Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Left Over part from Brake Pad Replacement

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by ol9fingers, Jun 15, 2011.

1. G'day,

I just thought i'd ask for a bit of help.

I've taken off the caliper on the Honda CD250U, pulled out the pins and the spring in the photo fell out.

Any suggestions as to how it goes back into the caliper?

On a side note, what's the best way to get this dent out of my tank?

Take it to a panel beaters?

Thanks in advance,

Attached Files:

2. wash your hands jeffry
  3. if the CD is like the CBR that clip sits on the end of the caliper to hold the pads in place
    (providing yours is like mine) one end of the pads has a pin through them, this clip goes on the other end.

Attached Files:

4. Sits inside the caliper and the pad goes on it (i think). Putting it in one way will clip it on and the other way will fall straight back out if you rotate the caliper
  5. They have multiple uses and you would not want to use the bike without them. The main 2 are:
    1. They guide the pad so its edges will not twist and snag
    2. They have a curve to give a small amount of lateral tension to the pad which can help with vibration and squealing.
  6. Can't help with the brake part as I have, thankfully, not had to deal with a Honda caliper for 16 years and my subconcious has put a layer of protective amnesia over the experience :wink:.

The dent, however, looks as if it might respond well to the attentions of a decent sink plunger.
  7. Thanks theforgotten for the info, it looks pretty much the same.

Thanks chipa, I knew it was important, i just couldn't work out how it went into the caliper.

Thanks PatB, I'll get a plunger and see what happens.

Thanks Aza for the info also.