Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by nightgash, Apr 26, 2007.

1. I want to get some leathers so I can take my bike to Broadford race track. The question is, should I just buy a full one piece race suit or buy a stylish leather jacket that zips into leather pants?

I'm thinking that I will go with the separate jacket and pants and not buying the race suit as I don't think I'm going to be doing any competitive racing any time soon. I just want leather protection so I can do ride days at different circuits and have better protection on the road.

Is this the right choice? Are you allowed casual leather jackets and pants that zip together at the waist to go to track days or do you need the full on race suit?

2. I don't know the requirements for track days, but as far as practicallity goes the 2 piece would be more versatile as you can wear them separately if you want to.

Safety takes precedence over versatility though, so stand by for more useful advice :wink:
  3. Hey mate, if you go the non-race two-piece option, the top and bottom have to completely zip around like on a two-piece race suit. Read the faq on any ride day site and they will tell you this.

I've got a two-piece race suit and can wear the pants by themselves with my other jackets which is great but can't wear the top as a standalone jacket as it is cut much shorter (being part of a suit) so you may want to consider this if you don't have another jacket to use.

If you have other road gear already why not go the one-piece? They are easy to pickup secondhand and ideal for track work. :)
  4. Good thinking JL I will have to find out if the IXON jacket and pants do zip right around.
  5. You could also get a tailor to sew in a full circumference zip to match the jacket and pants together if the original zips don't mate but I would suggest that it is sewn into the actual leather and not attached to the jacket lining material for it to be effective in keeping you safe and also passing the track requirements.
  6. Ok so I guess I need to find out if the IXON Mystic leather jacket will zip together all the way around with the IXON Iguane leather pants. :)