Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leather in the rain?

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by rdkls, Jul 2, 2009.

1. Howdy all
    Yesterday bought me a Dainese Newsan jacket like this one:
    (but less moody ... and also clean-shaven)

Anyway the booklet & my friend say rain could be very bad for it.
    I plan on giving it a good going over with dubbin, for softness, nourishment and waterproofing anyway -
    But how bad is it to ride in the rain in leather, without wet-weather gear?
    Who has done this
    what happened to your jacket
    do you recommend anything? (related to this...)

I ask because I'll be commuting, and if there's no rain on the horizon don't want to be bothered carrying gear, and don't care too much about riding in the rain, so probably cop a drenching a few times a year.
    I look forward to your intelligent inputs!
  2. A little "sprinkle" would have no conciquences. if you are caught in a downpour, make sure you dry it and oil it. leather is fine if you get it wet.... just make sure you care for it. or it will dry out and crack and go stiff
  3. Qouted from Seinfeld:

I once had a leather jacket that got ruined in the rain.
    Why does moisture ruin leather?
    Aren't cows outside a lot of the time?
    When it's raining, do cows go up to the farmhouse, "Let us in! We're all wearing leather! Open the door! We're going to ruin the whole outfit here!"
  4. You are right in giving it a good doing' as soon as you get it....will def help its longevity.......
    The worst problem about getting leather wet is either (a) not getting it to dry or (b) artificially drying it in front of a heater or something.. :?
    Its this hastening of the drying process that seems to be leathers downfall causing the leather to dry out and then crack.. :cry:

I can only assume that, if you get a drenched leather garment you need to dry it naturally but out of direct sunlight....which is going to take time and patience, something most of us just dont have enough of because the garment is required again soonafter........
  5. i use zorbel on my leathers.
    it's recommended by walkalong leathers ( the business that does all leather repairs/ alterations) in campberwell (melb).
  6. I agree with the drying bit as Rogues said, drying leather too quickly causes it to loose its natural oils drying the leather out. Rain in itself does not wreck the leather its the poor drying processes that ruin leather.
    If you do get your jacket wet no probs just dry it on a coat hanger (helps maintain shape) away from, humidity, excess heat, direct sunlight.

Getting it wet should not wreck it, but i am led to beleive it weakens the leather whilst it is wet don't know 4 sure about that though.

Anyways dryness can also wreck leather so its best to keep leather oiled.

I still have my dads old leather jacket which is in decent nick and it has been around for over 20years, i just stick it in the washing machine to wash it so i think its proof water wont wreck it.
    My 2c worth lol.
  7. Dubbin is your friend :LOL: .
    I'm still wearing the jacket I got '83
    Dry natural (if it does get through the Dubbin) and don't be too concerned about getting it wet.
    I have "used" the jacket twice and my leather pants (now retired through road rash) once.
    Broke bones but kept all the skin.
  8. Wearing a suit dry is the best but you can't do that if it rains for a long period, jackets are not so bad but don't dry it in the sun or let it dry out of shape. Oil it down when it is dry and ride in it so it sets back into the right shape.
  9. Yeh dubbin's awesome hey :]
    Nice for dry boots,
    Few years back got a leather jacket on ebay from the 50s or 60s, been in an attic since then, pretty hard and crackly.
    Some TLC with dubbin and it revitalized fine.

However - did read an article saying to keep the breathability of leather, the pores should remain open, for which lexol is good
    I think he said some oils and waxes, while good for nourishing & waterproofing, not so good for the pores & breathability
    So I just spent $60 getting lexol cleaner & treatment ..... can't be bad, could be better than the dubbin, will see will see ....
  10. get a big light weight rain jacket from aussie disposals or somewhere and put it under your seat or in your backpack or whatever and put it on when it rains. takes a few minutes to put on and keeps you warmer too.
  11. Took me 4 days to 'naturally' dry my leather 2 piece suit last time I got caught in a downpour wearing it.

It's fine though...
  12. +1 that's why I almost always have my bag with me
  13. well i actually washed my full leathers in a bathtub of warm water and some shampoo mixed in. you can use soap to give the inside a scrub while the suit is in there.
    then i just drip dry it outside in the warmer months of the year for about 4 days.
    the suit is 10 years old and still perfect.
    so bottom line is....water wont hurt leather if dried properly.
  14. wow blur that sounds so wrong but 10 years hey
    HOWEVER to rain on your .... bath ... the leather weakened, maybe
    not that i care commutinh <80km/h
  15. There's a couple of old threads - search for "leather" and "care" or "caring" - discussing different products and pros/cons.
  16. Get one of them nice bicycle plastic ponchos :wink: .... and i hear that bicycle clips stop the jeans rollin' up yer legs too!!! :p
  17. Visit any bootmaker ( a real one, not Mr Minute) or a "horsie" shop.
    Horsie shops sell a compound (beeswax based) made to weatherproof saddles, boots etc.
    Bootmakers sell a lanolin based product called Colinol. It waterproofs and moistens leather and gives a "parade gloss" as well.
    (Soldiers best friend that stuff!)
  18. that sounds like the 'zorbel' i got from walkalong leather?
  19. We used stuff called "saddle soap" on all our horsie things.