Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

leather gloves

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by ibast, Jun 13, 2006.

1. When I first started riding I used to where these old vinyl gloves. I only had them for a short period of time, before I went out and bought my first pair of real bike gloves. They were neither dear nor cheap, but at the time they were about as much as I could afford. It must have been coming into winter, because they were winteresque in design. Leather.

In truth they were good autumn/spring gloves that were a bit hot in summer and not warm enough in winter. So for the past few years I’ve been looking at these gloves and promising myself that I would get some new ones for winter. I’ve already purchased some summer gloves and sufficed to wear cotton liners under my leather gloves during winter.

Last week in Sydney it bucketed down, for a few days, and never really dried up the rest of the time. The result is my gloves were continuously wet and my hands cold. When the gloves finally did dry out, they were stiff and had a white residue on the outside of them.

In the scary cupboard, at home, there is an old tin of leather conditioner, which I scored for nothing when I bought a pair of work boots once. So I donned the gloves and rubbed some of this stuff in.

The result? Subtle, like new, gloves. I rode to work the next day, which was cold with a little drizzle about. The gloves performed brilliantly. They were warmer then they had been for years and they kept most of the water out. The fat had swollen the leather and made it more wind and water proof.

So the moral of the story is; if you have leather stuff, get some leather conditioner and apply it every now and then. It will make it last longer, look better and work better.

Oh, and the gloves? They’re tagged Trophy. I can’t find any other markings, so I’m not sure about type or model. I’m not even sure this brand is around anymore. And for those that are wondering I bought them in 1991. 15 years ago! So even though at the time I thought them not cheap, they have turned out to be a bargain.
  2. Be careful with leather conditioner as it can soften and rot the stitching that holds the glove/jacket/boots together, thus having more chance of falling apart if you're ever thrown off the bike.