Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LED Vs bulb indicators

Discussion in 'Modifications and Projects' started by fangsta, May 11, 2009.

1. LED

2. Bulb

0 vote(s)
  1. I havent personally replaced my indicators, but a work mate has.. and his LED replacements seem to be brighter at night, but not as bright as the normal bulbs during the day... :)
  2. You'll probably find that once you install the LEDs they will blink faster....alot faster than legal & draw attention you don't wont. Think you will also need to buy & hook up some sort of controller.
  3. +1, the LEDs draw less power so blink faster.

I like it though, even though they're probably slightly above the legal limit of 120 flashes per minute, they do get attention, and they can be seen from MUCH further away than bulbs.
  4. In-line resistors or relays are a pretty easy fix for the fast flashing - relays are available on eBay, resistors from Jaycar or any electronics shop.
  5. I've got an LED taillight with integrated indicators, and I have to say I'm not too convinced by the brightness and visibility of the indications. The integrated unit looks nice and clean, but I think I may buy some aftermarket indicators to attach to the sides of it.

I consider cars behind me being able to understand my intentions, FAR more important than the back of the bike looking a little cleaner.
  6. I've seen mixed results from LED taillights/indicators.

Stock fitment, never had any problems - LED brakelights are just as bright if not brighter than bulb brakelights, day and night, in my unscientific observations.

I've seen more than a few bikes with great aftermarket LED indicators.

But I've seen more than a few bikes with absolutely useless pissweak aftermarket LED indicators that barely work at night, letalone daytime.

Caveat empor.

Assuming equal brightness, I think LED brakelights are superior to bulb brakelights, because the response time for an LED to reach full brightness is a fraction of a second faster than the response time of a bulb. It's splitting hairs, but in a fraction of a second the vehicle behind you can travel a few metres - in an emergency-stop situation, every bit counts.
  7. LEDs should be brighter, in general, consume less power
    Also no filament which has to withstand the vibrations of a bike
    Aesthetically, subjective - some prefer the smaller/cleaner LED look
    I'm replacing mine soon (with flasher unit)
  8. You can get some fairly nifty replacement bulbs, too, that will boost your brightness at the expense of current draw. They're easy to replace, with negligible maintenance (although higher than LEDs) and minimal initial purchase price. I say go the bulbs.

The only problem with LEDs in my opinion is price, followed closely by having to replace the stock flasher unit with a non load-sensitive one if you want to maintain correct and legal flashing rate.

I suppose I'm a bit 'old school' on this one, but I just don't go much on LEDs. Stick with the bulbs, and uprate them if you want brighter flashers.

Cheers - boingk
  9. Thanks for the advice guys, I might hit Jaycar today and see if they can help. It's starting to get more complicated (for those electronically retarded) than I first thought.
  10. A small LED comes nowhere near the raw output of a small halogen. Unless your forking out for the like the 5w jobbies.

LEDS : More noticeable by night, rolling deathtrap by day, that includes brakelights etc.
  11. Nup, I disagree strongly. It all depends on the quality of the LED product. We have high quality LEDs fitted to our vehicles and the brightness day and night is way in front of equivalent bulbs. But if you buy cheap, you probably get what you pay for...

(Off-topic) It's interesting to watch a B-double or road train that has LEDs on the rear trailer and bulbs on the prime mover. Normally, if all bulbs, the prime mover lights first, followed by the second trailer, followed by the rear trailer, and the brightness diminishes dramatically due to resistance in the multiple connections. If the rear have LEDs and the prime bulbs, the rear trailer lights up first and brightest. My opinion is they should be mandatory on heavy combinations.
  12. Disagree all you like, it's a technical fact.
    True, the higher end leds are fine, but there's plenty of lower end, even factory fitted SHITE out there.

I think they are goin that way, re heavy vehicles. I hope so, it's much safer especially for their running lights etc.
  13. LEDs are instant-on and instant-off. It helps for attention a little bit.
  14. these are my flushmount leds

can also set to these modes

luv em
  15. Bit behind the 8 ball here being a month behind the thread and all but...

I went expensive led's, look a heap better and draw less current.

Awesome visibility.

I recommend you don't put resistors in as they get very HOT! (any resistance creates heat in a circuit) In the case of a regular indicator bulb (21W) to an LED indicator (3W or so), the resistor has to create a load in the circuit of 18W to compensate for the low current draw LED's in order to slow the flash rate again. It creates the load in the form of HEAT as it has no other output (light, sound etc).

Sometimes 1 resistor isn't even enough to slow the flash rate again (i'm talking kit form ones specific for LED indicators) I've put them on mates bikes (at their request) and after only about 30sec of flashing they were already very hot to the touch!!

Go LED's and get an LED flasher relay, whilst technically NOT legal as there is no failed bulb indication (the whole reason for the fast flashing) nobody will generally hastle you for this.

If you get the right relay for your loom you can generally get one to plug in without modification. They are mostly a simple 2 pin plug but I know late model honda's like mine run a 4 pin (because of the hazzards) and you should check what yours has before you purchase.

Check out the pics in my garage, there's a pin of my tail (with LED tail light and indicators) though small, they pack a fair punch!
  16. Yes, those can't be used on the road, because the Australian Design Rules state that the indicators must be a certain minimum distance apart. (From memory it's something like 380mm? 300mm?)
  17. thats quite funny.. if that was the case i would assume that a bike with these fitted and side indicators removed, would not pass a roadie..

funny that, i was checking out a f4i with these fitted at a yamaha dealership andthe guy i was chatting to said it would pass a roadie... dodgey bastards.....
  18. I just got oxford mini bulb indicators. Prefer the bulb look myself.