Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leaving a bike in the elements :?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by R0SSC0, Aug 19, 2010.

1. Hi guys and girls. It's been ages since I've been on this forum. I've actually moved to london (sold the Across) and will be coming off my restrictions in a couple of months. I'm eyeing off a Kawasaki Versys, but I've recently thought about a potential problem. I won't be able to store the bike undercover anywhere.

Will this be a big problem? Obviously I would buy a motorcycle cover, but I'm still worried about how the bike will cope. Winter here will be pretty nasty too - very wet and cold. If I do go ahead and buy one, what will I need to do to take care for it if it gets left out?

2. Pour a cup of concrete in it's tank and tell it to harden the f*k up
  3. i would never leave a bike in the elements...by choice. if i could get my bike and park it in the lounge room i would, if i didnt have a garage/carport.

i ride my pushpike to work (38 kms return) and i see about 4 bikes every day parked in the elements. one of them i would say no less than 2 years old.
  4. that is a serious trip for pedalling! i'm guessing it's all uphill coming home too?
  5. Leaving a bike outside year round in the UK won't kill it mechanically but it'll deteriorate very fast cosmetically. I know, 'cos all my bikes lived on the street. Commuting year round in London isn't kind to machinery either.

Personally, I wouldn't buy anything shiny under the circumstances. I'd get a cheap old hack or something with cosmetic crash damage, coat everything important in grease, every fastener I'm likely to need to undo in Copaslip and let the elements do their worst.

Electrics and brakes will need regular maintenance and doses of whatever anti-corrosion treatment takes your fancy.
  6. You've got a bigger problem. Bike theft is absolutely rife in the UK (as you should know). If you leave it outside in public view, in very short order it will be gone. No matter what 'security' you fit to it.
    And as far as deterioration, a bike cover would help (until it gets stolen). Riding it on salted roads will probably do even more harm than parking it in the elements.
  7. Hi Simon!

the last 4 kms is slowly going uphill, but the last 500metres is steep. i walk that last bit now, since a knee operation in feb this year.
  8. Agreed that theft is a major problem, but going down the battered and grease coated route, combined with a ****-off big lock and chain (and using it whenever the bike's out of your sight) will be a massive help. Well, none of my hacks ever went missing :D.
  9. Ive only got a 'waterproof' cover over my bike, and its just fine. That said I have a second 'waterproof' cover over the seat, since the first 'waterproof' cover, isnt.
    I ride it every day so its also convenient :p.
    My bike is insured and aint worth stealing anyway. When i get a nice bike ill garage it and put all the bondage chains and whips and leather stuff on it.
  10. Yes well, that was a bitter learning experience for me. Wouldn't wish it on anyone.
    Never think your bike isn't worth stealing - thieves aren't smart. And not having a bike is sh*t.
  11. I think the 'weatherproof' ones are supposed to do a better job of it.
  12. Don't kid yourself.

A big chain will deter the kiddies and the joyriders who tend to be a bit dim and will take anything they can, but the pros know exactly what is worth stealing. Shiny new sports bikes with unmarked stock plastics are a particular favourite for obvious reasons. Clag caked old heaps are of limited interest and will usually only disappear if you're unlucky enough for a "client" to want a specific, rare part.

Bear in mind that the British climate, combined in winter with road salt, is a lot less kind to bikes than anything in Australia (apart from the Aussie sun's tendency to eat plastic). Not to mention that the air in major cities is sufficiently polluted that it presents a major corrosion hazard in itself. In a year with a crappy summer, it's entirely possible that areas on you bike will never dry.

The above (as well as rife poverty) are major reasons why the UK is home to the finest rat-bikes on the planet.