Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Left or right foot down?

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by TheSav, May 30, 2008.

1. When you pull up do you put your left or right foot down?
    I split it 50/50 as I'm obsessive compulsive.

Note: sorry but couldn't help myself. There just seems to be so many ridiculous questions lately.
  2. Left - so the right foot can stay covering the brake
  3. Right glove. :p

Left foot.
  4. Trouble is, this one, and the 'which glove?' one, has been asked a hundred times before.....
  5. Sav, you must be bored.I'm going with left foot down first, most of the time.That way can still have right foot on the rear brake with clutch in scanning mirrors for a quick get the fcuk out of there, when some cager gets to close to my ass or forgets to pull up.

PS got the gixer back yet?
  6. I put the kick-stand down, put my feet up on the pegs, relax and look cool. Sometimes I fold my arms too. Left arm first.
  7. I balance the bike like those leet track cyclists do when they wait at the lights :cool:
  8. lol I try and do that when I am coming up to traffic where the light has just turned green, I try and keep my feet up lol, some times I manage it too
  9. I wanna get a trials bike, get really good with it, and go up and down over stationary cars waiting at the lights.
    Tell me it wouldn't be fun! :cool:

Regards, Andrew.
  10. just take the car to work
  11. Not bored daz, just couldn't think of a dumber question. Actually, maybe I am bored. :(

Yeah mate. Picked up the Gixxer yesterday. :grin: Gonna spend part of this weekend scrubbing in the new tyres to get a couple of heat cycles through them.Got Monday off too which will help. Stay tuned for a review on the BT016's i got fitted.
  12. Once I leave my driveway I don't go slower then 120!

Left foot down, then right foot, left foot up, in to n.
  13. Cool,I also have monday off. PM me if ya wanna ride buddy over the weekend I'm keen.
  14. Yep good call.....not sure the wife would be to impressed.Can I buy a trials bike sweetheart. Come in handy at red lights. :cool:
  15. In the eternal struggle for dominance in my mind, this issue creates a problem of fairness.
    So for me its both feet at the same time, so neither side feels 'left out' (or is it 'right out'?).

This does leave me with a walking problem when equal representation requires both feet to move at the same time! This quandry is normally preceded by an argument between my left hand and right hand over the "glass lifting" demarcation dispute - a particularly difficult situation as my mouth does not seem to want to play favourites.

Personal democracy has its problems, I am thinking of adopting a more 'benevolent despotic' regime, then I can allocate duties to the appropriate appendage - for instance 'glass lifting' to the right hand, and 'bike balancing to the left foot. But the idea of the possibility of a civil war between my left side and my right side has my anus quivering undecided in the middle!

Yes, I too am bored at the moment. :roll:
  16. Far out...........You should write a book about fcuk all. I'll buy it. :LOL:
  17. the opposite side to the oldfella or else we topple over
  18. I know you're bored TheSav, but here's a genuine answer :grin:

Left foot if I'm coming downhill to the lights. Right foot if I'm coming to a slow stop on level ground. Both feet if I'm unsteady :cool:

Oh and it's left glove first for me!
  19. Genuine answer: right foot for me, 99.99% of the time.

Why? Because I almost always select neutral when coming to the stop. I ride in the city and during my average trip I probably spend as much time standing still as I do actually moving forward. No way am I going to hold the clutch all this time - and it can't be good for the clutch, either!

But what about that 'be ready to escape' argument? Well, I keep an eye on my mirrors. My belief is that if something happens behind me that would require my escaping, I will notice it and since my foot is right there, I'll put the bike in gear and move in time. On the other hand, if you don't keep track of what goes on behind you, staying in gear will do you little good in fact it will make things worse because if you get bumped from behind there's a good chance you'll dump the clutch, making everything even worse.

And what about using the rear brake? I don't use the rear brake. I'm perfectly capable of using front brake and the throttle at the same time, 99.99% of the time. Only extremely steep hill starts call for rear brake application, and that's that 0.01%.