Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Left hander uphill Bends

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by chickibabe, Oct 11, 2007.

1. Hi guy's,

just a general question about why am I struggling so much with this. As I can not work it out

I've been doing the galston gorge for a while now, but I seem to be having alot of problems with the Left hand bends going uphill, right hand bends can do fine. Yes, I look through the corner, but still seem to be running wide

Can anyone explain this to me or any solution to improve.

I know the glaston gorge is not one to stuff up on, I've just been lucky that there has been no cars coming the other way :(

Cheers Lou
  2. it's obvious from your form on(in) the spencer boat that you are leaning toooooooooooo far left :LOL: :LOL:
  3. Weird I find right hand downhill turns to be the worst for me!
  4. I found I used to run wide on a bend and like you was lucky there were no other cars coming the opposite direction - I think it was because I was going a bit too fast and not leaning. Maybe it's the same for you?
  5. Lou, do you have any trouble on the hairpin going out of wisemans?

Maybe one thing you can try is just to go slow, don't bother really with leaning and just turn the handlebars in the direction you want to go (i.e. not counter steering).

Either that or try leaning right instead of left.

Though this is just me trying to think what the hell i do without having done it in a while :?
  6. Don't listen to anything Swiss says :!: :!: :evil: He'll get you killed. I'm serious. :evil:

Take the wide line (run close to the centre line, but watch for oncoming traffic and move away a bit if there is any), go deep in to the corner (don't turn too early, as your will apex early, and then run wide), look into the corner properly and commit to going around it.

I don't have time for a full write up, but there are many threads here that discuss the issues. Search for "The Pace", as it has some good ideas in it.

Oh, and find a Mentor near your location who can ride with you, and tell you exactly what you are doing wrong.
  7. hahaha!!!! I'm still laughing from that. What a great day it was :LOL: :LOL: Thanks Jeff :p

I forgot to add for those that dont know the gorge, these bends are slow speed hairpins!! I'm fine at speed with bends on the open road :grin:

I do have a mentor, it is Mr Magoo (hubby), I've tried following his lines, but I lose all, ummmm focus as I'm in the bend, it is like I get unstable, if that makes sense. :oops: So maybe I should get him to follow me, as I always follow him up through there.

RoderickGI: thanks for that, I have The Pace, I think I need to go back over it :oops:.

Cheers Lou
  8. holding on too tight with your right hand to keep the power on?
  9. Then you need to take your eyes off Mr Magoo's butt and watch the road. :shock:

I ride the St Andrews to King Lake road often here in Melbourne. While it doesn't have many full on hairpins, it has plenty of very slow corners, down to 15Km/h. I used to be a bit shaky on right hand downhill corners, but found what gives me stability is moving my butt off the seat a bit more, holding the bike upright, and looking harder into the corner.

I treat tight uphill left handers a bit like emergency counter steering, dipping the bike down and straight back up, under acceleration. On a left hand sweeping hairpin, the butt off, slower into the corner, and more acceleration through it gives me a smoother line.

Have fun improving your skills, safely. Having Hubby follow you and report what you are doing is probably a good idea.
  10. Is it because they're blind bends? ie: cliff, etc, to the left of the road, blocking your view through the corner.
  11. The road through the cutting at Bulla is GREAT one way and not so great the other isn't it...
  12. I'm not sure if its right for a learner to give advice, but here goes....
    This is what works for me anyway.
    For the really slow hairpins I lean my bike to the left and I sit on the righthand side of the seat to maintain balance.
    The main key to keeping balance (and confidence) is to keep the torque going. You can relax it a bit, but the more you have, the less work in balancing you need to do.
    As a few others have mentioned, start out wide and aim to finish a foot from the side of the road. The better your line is, the easier it is.
    Oh yea, and dont forget to slow down.
  13. mmm...uphill left handers should be easier...so there is something going on, Lou.

First thing to do is slow down, and concentrate more on your technique.
    As others have said...make sure your right arm is'nt preventing you from pushing on the left clip-on properly. (gripping too hard)

One thing that will make you run wide is if you are apexing too early for the corner. This will point you straight at the wrong side of the road when you exit.

If your vision is impaired through that turn, then stare through the line and keep your eyes there until the corner opens up...this will help to keep you in closer to the bank. (Sometimes it's easy to focus on something that comes into view prior to passing the apex, and this will tend to run you wide.)
  14. That is a slow riding technique, only good below 20Kph, in car parks and traffic.
    Boys, you both need to get along to a cornering course. Leaning right on a left hand corner means that the bike has to lean more than necessary and is pushed down beneath you. This makes it harder to maintain your line through the corner, and means that you have much less tyre left for any adjustments to your line, if they are required.

Sure, you can get away with it when your speed is well below the capabilities of the bike for the corner, and it scrubs off those chicken strips nicely. However, when you do actually go into a corner faster than you expect, or the corner tightens up, this will see you doing a lowside off the bike. It is a very bad habit to get into, and will see you sliding down the road once your confidence, and hence your speed, gets up a bit.

You may also start to scrape bits of metal on the ground, which can see you off the bike.

You can use the technique when learning about counter steering, as it allows you to see what the bike does with a bike push on the bars, but that should only be done well below your safe speed limits.

It also means, Rockjob, that if you do find some gravel, as the bike is leaning more than it should be, any use of brakes could see you hitting another rock wall. Lean into the corner, keep the bike more upright, and you can handle more gravel, dirt, bark, sticks, potholes, bumps, etc.

Also Lou, hang on more with your knees, even if it is just your outside knee, as that will allow you to loosen up your arms easier, and try to get your inside elbow down as you look into the corner.
  15. My tips were for the tight hairpins, rated at 15 or so.
    In the bigger ones ie rated 25+ I do lean into the corner.
    But yes, a cornering school would be good, I always hear that they are never a waste and everyone learns something .
    Who said anything about me hitting a rock wall before? :?
  16. My apologies. I didn't research what you actually meant by:
    in your sig. Did you just fall off then?

I would still take a corner rated at 15Kph at 20 to 30Kph, which means I would be counter steering and leaning into the corner, unless the corner was covered in gravel, and I needed to tootle around using slow speed manoeuvring techniques, in which case it is correct to keep your body upright while leaning the bike into the corner, if necessary.
  17. I do the Gorge regularly and had the exact issue you had to start with (almost under a car or two I was going THAT wide !!!)

For the unknowing, they are the tightest, steepest corners you will ever turn- and I do mean steep & tight!

It may be uncool, but I conquered it by clutch slipping through the corners to get more control on the speed, then got better & better & now can do them properly. I still am wary about them....

As with anything it took practice
    - I went up and down them for an hour or more in one day just to get it right
  18. What Rod explains here is exactly correct...
    If you develope this habit and carry it with you as you gain experience and get more speed, it will defintely bring you undone...and it will be very hard to fix later on.
    Keep the counter-lean for carparks and slow speed manouvering...not cornering (fast or slow), fellahs.
    (it is a common mistake made by newer riders)
  19. Roderick, people don't appreciate being told their advice is going to kill someone, no matter how bad it may be :evil: I'm just giving advice on things you can try, not what is set in stone. Remeber, what works for one person might not for another and vice versa. Though your 2nd last post was alright since you decided to actually explain your objections.

Some of the hairpins in the gorge are signposted at 5km/h, so slow speed manouvering does come into play here (especially for those that can't take them very fast).

After going for a few runs up and down the gorge today i realised that the left hand uphill ones aren't suited at all for leaning the otherway to the bike. I found that the best way FOR ME, was to go quite slow and turn the bike like you would in any slow speed situation. Maybe even pull in the clutch a tad to go slower. The good thing about this way is that it keeps you well away from the center line and oncomming traffic (something which is well advised in the gorge). Now as i said this is just a technique that works well for me and can just be tried to see how other people handle it.

I know Lou can ride, so if she is having trouble with these things, then it wouldn't hurt to at least experiment a little, as long as it's controlled (i.e. no cars coming the other way)

p.s. i have done a cornering course before which is why i suggested it, because the corners really are quie slow ones (though i didn't like it when i tried because of the inclination)
  20. sorry swiss i am with rod...what you suggested is a dangerous practice to get into