Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leave a 3 sec. gap

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by kungfupigeon, Jan 30, 2010.

1. Friend got his bike fixed last night so we decided to go for a ride in national park today. All's well until we went home... At lights, I headed off first, he followed, soon after I looked behind and he wasn't there, rode slower and still didn't catch up... stopped by the side and a car pulled over to tell me my friend had got hit...

His front brake had seized up momentarily, slowing down considerably, when the car behind stopped in time, however 2 cars after, rams right after one another, so car 4 onto 3... onto 2... then nudges my friend... luckily he didn't drop during the whole thing, but the cars behind had radiator fluid and all everywhere... just goes to show how important to stay some distance behind in case anything happens!
  2. F#$king Tailgaters!

3. Nah, it's important to look past the cars in front, but do you think you can teach that?

Failing that, leave a phucking 5 second gap, cos you're gunna need it.
  4. man that sucks.

mobs of cars at intersections are nothing more than dumb cattle...lights go green and the herd just stampedes in a tightly packed mob, with their snouts up each others arses, to the next red light...then lights turn green and they do it all over again moooo...a couple of feet between each other and too dumb to realise that theres another cow in front of the cow directly ahead of them...so that cow could'nt run any faster even if it wanted to....man cars are so dumb, must spend a small fortune on brake pads.

i try to either keep the herd out in front of me so i can watch them, because they often veer of course for no apparent reason, being the dumb animals that they are..
    or get the herd well behind me...preferably the latter.

i try to avoid getting caught in the middle of the herd because they can close in crush you so easilly.

but as you mentioned buffer buffer buffer...once you learn to navigate traffic via bike theres really never any need or reason to be close behind another vehicle.

and if you get caught in the herd buffer 360 degrees...try to stay in their mirrors, but if one comes close, open the space from that angle.
    got to keep a nice bubble around you...that is the cool zone.. for you, the cool dude on the motorbike only... no car has any business being in the cool zone.
  5. I prefer herd in front, that way, other stupid herds that would usually just run out from side streets see their fellow herd coming. Never like having a herd coming up from behind, just don't know what they're going to do (or hit).

Anyway, glad your mate is okay...
  6. I always try and see whats happening much further down the road. If i can't, I pay extra attention to the car in front.
  7. You gotta always read the road ahead.. always.
    Most people don't do that.
    I had a funny case of the complete inverse today in my car.
    Saw an empty gap at the left lane of red lights, so did a head check, indicated, then changed lanes into a stop. Heard a beep, looked in the rear view, saw some crazy yobbo lady in a '90s commodore gesturing at me into a stop behind me.
    Saluted sarcastically and kept on going.

I didn't know they wanted the red carpet rolled and the lanes cleared for them. That is, unless I did something stupid earlier, which I know I didn't.
  8. Im trying to get myself to scan further ahead, but ocassionally the target fixation kicks in on the vehicle in front of me. It takes practice and you have to kick yourself to do it - especially if you have been caged for years and are oblivious to anything more then about 30 metres ahead as 99% of car drivers are, but its well worth it.
    Several would be (and lots of potential) accidents involving me and my bike have been averted by it, in just 5000km of riding so far!
  9. ........
  10. If I tailgate its usually due to righ lane hoggers and I position myself so that i'm either just next to the rear of the car or just behind it to the side so I have a clear escape route. I don't do it often and I don't do it for long.

However, one day coming back from a run through the natio on the main road heading up toward heathcote, I did this because there was room for the car to move over and they opted not to in order to pass a few more cars so I thought i'd get up there so I could either wait for him to move or me to boot it in a spectacular undertake.... Anyway, the moment I move up there a car moves right up to my tail and because I was to the left of the lane was invading the space where my bike would be able to move laterally in the lane. I slowly shifted right and dropped back a bit to regain a bit of space then gave him the happy swerves...

Tailgating on a bike is very different to doing it in a car. The bike can shoot out of the way pretty easily. Its not my favourite manouvere but sometimes I legitimise its usage whilst using my vision up ahead to gauge the safety of the manouvere. The difference between me tailgating and the car behind me doing it was that I could see in front of the car ahead of me, the car behind me left themselves no exit strategy and was happy to sit alongside my vehicle in the lane thereby closing off a few of my options and having no view of what was in front of the car in front of both of us.
  11. I don't know...when I drive I always pay attention to the car that's 2 cars ahead, as soon as their brake lights glow I prepare to slow down or e-brake. Have been doing it since my L's. Just hate some cars with ridiculous dark tinted windows and can't see through them. I guess it depends on the individual person and their ability to Think Ahead. They should really teach that at driver/rider schools.

On the bike it's easier...peep over the top of the cars and you can pretty much pin point the idiots from the sheep and the anxious from the sunday drivers.

Back to the OP...good to hear your mate came out good.