Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by BlueVTR, May 4, 2010.

1. Has anyone replaced their standard 21w bulbs in their indicators, with LEDs?
    Wouldn't mind doing it on the VTR, if it's worth it ($$$!!), and where
    can they be sourced from?

ps: did a "search" on led, nothing came back...
  2. not a straight swap but you can buy led indicators. they require a different flasher or resistors. some come with resisstors some dont.

I can sell you a set of 4 for $350 with everything included. they save weight and everyone knows LED's use less power which means you will have more power left over for the engine.

on a 250 you might see a 10-20% power increase, its well worth it
  3. What a load of Bollocks.
    It uses electrical power, and that in no way effects engine power.
    The alternator still spins weather the battery is full or empty.
  4. sigh](*,)

let me have fun with the n00bs :angel:

if they wanted real answers they wold google this sh1t
  5. I’m sorry but if you have a sales pitch there then a statement like that has to be taken at face value.
  6. Well I got a smirk out of it ;)

Sort of reminded me of the guys who wanted to buy new powerbands for 80cc MX'ers back in the day...
  7. i think it was over FL's head ;)

btw I also sell powerbands for derestricting lams bikes. sick of your tame powerband? these will give you the full de-restricted power and garunteed to hold its elasticity for 50,000kms

i can also custom grind sown peoples torque curves nice and flat if anyone is interested
  8. Hmm you think that do you???
    Good luck with that.
  9. I bought a set of LED globes for my ZZR1100 swap straight in for the blinkers and were super bright, unfortunatly they don't draw enough current to make the flasher relay work right and just stay on and don't flash :( I got em off ebay

I also bought a set of LED brakelight bulbs and they work okay but are not as bright as the normal globes. So all up a bit of a waste of $$$ good thing they were cheap LOL
  10. An alternator does take horsepower to run it. A typical 250cc uses about 0.4hp to run the alternator at full electrical load. You are rarely at full electrical load however.

Re the OP http://www.ledshoponline.com/ has various direct replacement automotive type LEDs some may suit. LEDs is a technology that is improving very quickly at the moment.
  11. The alternators current output only fluctuates with RPM. The electrical load has ABSOLUTELY NOTHING TO DO WITH YOUR ENGINE POWER. That 0.4hp (not sure if that's correct but lets run with it) is a constant number. It doesn't go up or down depending on how much power the bike is using. Anyone that knows anything about electro-magnetic induction and how electric motors and alternators work should understand why.

So- the only effect you are likely to see from indicators that use less energy on a small bike is that your headlight or dash lights won't dim in time with your indicators when you're at idle.
  12. Sorry Legion you are wrong, you don't get something for nothing, if you are pulling electrical load out of one side of an alternator that is reflected in the mechanical power you have to put in to turning the alternator. You need mechanical power to turn the alternator, mechanical power comes from the engine. That mechanical power is then not available to push you forward.

The point about alternators current output fluctuating with RPM is partially correct, this is why you have a regulator. The regulator will try to maintain the voltage and therefore appropriate charge current at the widest range of RPM it can. If the battery is flat and you have high electrical load that is reflected back in mechanical load to the shaft driving the alternator as higher mechanical load, if the battery is well charged and the electrical load is low that is reflected back as a lighter mechanical load.

The 0.4 Hp is calculated from the maximum figures for a CBR250RR as a representative bike.

Electrical Supply = 14.4 Volts x 18.5 amps = 0.2664 Kilowatt
    Mechanical Load = 0.2664 Electrical Load / (0.9 Efficiency x 0.735 DIN Hp conversion ) = 0.402 Hp (DIN)

Considering a CBR250RR is about 45 Hp this represents about 0.89% of the available mechanical Hp. A tiny amount but nevertheless a measurable one. :)
  13. Oh boy... what have I done...
    Sorry, I didn't mean to start an argument here!

Thanks TASGUY for your post. It seems that it's not a such a good idea after all.
    And $350 for a new set of indicators... sorry can't justify to spend this sort of $$$...

BTW, I have the 1000 version of the VTR, not the 250. So I don't think power is an issue.
    I bought the bike in 2004 and replaced the OEM battery about 2 months ago.
    Not bad, considering I do mainly short trips to & from work everyday, + the (too rare) trips to the Spur...

Thanks all for your replies. I am not technically minded, but it still interesting to read!
    The discussion is surprising though, considering that this stuff has been around for some time.
    Can't help thinking that the "experts" would have reached a concensus on that subject by now!!! :-s

A quick plug for Metro Honda in Ringwood: they're having their "Pizza ride" on the 16th May.
    Highly recommended: great company, great ride, and plenty of tricked Ducati to droll on...
  14. i was pulling your chain.

the first line of my post is right though.

dontjust get globes. do the whole thing.

you should get 4 for 80-100
  15. Not an argument BlueVTR a friendly discussion ;) Wait until you see a real knock down drag out Netrider argument, people go diving for fall out shelters. :rofl:

Sorry we strayed somewhat from your original post. :) Its your fault Slick :cheeky:

The real point is that electrical load is a small part of bike load and it will make little difference if you use LEDs or not. The reason to use LEDs is for the style and supposed longevity.
  16. Don't worry slick. I got it.
  17. Sorry to say cjvfr, but legion is not at all wrong.
    It takes the same amount of force to turn the alternator wether the wires are plugged in or not at the other end. And wether it is plugged into a battery or light or nothing at all.
  18. You can buy replacement globes with LED's instead of a filiment but they only throw light forwards and not sideways and backwards meaning they don't use the reflectors behind the globe to make sure you can see the light being emitted from all the required angles.
  19. No I am sorry you are wrong. Electrical load is reflected back to mechanical load. This is consistent with the law of energy conservation, your premise is not. If it was not the case then we would have Perpetual Motion because in effect you are saying that you can pull 20 watts out of a generator or 5000 watts out of a generator and the mechanical force required is exactly the same. You must see the fundamental flaw in that statement.

You can easily test this by getting an old (operational) alternator from a car, power the field (rotor) windings so it magnetizes, spin the shaft, it spins freely.

Short the Stator winding together to represent maximum load, spin the shaft, you need to provide much more "Mechanical" force to make it turn over now.

There is magnetic coupling between the spinning part of the alternator (Rotor) and the static part of the alternator (Stator) this magnetic coupling reflects electrical load back to mechanical load as per my original statement.
  20. Ya reckon…

Spinning the rotor inside the alternator has the same resistance and creates the same flow of electrons wether it has somewhere to go or not.
    So not this would not create a theory for perpetual motion, it creates a case where putting work in doesn’t necessarily get value out.
    The magnets still get resistance and have to be pulled past the wire coils, it really doesn’t make a diference.
    Believe what you want because either way, they work being put in is four fifths of f#$k all compared to the power produced by the engine.