Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaving engine to sit, any prep work?

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' started by T4Tom, Jan 25, 2012.

1. Hi all,

I'm planning on leaving one of my engines to site for a while and wont be able to run it.

I'm having problems with another engine of mine because it sat for so long and don't want the same thing to happen to this one.

What can I do to the engine so that it will store for a longer period of time, probably 3 or more months?

It's a GPZ250.

2. Remove spark plugs, pour in a LITTLE oil (1/2 a dozen or so drops), wind engine by hand a few times, replace spark plugs. change engine oil for nice new stuff, ensure all coolant is drained and bung any holes.
    COVER inlets with cling film and rubber bands to hold it in place, amd block any other holes to stop bugs setting up residence](*,)

when you go to start it up expect some smoke from the oil in the cylinders
  3. Sweet. Thanks for that. Do I need to do anything to the carbies?
  4. Oh yeah drain fuel out of carbs (forgot)
  5. was gonna say when I used to work for Repco when they did 4 cyl engines, I used run oil thru new engines run them for minutes then check for heat on rod ends etc, these were short motors, always sprayed oil down all cylinders and flipped the motor and spary eveyrthing in oil covering rods, ends, cyl to ensure the metal got a soaking for when 'first firing' there be some protection to the metal [as Ducfreak] mentions above with putting some oil in thru plug ends!!
  6. Thanks guys. I'll make sure I do.