Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leather Conditioning - I think I screwed up

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by Easyrollin, Nov 27, 2007.

1. Well I thought I'd put some leather conditioner on my jacket to clean it and bring it up like new again.
    So I picked up a pump pack of some Eagle 1 leather cleaner/conditioner from the local Sprint Auto.
    Read the instructions, "test on an inconspicuous area first to check for colour fastness".
    No worries, so I give it a small squirt on a small spot on the inside and rub it around a bit. There don't seem to be any problems and the leather came up really nice and supple.

Fantastic, now to do the whole thng right?.......wrong.

The jacket is mainly black leather but there are some bright yellow leather inserts on the elbows and shoulders and when the cleaning solution hit those parts the cloth I was using was coming off bright yellow as the yellow dye slowly dissolved.

After uttering a few choice words that I can't repeat here, I tried getting as much of the cleaing solution off the yellow bits as I could, but now, even a day later, they still feel kind of soft and sticky to the touch and the yellow colouring feels like you could just scratch it off with your fingernail.
    The yellow is still completely intact but it just feels very soft and delicate.
    The rest of the jacket is fine, just those yellow bits.
    I am pretty damn P'd off.

Do you reckon it will improve if I just let it dry out over the next few days or did I just screw my jacket up for good?
    Any experiences?
  2. I'd be taking to a leather repairs place. They might be able to put some coating on the yellow.
  3. Mrs Tree bought some of that stuff a while ago and I've been hesitant to use it (she hasn't used it yet, either). I was concerned that it wouldn't do anything to waterproof the leather. I'll be sure not to use it now! :shock:

Sorry you had to damage your jacket to find out. :(