Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LED light issues

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by Jewfishy, Jul 10, 2015.

1. Hey guys, so over the past few days I've set to work modifying the Vtr. I've replaced indicators and tailights with LEDs, however there are a few issues.

The indicators flash too quickly, and the tail light can't use dual mode. It seems the brake light won't work in a circuit, so I'm able to either use full, or half power depending on which wire I choose, doesn't seem to make a difference if I use all three wires. Only works if I plug either the brake, or running wire into the wire that is meant to trigger the brake light. If that all makes sense, can post a video if it helps.

I understand that you may be able to buy a little box meant for converting normal lights to leds, if so could someone give me the name of this or link me to one? Or are there other ways to go about this.

2. The flash speed thing is common, the easiest solution is a electronic flasher can. You need to work out if the one in your bike is a two wire or three wire version.

A bit confused on your brake light issue, can you have another go an explanation.
  3. LED blinkers often need a resistor placed in line with them to make the flasher can think it has the same load as a normal globe.
    each indicator globe might be 5W, so you need at least a 5W resistor per globe.
    if front and back are LED, then 10W at least.
    what resistance, must be millions of sites on google that tell you. or ebay...

or get electronic flasher can that is not load dependent.
    some are (legally) load dependent, as they are supposed to flash quickly when a bulb fails and the load decreases.

brake light.
    1 wire is common power (or common ground)
    1 wire is ground (or power) for tail light
    1 wire is ground (or power) for stop light

edit, beaten by CJ :p
  4. #4 Jewfishy, Jul 10, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 10, 2015
    Here's a somewhat better explanation CJ

Okay, so there are three wires coming from the bike, and three from the new led brakelight.
    Let's say wire A is the positive circuit, and wire B is the negative. Together they make the loop which would cause the normal bulb to be on running mode.

Wire C is the brake light wire, and would cause the normal bulb to go into brake mode.

The led light also has three wires, wire 1 and 2 together should make running mode, wire 3 should be for brake mode.

Wire 1 goes into wire A, but the light does nOt turn on when 2 goes into B. However it does work when connected to C. The led brake light also works when 3 is plugged to C, but is constantly on, connecting 2 to B does nothing.

1 + A and 2 + C = running mode (always on)
    1 + A and 3 + C = brake mode (always on)
    2 or 3 + B = nothing.
    Any easier hehe?
  5. #5 oldcorollas, Jul 10, 2015
    so 1 should be +ve (or -ve)
    2 goes to ground for lights (or +ve for lights)
    3 goes to brake switch (or +ve for brake)

2 and 3 don't need to be connected? and if you do, you're effectively connected 2 diodes in opposite polarity, so no current will flow

got a diagram for your bike?

btw, realllly easy to check with the globe.
    the wire that goes to the side of the globe = ground

ps, what colour are the wires on the bike/standard tail light?
  6. Just testing now, led light only works i
    with the combinations above.
    1 + A, 2 + C or 1 + A, 3 + C.

Stock light works perfectly when I test it.
  7. And if your gunna go with the resistor for the indicators, its needs to be in parallel (across) the led lamp. Not in series. (in line).
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. that's how it's supposed to work.

thanks, I've never bothered to think that through properly :p
    the indicator will have resistor to drop the voltage to what is needed, so needs to be in parallel just to burn power and raise load on flasher can... no wonder they can get hot :D
  9. #9 Jewfishy, Jul 10, 2015
    Wires from bike are green, green with yellow stripe and black with brown stripe.

Black is brake light.

The problem with that though is how do I get it to use dual mode then?

Since when 2 (running wire), only works when connected to black (brake wire). And it is always on. Then there is no where to connect the brake wire on the brake light.

So basically I have to chose either running or brake mode always on, can't seem to get it to respond to turning the brake on.
  10. hmm,
    according to diagram, green is permanent earth
    green/yellow should go to stop switch (check with multimeter if it gets 12V when you activate brake)
    black/brown should go to light circuit (check it gets 12V when you turn on lights)

black gets power from brake switch or is permanent earth?

using a simple single filament globe would be very easy to work out...
  11. Yeah, been using the stock bulb for that, and it works fine.

Also, thanks heaps for the help, really appreciated.
  12. maybe for you it would be
  13. Maybe your LED Lights stuffed?
  14. Yeah, starting to think that.

Also, standard light only works with all three connected.
  15. all three connected to what?

do you have a multimeter? find which wire is permanent ground and go from there

perhaps th eLED7s are wired to have switched ground rather than switched power?
    link to sale ad? (ebay?)
  16. #16 Jewfishy, Jul 10, 2015
  17. Still no closer to understanding your above statement? You realise that LED lights will only work in one 'polarity' in general. As they are by default a light emitting DIODE, they only work with the correct polarity (unlike a filament lamp). If you wire back up your old tail / brake light, does that work OK??

Where is 12V + Supplied, wire 'A' on the bike?
  18. can't be that hard... did it come with instructions?

if you have a 9V battery, or a 12V source (or bike battery?) then you can check which wires need to be connected to the LED in which way to make it work... then you just match to bike..

even if the LED's are switched ground instead of switched power, just requires a bit of wiring change inside.

I'd guess, from that pic, that LED back is ground, and red is for lights.. yellow for brake.

you need to connect up +ve and =ve wires to it to make any sense.
    then you need to figure out what is switched or permanent power from the bike...

then it is dead simple...
    ie figure out if

Green = +ve or =ve. permanent or switched. if switched, brake or tail
    Green/yellow = +ve or =ve. permanent or switched. if switched, brake or tail
    Black/Brown = +ve or =ve. permanent or switched. if switched, brake or tail

for LED.
    does Black to -ve, red to +ve? brake or tail?
    Black to -ve, Yellow to +ve, Brake or tail

etc.... is just logic..

don7t use 1,2,3 A,B,C, use the actual wire colours
  19. Yeah that's what I was saying, standard works fine.
  20. Okay, I think the way I have been wording this may have people thinking I'm more of an idiot than I am. For an hour before this I have tried all wire combinations, none seem to work as switch.

And no, no instructions.

Battery is 12v too.

Stock works fine. So as Old coro said, it might be switched to ground. Since nothing else has worked, I'll try that.

Just need to figure out how exactly tp do that hehe....google is my friend.