Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leather jacket for a tall rider

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by y2k, Jul 13, 2009.

1. Hi guys,

I'm a new rider, just got my L's and have been searching for gear for the past week or so.

I'm about 6ft 2 and weigh 80kg's and all the jackets I try on seem to finish about 5cm above the waist (some even higher), and when wearing it with a pair of hornees or draggins it exposes some flesh. Some of the sales guys say its normal, and some have suggested I could look for some custom made stuff.

Are there any other tall guys that have had the same trouble? What's your advice ?
  2. It's somewhat normal. Best way to get rid of exposed skin would be to look at a 2 peice suit.

Or one peice but they can simply things harder like pissing
  3. I had similar probs, just had to try on a variety of makes & models.
    In general, Dainese seem to be cut more for our proportions.
    (as a friend said "dainese don't make stuff for fat people")

I got one of their jackets, newsan, this one:
    It could still be longer in the arms & body but was one of the better fits I found
  4. Hey mate,

I'm 6ft5 and 90kg, had the same issues. A* was no good, tried a few others on, the only one that fit me was the dainese santa monica. I tried on the delmar but that was no good, too short, shoulders too tight... but the santa monica is amazing, don't even notice that I'm wearing it once I'm sitting on the bike. It comes with a winter liner as well which is working in the 0 degree tassie mornings!

It's still fairly short but all leather jackets are like that, it's no worse on a tall person than other style jackets are on shorter people (if that makes sense!). So yeah, definitely worth trying on the santa monica... don't just try a Delmar and decide Dainese are no good because the two styles are cut completely different. Unfortunately dainese are about as exxy as they come, but the quality is second to none.

Also, when you try jackets, get them to put the slip in back protectors in, it changes the shape of the jacket, mine fit much better with the back protector in.

Hope that helps... good luck!

5. Really?

I'm not tall (175cm) and a Newsan fits me like a glove.

For the record the newsan was to short for y2k, though a Berik fit him very well.