Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Leather cleaning / care

Discussion in 'Riding Gear and Bike Accessories/Parts' started by geeth, Jun 26, 2009.

1. I am just about to get my first set of leathers on monday and am wondering about keeping it in good nick.

Just looking for tips on cleaning the suit and about using anything to stop the leather cracking and help softening up.
  2. :worthlesspics:

I am posting for TG ;)
  3. I will don't you worry, with my sidis and xr1000.

Guess I should take some TG specific ones :p
  4. Woohooo

And so began the Netrider Leathers calender :grin:
  5. Oakwood Leather Conditioner.
    should be available from most bootmakers, saddlerys and workwear retailers..........
    Easy to use, contains beeswax and lanolin and assists in waterproofing as well.
    It is adviseable for you to do something with your leathers when new so get onto it.... :wink:
  6. awesome I can finally flaunt my arseless chaps and mini-skirt combo!
  7. Thanks so far guys, will have a look into it.

How often should I be applying leather conditioning stuff to the suit?

I was planning on applying stuff to it when I get it and then wear it around the house for a little bit to help break it in as I don't have another bike yet.

And sooty - got a webcam?

8. :grin: You know the drill, Nothing without pics :LOL:
  9. I've always used Lexol Leather Cleaner and Conditioner, you won't need the cleaner on a new suit but the conditioner is great stuff. Use it on my bike gear, leather couches and dining chairs and in both cars. On high wear items like the car seats and lounge i normally give them a good clean and condition every 4-6 months. My bike gear normally every six months but depends on how dirty your gear gets i guess. Its not something you should have to do every month and befor eyou use ANY cleaner test it somewhere inconspicuous first to make sure the leather colour won't run. I haven't had any dramas on Alpinestars stuff though.

You might also want to check out the Zaino leather conditioner Z9 cleaner and Z10 conditioner (smells niiiiiiice).
  10. You little hun, geeth. Love the cheeky pose
    If you need any help applying conditioner, let me know :-w
    ta for PM, too

thank you Sirian for looking out for a sister. :wink:

(I'll cope heaps for this now. hehe!)