Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Legal Bike Size for NSW?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by I-Love-My-Bike, Feb 16, 2010.

1. Hi everyone,

I'm thinking of getting my bike licence and I was wondering if the legal bike size for beginners is still 250 or can we go higher? some of my friends say its gone up to 400 but is this a lie?

Thanks

Ed

2. You can ride any bike on that list. The parameters are under 660cc and under 150kw/tonne. All the bikes on that list are legal to ride. Jump on bike sale websites and check them out.

3. man u really know nothing about bikes

4. Who, me? Or OP?

5. I'd say OP, because you are correct.

6. All I know about bikes is they were invented by Karl Bike.

7. Well, you learn something new every day!

8. Yeah his sister was apparently a prominent Belgium socialite by the name of Town Bike.

9. And that's the game, set and match. Close the thread!

10. Actually the Aprilla SV550 is more than 150kw/ton and is on the lams list

118kg Dry with 52kw = about 44kw per 100kg

so per 1000 kg it is more akin to 440kw

but that may not be the formula used by RTA NSW for LAMS

But Aprilias are only good for riding back and forth from the dealership for warranty repairs

11. The RTA knew that, which is why they let that one slip.

12. we cant ride the SV's in qld

13. So you don't want to hear about her great, great granddaughter, Office Bike?

Apparently she works somewhere around here. I've been trying to find her,but I haven't had any luck.

14. Indeed it isn't. As I understand it there is a 90kg allowance for rider. Give a 125kg allowance for the fueled SXV550 and you have a 215kg rider/bike combo.

This equates to circa 240kW/ton. Probably best not to continue saying this though, as this is a transparent media to be discussing things in... wink wink. My guess is a boffin pressed a '1' instead of the '2' and thus we get a legal bike at 140kW/ton.

Not in my experience. Of course, if its a joke (or you're useless with a toolkit) then I definitely understand.

- boingk

15. When Victoria introduced LAMS, after people started examining the list for NSW, it was pretty obvious that there were a lot of anomalies there. In fact it was those anomalies that may have delayed the implementation in Victoria because they weren't prepared to accept the flaws in the NSW list. I believe that some of them were caused by the fact that the declared power by the manufacturer was wrong at the time of import.

Certainly for Victoria I also believe that there are some bikes within the power to weight ratio that the manufacturer requested be removed because they felt the nature of the bikes power delivery made them totally unsuitable for learners. (Can't remember which ones off hand)

16. IM pretty sure some of the 2 strokes are on that list of unsuitable power delivery.