Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leather suits

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Dennoire, May 18, 2011.

1. Are leather suits a good idea for beginners? Are they one time use or can they take a fair bit of punishment. If your suit becomes too damaged in an accident, can it be claimed on insurance?

I realise it all depends on the quality of the suit, but I am looking at getting one of the better quality ones, with the mindset that I would rather spend the money on good quality gear that will last, and provide better protection than something cheaper. Looking at the prices of good jackets, and pants, it seems like a better idea to just get a two piece suit.

http://www.mcas.com.au/_product.php?section=1&prodid=11761

I am considering a suit like this. Would I be right assuming this would be all I needed for a few years (with the exception of say a pair of riding jeans)? Would it be suitable for summer and winter (with some winter gear underneath)? Wet weather with a waterproof suit over the top? Im not asking for specific information on this exact suit, but on any medium/high quality suit in general.

My bike will be my sole method of transportation.

Sorry for the question spam im just looking for some info before I fork out all that money.

2. 1. Depends what kind of riding you do. You'll never commute in a full suit more than once.
    2. Depends on how hard you hit em.
    3. Depends on your policy.

I bought a 2 piece suit at the end of last year, the pants have seen considerably less use than the jacket, not even considering the fact that whenever I'm going to uni I wear different (winter) jacket and gloves only. If you're going to spend that much on a suit, you're better off getting stuff that you're more likely to wear every time you take the bike out.

A suit doesn't fit that criteria unless you only go for sunday rides.

3. :WStupid:

I have leathers for the weekend and textiles for everyday riding and touring (cause they are waterproof).

I lived in England for a while and over there a lot of guys wear full leathers all the time but its less common here.

4. I've got the whole package - full leathers, boots, gloves, back protector, helmet. Take it all to uni. Takes a couple of minutes to put them on/take them off. Although it does help that I have a place to store my leathers when I get to uni. Otherwise you'd want to wear something that you can walk around in I guess ie: kevlar jeans etc.

Safety wise, leather offers the best abrasion resistance (ie: you can slide in leathers for longer without losing your skin), impact wise, it really depends on the body armour in the jacket/pants.

A good set of leathers can last you a couple of years.

On some recent rides it has been very cold, especially at night. Wearing thermals underneath the leathers usually fixes that problem though.

Waterproof suit on top works well :)

Just ask yourself what YOU want to wear - leathers or textiles? When I bought my gear I thought the textiles looked better, but I wanted that extra piece of mind with the leathers in terms of abrasion resistance. Then try out some brands. Fitment is very important - you don't want to feel uncomfortable, and you don't want the armour moving around either. Just make sure you are prepared to wear everything you bought, ALL THE TIME. It takes a bit of effort at the start, especially with full leathers, but it will become a habit like it has for me :D

5. I have that suit (or a very very similar one from Dainese)
    It's very nice to wear as a two part suit for weekend rides but there's no way you'd commute with it. The knee/shin armour is very bulky and when fit properly quite tight so it's definitely not ideal. I bought a pair of kevlar jeans instead to wear instead (from MotoLegion, have kevlar everywhere knee/hip armour posted to me for $140). The lining inside the kevlar jacket is quilted and quite warm, 100kph wind doesn't get you cold. This is the part that I wear every day, however I dont think the fit is proper for everyday usage, its designed to be quite tightly fitting so a bigger textile jacket may be better.

Have a look here:
    http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/Home

Extremely strong kevlar mesh jackets for cheaper, and they're tailor made.

6. Unless you have somewhere to change and store your gear you won't want to be commuting in full leathers.

7. About half the guys that commute to my office wear leathers EVERYDAY. and about half of the regulars I see on the way in and out are in full leather too.

When I was breaking in the onesie I was getting strange looks from the regular full leather wearers on my commute though. I guess a one piece is viewed as a little too much.

I find my leather jacket with a fleece jumper over the top warmer than any winter jacket I've ever owned.

8. Wearing a jumper over your jacket? man this is getting weird

9. You like to stretch your leather jacket in winter?
    Is it so you have extra air movement through it in summer, or are you just buying your jacket too big to start with?

10. I wear a leather jacket and over the top of this for winter I wear a leather vest - the second layer of leather ( vest ) is not heavy but stops all the wind 100% and this is what maks you cold - the wind

Plus the leather vest over the jacket makes me look like a badass with all the patches sewn in it

I look like a omc bad ass with it all on but riding a R1 which is strange and people just dont get it

11. I wear my mesh jacket in winter.

Like a boss.

12. Thanks for all the advice.

Dont higher end suits have windproof liners?

13. depends. the high end leathers are race leathers designed for the track and its more about keeping cool. if you look at the motogp guys you'll see they mainly wear perforated leathers.
    road leathers tend to be windproof anyway unless you have perforations and vents. summer is the big problem with heat. winter you can wear thermals underneath and waterproofs over the top.

14. My leather suit has a removable windproof liner, and I wouldn't exactly call it higher end! So they don't necessarily have to be higher end to have a windproof liner, but you can check this when you're looking at the suits.

15. My jacket has a "winter liner", but it still has too much airflow, by taking the liner vest out I can comfortably wear a jumper underneath.

16. For the price of a 2 piece suit like the one in the link you could buy a whole lot of gear for different uses.

For example I have 3 jackets (mesh, leather and winter textile), 3 pairs of pants (kevlar jeans, leather pants and winter textiles) and 2 pairs of boots (touring boots and high ankle protecting street boots).

All up I have only spent a touch over $1400 on all of this gear (all of it picked up at a minimum 30% off RRP) which is good for anything between a 45 degree commute or a tour through the Snowies with the white stuff still on the ground. I know that many on here will be like my wife and claim that this is far too much stuff for one person to wear because "you can only wear one set at a time" but I maintain that this is my only vice having gear that can keep me focused on the road rather than my own comfort is a great thing to have.

To cut a long post midnight and semi-coherent ramble short you made the right decision to buy good quality gear first time round but you should really look at getting some gear to suit all seasons and in Sydney you have some of the more reasonable clearance sales available to you.

17. Short version:
    I dont want to buy cheap gear, have it protect me once or twice, then have to spend money on gear again. I am willing to spend abit of money up front on gear that will do the job and last. But before I spend a great deal of money I just want to be sure its the right thing to do.

It was my understanding that leather provides the best protection (other than kangaroo and stingray or something but that increases the price considerably). I am also lead to believe that a perforated suit like the one linked is good for summer with all the air ventilation, and with a wind proof liner, and some thermal underwear, would also be able to handle winter. and with a rain coat suit handles wet weather. This is what I have learned from these forums in passing comments but some people opinions conflict with each other.

I am not sold on this suit and have not bought it. I have just been using it as an example for my questions. Im looking for a well made suit that is versatile in different weather conditions and offers good protection, and I thought that suit might meet those requirements.

So the problem lies not in its protection, but its lack of versatility? or its comfort? Do the mesh and/or textiles compare to leather suits in terms of protection and durability?

Sorry for the long post. I am new to road bikes and dont own one yet, but was going to get the gear first, then the bike.

18. Have a look here:
    http://motoport.worldsecuresystems.com/Home

Extremely strong kevlar mesh jackets for cheaper, and they're tailor made.[/QUOTE]

I have a pair of there GP2 Licra Kevlar pants,the mesh gear is supost to be even more versitile weather wise,the pants I have are by far the best most comfortable gear around,and there also supost to be the only non leather gear rated for racing by the FIM,fantasic all year gear.And you can chuck it into the washing mashine

19.  Top
  20. hey mate, im in a similar position at the moment, even considering that same suite. (though i plan to only ride on weekends for fun because i cycle to uni and work so i dont have to worry about commuting comfort so much). anyway i cant comment on the suitability of that suite for riding because bike ownership is still a month or two off for me.

but i will say, go into mcas/ another shop, try on the gear then buy it online from America, you will save a few hundred at least on top of GST (if its over 1k)

one website ive found recently to have good prices and also good video reviews on lots of gear are these guys http://stores.sportbiketrackgear.com/StoreFront.bok