Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

NSW Legal transport of firearm

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by peterngit, Dec 17, 2015.

1. Hi, guys any one here has a firearm licence that transports it using a motorcycle?

anyone know what exactly is needed for it to be legal when transporting a fire arm on a motorbike? e,g can you wear it like a backpack or does the fire arm have to be somewhat locked to the motorbike frame?

also please comment if you have run into police/rbt while carrying

2. #2 tigamica350, Dec 17, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 17, 2015
    I'll bite.............

Safe Storage - NSW Police Online

The way I read it is that it must be carried in a locked container and bolted to the vehicle with either the bolt removed or a trigger guard fitted. How you could achieve that on a motorcyle I don't know or want to know why, as someone who is in regular contact with weapons I don't know why anyone would want to carry unless it's in the line of work.

We don't want to go down the path of the US where everyone carries, I was reading a post on a US forum the otherday about how one bloke packs his Glock in his backpack when he goes for a casual ride........just can't understand why....
  3. Adventure bike + hunter = guns relevant

Wouldn't be too hard to get hard luggage made up (though it could be awkward, depending on length of weapon, size of bike, etc.). I'd probably just wander into a cop shop and ask them what they'd want to see if they pulled you over -- at the very least it should get a cop to back off and give a warning rather than a fine or arrest or whatever. If you did that, I also doubt a magistrate would see you as reckless yobbo endangering all the kiddies and kittens.
    • Agree Agree x 2
  4. Google Images has some interesting variants on motorcycle mounted guns!
    • Like Like x 1
  5. The way I read it was:

(Taken direct from pdf but Emphasis mine).

However the problem with a motorcycle is that there's no reference to them. Public transport, Airliners, and cars I can find stuff on - but motorcycles have obviously been overlooked.

With the serious consequences of firearm infringements, I'd say don't mess around. Contact the NSW police firearms division directly (in writing) and ask them - and get a reply back from them (in writing). Keep a copy of it on you whilst transporting as evidence. It's not worth taking some random's recommendation on a forum as law and getting pinged on a firearm offense.

I find that a tad short sighted. Not everyone's either a cop or a crook or uses firearms for work. There's plenty of good people around that can use firearms for legitimate enjoyment. Trap shooting, and target shooting are fine hobbies that many well respected Australian's enjoy, as is paint balling.

You may be in a line of work where firearms are used only for shooting people in self defense, but there's plenty of other avenues for them to be used that aren't sinister that people can enjoy. It's lead to some medals in the commonwealth and Olympic games for us. And if riding is your normal mode of transportation - it seems like a legitimate question to me.
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Agree Agree x 2
  6. AJ is on the ball. The bolting requirement is only if you don't have a trigger lock/firing mechanism removal or for carrying firearms commercially.

As there is no clear mention of bikes I wouldn't be taking any risks, get clarification from the firearms registry or appropriate police division in writing.

7. Yep fair enough (wit a name like ajrider you may know more than), but the OP didn't mention anything like that and also noting that gun laws and the subsequent licensing requirements require a knowedge of the storage and safe carriage. He should already have the knoweledge and be part of a club who could answer his questions rather than us keyboard warriors.

To be eligible for this licence you must:

• Be a NSW resident (or about to become a NSW resident);
    • Be 18 years of age or over;
    • Complete a firearms safety training course for longarms or handguns;
    • Confirm that you are able to meet the safe storage requirements for the category of licence concerned; and
    • Be a fit and proper person and be able to be trusted with possession of firearms without presenting a danger to public safety.

So unless oldmate wants to cruise around with a shotty or a SLR type of gun hanging out of the backpack............................................

Category C firearms licence? * Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of no more than 10 rounds. * Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds. * Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of no more than 5 rounds. These firearms are prohibited except for limited purposes. Some firearms, specifically those adapted for military purposes, are excluded under all circumstances from this licence category.

Category D firearms licence? * Self-loading centre-fire rifles. * Self-loading rimfire rifles with a magazine capacity of more than 10 rounds. * Self-loading shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds. * Pump action shotguns with a magazine capacity of more than 5 rounds. * Any firearms to which a Category C licence applies.

Category H: Pistols, such as rimfire pistols and air pistols
  8. Hubby has ridden to the range at Silverdale with the rifle in it's gun bag. It had a trigger lock on it and the ammo was carried separately. He was never pulled over but he did get some strange looks on occasion - some of them from police.
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Just spoke to hubby and he did end up getting a gunboot - was mounted on the bike - see photo

• Like Like x 2
    • Informative Informative x 2
  10. The ultimate commuting accessory :watching:
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  11. <snip>

I think you're been a bit hard on him. I'd be willing to bet a tidy dollar that very few (if any) firearm safety training courses touch on carriage on a motorcycle, and if asked most trainers probably wouldn't answer definitively anyway - because the regulations aren't clear.

Or, he may have got his firearm license years ago before he had a motorcycle or even thought of it or to ask then.

The same argument could be used for policing. Ask a cop about helmet cams - and get different answers from different cops. Surely they should know after doing law as part of their training as well? When the regulations aren't clear or are grey - there's uncertainty - and I think this case fits in to that category.

But who knows - it's a motorcycle forum. Maybe someone here has already been down that road (excuse the pun), and has an official response or interaction with the law already on this issue that they are able to enlighten him with. It's a legitimate question, and I see no need to have a dig at his knowledge on such matters or for asking the question in the first place.

Rather he should be commended for taking the carriage seriously enough to seek further information rather than just assuming.
    • Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. Main thing is to make the gun non conspicuous and incapable of firing if you crash and somebody wanders up and takes it. Bolt under the seat and rifle in a poster tube would be a starting point to discuss with the plod.

13. Yeah probably right about the courses, however it would probably be a better place to ask the legitimate question......

ha ha ha funny I was just about to edit my post and say the same sort of thing about the policing.......

no dramas,
    • Like Like x 1
  14. Thanks guys, this question is for target shooting, i don't own a car and only own a motorbike.

I have being searching and sending out emails to the firearm register and various clubs, some i am still waiting a reply on and some reply isn't really clear. The first comment is the linked article shows the reply from the registry. I was thinking something like Peony's husband but in a shape that is not a firearm. But the way the firearm registry reply using the word 'recommendation' makes me think it won't be valid reason for defense if i get fine,

The punishment for doing this the wrong way is something i don't want to experience so i am trying to gather as much information as i can and asking in a forum that contain mostly riders is one of the methods.
  15. the main criteria is that the firearm is disabled and that the ammunition is carried in a separate container to the firearm - we go target shooting regularly but usually in the car but like anything you can ask 20 different coppers and you will probably get 20 different responses which will only make you more confused - if in real doubt ring the firearms registry and ask them,
    • Agree Agree x 1
  16. I know of one who carries it in the tank bag! Asking for trouble...
    • Agree Agree x 2
  17. Ask the Terminator!
  18. Best to get it in writing so there's no if's or but's if you get pulled over, had grief once when pulled up in a single cab ute as it was deemed that firearms and ammo were not seperated even though guns were behind the seat and ammo in a locked tool box, after an animated discussion I was "let go" when I invited the copper to attend the range I was traveling to and take up the argument with the SSAA State President with whom I was shooting. Theres a lot of grey areas with firearms regulations which are open to interpretation and can change regularly, the onus is on you to keep up with changes - being involved with 2 target shooting clubs executives we are expected to give club members advice when the police don't know themselves.
    • Agree Agree x 3
    • Winner Winner x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  19. Thanks, was wondering how do i get something in writing, would email from fire registry provide that? they usually just re quote the legislation.
  20. May need to contact someone higher up the tree than the plebs, some in Vic registry were "too approachable" and got moved on as they provided solutions to easy problems - I know this from personal experience, see if you can get hold of a supervisor or have you tried contacting your local District Firearms Officer at your local police station, some of them are really good
    • Like Like x 2