Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

LED Indicator Questions

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' started by FALCON-LORD, May 14, 2010.

1. I have just got my self asset of panniers, and am quite happy with them.
    The one minor issue I have is that they do obscure the stock indicators.
    So I was thinking (Yeah I know some of you guys question whether or not that ever happens) what about integrated LED indicators.
    This sort of thing
    So here is the question. If I were to keep the stock indicators and wire these in series with them, would the whole thing still work. Now I know people have issues with LED indicators as replacements for the stock ones because the resistance is to low and the flasher goes haywire, but would having the resistance a little high cause me any grief?

2. which panniers did you get in the end?
  3. Not sure about the electrical side of things, but there might be a legality issue with them being too close together... even though the stock ones are still there. Not sure.
  4. I ended up going for the Oxfords.
    Here is my reasoning
    Yeah that is always a concern, but I think I’d have a better chance arguing the case if I am over doing it than under doing it.
  5. When I changed the undertail on the R1, it had LED indicators in with the stop lights.
    I then also added seperate LED indicators as well, which measure 230mm apart.
    Had it checked where I go for rego slips, and they had no problem with it, saying the more the better.
  6. Extra load of the LEDs shouldn't make much difference, but you could always go back to a lower wattage standard bulb to compensate if needed.
    By the way, you'd want to wire them in parallel with the standard ones, not series!
  7. Yes wire them parallel, as the mole suggests. Can't see a reason for that not to work.

I currently have soft RJays panniers that are just 'throw overs' which come with expandable straps to tie on in up to 4 different places.. works well, but also crushes my rear indicators out place.
    Sits infront of them, hard against their housings.

Getting an integrated tail light/indicator setup would solve this (I'm still looking). An R6 setup shouldnt be hard to find though.
    Would look cooler too ;)
  8. I would have thought that if I were using a low resistance indicator to put them in series, but if using something with high resistance to put them in parallel (As I recall from my Analog electronics many years ago)
    At the moment I am looking at these.
    They are a little more pricy than all of the ebay options, but it looks like they have more LEDs packed into the space (32 per side as apposed to 20)
    They say they have the resistors in the unit, so Parallel it will have to be.
    If they will work in conjunction with the stock ones.
  9. Find an LED compatible flasher can to save the hassle of the resistors and flash rate changes.
  10. I am not intending to remove my stock indicators or change the fronts at all, so If I am changing the flash rate it will be just of the tail ones.
    So that is probably not the way to go.
    The one I have posted above actually comes with the inline resistors. (If I go that path)
  11. The flash rate is resistance dependant normally so if you add or change the number of normal "globes" it will affect the flash rate.

Hence the reason cars with a blown globe tend to flash much quicker on the side that has the fault.

Buried somewhere in the ADR's is the max & min flash rate you have to have.

LED's in normal use are around 1.2 Volts so need an inline resistor so they don't blow up, some LED packages may need a parallel resistance to bring the total load up for the flasher can so it matches what it would normally see with globes.
  12. I concur…
    And as I said, the one I am looking at and have posted above comes with an inline resistor.
    But because I am not intending to change the normal globes changing the flasher module would not work, so inline resistors just for this makes more sense.
    But thanks for the heads up.