Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Legal Street Racing areas?

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' at netrider.net.au started by dan, Aug 25, 2005.

1. I think there is some merit... :D

http://www.bangkokpost.com/News/24Aug2005_news09.php

"Academics, child rights advocates and police threw cold water yesterday on a proposal to allow young people to race motorcycles on a designated city main road late at night.

They agreed it was not the right answer to the problem of illegal street racing.

The proposal was put forward by Social Development and Human Security Minister Watana Muangsook after a meeting on Monday with a group of young motorcyclists representing racers' groups in Bangkok and Samut Sakhon.

The racers asked for a straight road, with a minimum length of one kilometre, to be designated for motorcycle racing every Friday night from 10pm to 1am.

The new Rama V road would be an ideal choice given the light traffic there, they said.

The minister told them to put together all their information and send him a report by Friday.

Amornvich Nakhontap, of Chulalongkorn University's faculty of education, said street racing was illegal. It would not be right for the government to legalise such a practice.

''Not to mention that the racing would disturb residents in the area. Another key question is who would be responsible should fatal accidents occur?'' he said.

He doubted whether the minister really understood the problem.

''Not all kids' ideas are constructive,'' Mr Amornvich said.

''There are youngsters who just love racing in a risky and illegal way, drunk, doing it in a prohibited area and without crash helmets.

''They would lose interest if we provided a racing strip and set conditions.''

The ministry should find other creative activities to draw youngsters away from street racing.

''Our society is now in need of the positive. What Mr Watana is going to do will increase the negative side,'' he said.

Pol Maj-Gen Montri Chamroon, deputy head of the city police, said the state should build a race track and ensure racing was kept strictly off the roads."

2. It's simple, join a club or just turn up at a practice day and hand over some money and off you go.

Winton runs private practice most Fridays (unless a race meeting is on that weekend that has Friday practice), Calder runs open practice sessions on Wednesdays.

Both have insurance coverage for personal injury (not damage to bike or car though) and no racing licence is required.

Other tracks on the other states do the same.

3. but the young will always be young, and many of them will also be stupid, regardless of what other safer/legal (and more expensive I might add) opportunities may exist.

4. And, besides, doing it ILLEGALLY is part of the challenge.

Years ago my M/C club in Canberra closed off a new housing estate and ran road races on the suburban streets. We got upwards of 10000 spectators too, it was amazing. All the top riders rode there and it was such a hoot to be racing around on public streets.

Don't think any jurisdiction would consider something like that now, too many insurance issues, etc.

5. yeah it seems all the fun has been taken out of life :(

6. You've got to love the logic here...
    It's illegal so because it's illegal you can't change the law to make it legal!

This guy sounds more like a politician. There might well be good reasons for not making it legal. The fact that it's currently not legal is not a logical reason...

7. One thing has been proven on many occasions with this sort of stuff; if you legalise it, people still go somewhere else and do it illegally. The illegality is a big part of the fun. vide skateboarding, etc.
    It's the same part of the brain that kicks in when we watch movies with dozens of cars being destroyed in chases in normal streets; the fun is in the fact that they are doing what is unsafe and not acceptable; how many rice-boy racers pay to go to Calder or Eastern Creek to watch real raciing? C'mon, you know that answer to that!!!

8. He must have gone to school with most of the politicians in our country.

9. Street racing is, by its nature, a rebellious and defiant pastime. Make it legal and the boys will find something else to do instead......HEY.....maybe there's the answer....

10. The man is an acadamic, so he doesn't have to make sense. He's probably never held down a paying job, and if his ideas are tried and don't work, it is the fault to the implementor, not the idea! The joys of spending your life sponging off the public purse and never being accountable for your statements or your actions........

11. how many ricer boys pay to watch their mates race? For most folk, I don't agree that the cheeky thrills of something being illegal is why people do things. I have seen skate parks built for teenageers, and they love them even though it's legal to use them. They do go and look for other challenges, but not because it's illegal, because it's fun!

The problem is that making something legal usually comes with a whole stack or 'if's' and 'but's' to regulate it. They usually take the fun out of it, and people flout them.

12. I did the course the ACT cops ran years ago. Same thing - they closed off a new estate out at Belconnen and we did it there. It was based on the premise that (I quote)

"We know youse lot are going to go too fast. At least this way youse mightn't kill yourself when you do".

How often have you heard a cop say "I want you to go down there, take that corner as hard as you can - and see how quickly you can get around this block".

Great couple of days :LOL: