis, so nyer matt.

And stewy, YOU WISH!! :p

18. "Where there's a Will, there's usually a Dead Person"

19. Solicitor is your best bet, less chance of a Fupuck occuring, not that you would ever know about it of course.