Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Legal Lowering

Discussion in 'Cruisers' at netrider.net.au started by tonner, Jul 11, 2011.

1. Anyone know how low you can legally lower a bike? Cant find squat on the net but Im guessing there is some sort of ruling.

2. Cruisers? You already have a ground clearance problem. Scooping the seat out might be your best option.

3. http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/registration/downloads/vsi/vsi28.pdf

This notes if you modify your frame you need an Engineering certificate. Doesn't stop you from doing it, you are just taking a risk in the event of an accident in terms of insurance and guilt. TBH I thought you would have known that before making the mod.

4. Just pull the springs out and cut them with an angle grinder like the lebbos do with cars. You obviously have no regard for how it handles so what's it matter.

I had my gf's cbr600rr lowered 35mm and setup with correct spring rates and valving for her weight. Cost a fortune but atleast it was done right but it's still sacrificing ground clearance, the bike could be bottomed out so I'm sure it's technically illegal.

5. This bloke's already drilled his frame and changed the top mounting point despite me pointing out it didn't look right and explaining why. Now he's worried.

6. not on the back, all done by lowering links

0000-Yana-Shiki-Lowering-Links.

7. the most helpful thing you could do for yourself is mention the make, model, and year of the bike you want to lower.

also it would be a good idea to mention why you want to lower the bike.
    is it due to rider height.
    is it for aesthetic reasons.
    do you have some other reason.

lowering links are the most common method of lowering.
    but there are others.
    it really depends on your bike,
    the reason, and what you are willing to sacrifice.

8. hope your custom frame mods are engineered, mate.

9. easiest, best and cheapest would be to shave the seat cushion, after that it gets more expensive and could sacrifice handling. Take your seats to an automotive upholsterer and see what they could do.

10. Guess If I want them engineered I just look after that part myself....pretty quick to jump to conclusions.

11. I did and an engineering certificate is not the problem.

12.  Top
  13. No need to buddy havent altered anything yet, like I said earlier.....I can look after that bit myself.
    Seems most are pretty quick to jump to conclusions.

14. a bit more than a one-line question would be nice. :)

if you are not willing to put in any effort asking the question,
    then please don't expect others to have the exact answer you are looking for. ;)

the most helpful thing you could do for yourself is mention;
    the make, model, and year of the bike you want to lower.

also it would be a good idea to mention why you want to lower the bike;
    - is it for aesthetic reasons?
    - is it due to rider height?
    - do you have some other reason?

lowering links are the most common method of lowering.
    but there are other methods.
    it really depends on your bike,
    what you actually want lower (eg; the seat height),
    and what you are willing to sacrifice!

hell, i put more effort into this reply than you did asking the question,
    and i don't even want/need to lower any of my bikes.
    :p

15. so if you havent altered anything yet, how did you lower it? bricks in your panniers??

16. didnt alter the tyre pressure when it had a slow leak i guess, now its pimped out and sitting on its rims 8-[8-[..................

17. couple of questions .. has it added value in looks yep I would say it has

Has it added resale value, I suspect not as I doubt the bike will pass a RWC,

Has it effected your insurance, you may find that in the event an accident the Insurance company may claim the bike is unsafely modified and your policy will mean naff all,

18. OK So I'm now officially confused. You said in your other thread you had done the mod.

Anyway, my link was for NSW. QLD will be similar. Not a cheap exercise however. In NSW it can't be just any Engineer, it has to be one registered with the RTA and they charge a premium for the service.

19. Lowering links are a step up from cutting the spring but they are still ghetto. They make it handle like ass, they change the geometry and increase the stiffness to a ridiculous level. Also pushing the front forks through the triple to lower it stuffs up the handling beyond belief. Been there tried it.

20. Well thats sort of what Im trying to find out, as far as insurance is concerned as long as it is not lowered beyond the legal allowable limit they are ok with it and I assume if it is not illegal it will still pass a rwc