Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Lectre is going on a road trip... suggestions welcome!

Discussion in 'Roads, Touring, Journeys, and Travel' at netrider.net.au started by Lectre, May 1, 2007.

1. <mods:- if in wrong place please relocate... sorry!>
    Hey all.
    I'm going on holidays as of Tuesday the 8th (my B'day!), and have decided to go on a road trip during the weeks after; just load up a backpack and away I go!
    ... problem is that I'm yet to decide whether I should head north to Hervey Bay/Bundaberg/Rockhampton, or whether I should head south to Byron Bay, Coffs Harbour, Port Macquarie. The furthest north I've been thus far (in australia) is Hervey Bay, and the furthest south I've been via road is Byron/Kyogle...
    I'm not looking to spend 8 hours a day on the bike, but it'd be cool to hear if there are any choice rides which may sway me to go one way or the other. It'd also be cool to meet some fellow netriders who obviously don't live in Bris-vegas.
    One thing to point out is I'd be adverse to visiting towns/places which qualify themselves as "retirement homes", if you get my meaning (I'm turning 30, not 50).
    I Look forward to reading the responses

2. Get yourself the motorbike atlas... got some good ideas in that (or borrow mine).

I humbly suggest the southern idea, having earlier ridden up from Tas I found some beaut roads. (and you get to see the Nabiac motor bike museum). Only downside is that way would be colder.

I'll go thru the atlas and write up a possible route for you.

JJ

3. All the 50 year olds are going to just love that, of which I am not one might I add :wink:

Sounds like a fantastic trip whichever way you decide to go, enjoy yourself (and don't eat anybody):cool: :wink:

4. If you got the time, why not visit Sydney, Melbourne,. Adelaide, and take in all the great bike roads along the way.

I did Mlb, Coolangatta, Goondiwindi,dubbo home (mlb) in 4 days, and can't see why you couldn't even double that to take in some more roads.

2 weeks could see, sydney, melbourne, adelaid and back home via a variety of scenic routes.

As well as the bike atlas, try a touring atlas - I have one, and it makes it easy to plan a longer trip without drama.