Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Left Turns Better Than Right Turns???

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by rider chris, Aug 3, 2008.

1. Hi guys, once again another leaning topic, but this time its a little bit more of a "why" topic. :?

I know that i previously posted about "coming back from leaning" and refered to my chicken strips. from looking at these, i have noticed that i have a few mm on the left, and alot more on the right. based on the fast runs i have done on the yarra blvd up and back, and the fact that i shift my weight of to the side, i have a few questions...

1. is it "common" for people to perform better on their left turns? :? and what are the reasons for this (ie, throttle control, more easier to turn of to a side street left, etc)

2. how can i practice my right turns? :p i want to be able to lean the bike confidently (without turning the bars in the direction of travel), whether i have shifted off the bike or not. i want to find a flat decent size round about, but around my area (Tarneit/Hoppers Xing/Werribee) i cant seem to find any that are round and not off camber. i have tried an empty car park, but sometimes there are things on the ground, and shopping center carparks are sometimes that smooth surface rather than tarmac. any suggestions? :)

3. the less important of the topic, when i shift my weight to the right, my arm just feels like it is awkward, jammed, in the way. is this due to me trying to control the throttle and not moving the arm too, or is it again one of those "left is easier than right thing?? :?

i know that shifting my weight is not the best thing to do for the road, but i am asking more for technique and suggestions, so any advice or thoughts would be great! :grin:
  2. right corners are heading into traffic, I still back off mid-corner (not so good) when I see someone coming the other way, no reason for it bar that there is a car coming the other way in your field of vision.
  3. Dunno why, but I also find the same thing, whether on the bike, or in the car, I find left turns easier than right turns.
  4. I also have this problem, my left hand turns are perfect but i also back off mid corner on my right hand turns when i see an on coming vehicles. It's like i stiffen up anticipating any on coming vehicles to distract me. I know that this is a bad habbit and should probably learn to try and relax more but it's hard knowing that any vehicles can just pop out anytime. This only happens when i'm out riding in the twistys though and never when i'm suburbia, may be because i'm still getting used to know the road i don't know. So can anyone also give me some advice that'll be great.
  5. Practice practice practice, answer to all of your questions.

I am still faster on left than right and probably always will be, but still confident to give it a fistful for either :)
  6. I'm exactly the same - my left corners are far better than my right.

When I first started riding on the road and noticed this phenomon I wondered if it may have something to do with the fact that you're also controlling the throttle with your right hand? I.e You're controlling the throttle with your right wrist as well as pushing the bike to the right, therefore you you have more to think about, rather than just pushing on the handlebars when going left?????

I also find myself subconsciously stiffening up and standing the bike up a bit when having traffic coming the other way when going to the right - I just wish I could have Superman's X-Ray vision to see straight through them and maintain my line of sight and focus on the exit!

Either way, I'm with Phizog on this one - practice makes perfect, although it's far better to be slower and more awkward on a right hand corner and make it through then to risk drifting over to the right side of the road into the path of that oncoming traffic!

It may help to find a stretch of twisties with mostly right hand turns and then ride this stretch of road repeatedly until the prospect of oncoming traffic doesn't phase you.

"Four wheels move the body, two wheels move the soul...."
  7. I experienced this too.

Solution that works for me is actually to concentrate on tucking in my right hip and focus on the exit. I only see the oncoming traffic through the corner of my eye.

Worst is roundabouts, I used to look directly at the oncoming driver and slow down. Very bad move as it gave the driver the impression that I was letting them in.

Still like everyone above I think its all about practice and finding what works for you.
  8. Weasal's got it, the extra pressure you are applying to your throttle hand causes you to stiffen your grip, you should not have a death grip on the throttle as you will agree. Really the only way to overcome this is to pratice and be aware of the grip pressure. I found a quiet roundabout out my way and practiced on that every weekend for a couple of months. Still better turning left but only marginally so.

So with all things in life first comes awareness, then a period of trying to change and then it clicks.

I had a mate who rode very occasionaly [weekend HD wild hog type] and he would go around the block rather than turn right! Combined his inexperience and the desire of a HD to only want to go straight ahead! :LOL:
  9. Ummmmm, it's because you are right handed, I'm left handed and
    am much more settled in right turns.

Think of this......

Emergency situation and you need to swerve, which way do you go??

Unfortunatley for me I swerve right!!!!

I love roundabouts way more than left turns.

Just an opinion.
  10. Most people favour one side or the other. For me I have less strip on the right. As far as I can tell I dont get quite as far off the seat on right handers so the bike leans more for the same turn. On left handers I shift my weight better so the bike leans less (there's not much difference)

I think its to do with throttle control and arm angle.
    Doesnt overly bother me.
  11. because we ride on the left, left hand turns are tighter than right ones so you expect to be leaning more on the left ones at the same speed. you might notice this running up and back the same road.
  12. I agree with the practice thing as mentioned before.........however i also find im a tad quicker on left corners than right ones also. I think some of its phsycological and some of its physical...............just my theory:)

first of all on a right hand corner your leaning 'into' the oncoming traffic so being a learner or someone with lack of experience you might find this freaks u out and u tense up(i know i do a little bit..........especially with oncoming big trucks that hav a tendency to run wide) But basically if you enter the corner wide and 'buffer' through the middle.......this enhances your vision through the corner and gives you maximum space and time to react to wateva is on the other side

Also theres the physical aspect..........as said before you are pushing a bit more on the right handle bar which can tense up your throttle use......this is fixed with practice basically........remembering your arms should be lose......you dont need that much pressure on the bars to turn the bike in(could also be related to left/right hand people maybe?)

Also theres the camber of the road............on a lefty your leaning against the camber which can feel more stable........on a righty your leaning with the camber which can feel less stable............but this depends on the road and im guessing itd hav to be a pretty huge camber to have a significant effect?

But yeah thats my theories.........u can tell its somethin ive thought about a fair bit :p

But most importantly start off slow n work your way up........ive still gotta long way to go
  13. thanks guys... all good points. i was thinking about it more over the last day and i think its probably because most of the time i turn right, im doing it from a standing start (crossing traffic). turning into oncoming traffic doesnt bother me, but its just i feel so unco when i do turn right :LOL:

i went to an empty carpark and did countless small quick round circles (that many that i got dizzy a few times :LOL: ) and i was only a little bit faster on the left, but not by much. maybe it is a right handed thing, but i thought that after riding for a while you would naturally adapt, but after most of you guys have said, its stuck with you for life!!! :LOL: :LOL: :LOL:
  14. It's important to be able corner well on both sides, but generally speaking all riders have a side that they either feel more comfortable with, or have a preference for.
    Practice reduces the difference between the two. And it is something that you have make a point of overcoming as much as possible.

In getting set up for a turn, arm position is just as important as anything else...if you find that your arm is getting jammed up bewtween you and the bike then point your elbow down and out in the direction of the turn to free your arm up. This will require you to cock your wrist differently.
    This a by prodict of your body position, so make sure you get THAT right first, then adjust your arm to suit.
    I'd have to actually see you riding to give you antything more specific though Chris.

Woops!...Hang on...shifting your weight IS the best thing to do for ANY riding...You've got that wrong mate. :)
    Shifting your weight is very important...One of the main pre-requisites of developing a good technique...
    It's important to judge the amount of weight shift appropriate to the corner, and that takes practice...only practice will give you the judgement needed. True...there are times where weight shifting is'nt necessary, but If someone says "don't" shift your body weight, ignore them!!...

You other blokes getting distracted by cars during RH cornering, need to get passed it...Get focused....that car, while important to consider, should not be causing you to stiffen up or anything else...you need to practice it, to the point where that car is just one more thing to take into account - not a target of fixation, taking up too much of your $10.

15. you might be confusing shifting weight with hanging off. you should shift your weight. this makes sure your centre of gravity is on the inside. but it can be subtle and you don't need to hang off to shift weight.
  16. Looks like i'll be practising my right turn alot then, like i said only happens out in the twistys where there's alot of blind corners. Your right silentbob, well with me anyways i will try your approach where you enter the corner wide and buffer through the middle. Like you said this should increase my vision through the corner and will see the on coming traffic alot sooner instead of popping out and freaking me out. :)
  18. It’s a know fact that right turns (Clockwise)are easier in the southern hemisphere and left turns (Anti-clockwise)are easier in the northern hemisphere due to Coriolis effect :beer:
  19. yes i discovered this fault in my rinding the hard way, i was aproaching a right corner i was going quick, but since i have ridden through again definately not to quick for the corner, and for some reason went for the brakes instead of just cornering, had i have just cornered i would have been fine but instead hit gravel and went down, i was fine and so was the bike.

after that i tried to figure out what it was and found out it was turning right itself, my left turning was excellent but right lacked maybe because of some of the reasons above (plus inexperience) so i just started working on it at round a bouts and around my area there are some good right handers and now i can comfortably get down on the right and even get my boot dragging sometimes.

like they said practice practice practice
  20. yeah i know what you mean. what i meant was actually fully shifting my weight for every corner. when im riding around i do shift my weight, but not as much as i would when im riding twisties... i hope this makes it more clear. honestly, i just cant stand going around ANY corner by just pure counter steering in the neutral position... its just weird :?

anyway, i suppose the only thing i can do at the moment is do lots and lots of circles, and wait until my riding course at the end of the month :grin: :grin: :grin: