Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to turn

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by RussellDP, Oct 6, 2015.

1. So, a few more days pass and a few more things come to light. So I throw the questions out to you gurus.

DO we all have a preferred direction to turn into? EG, for me, I feel more comfortable turning left than right. I feel more able to lean the bike into the turn, feel more stable and more confident. And then I remembered back to my offroad riding days and remembered that it was the same.

Somehow it just feels less stable.

So I am guessing its a practice practice practice thing, but maybe others would like to share their insights?
  2. Left seems to be the preferred direction for most, but for me it's right. It might have something to do with my lack of vision in my left eye; not sure. In the end it doesn't really matter....I go both ways!
  3. From what I know, right-handed people find it easy to turn left and vice-versa (But I maybe wrong).

Same here and even after years of riding, left handed turns are easier to do than right-handed ones (for me, that is). :D

TO make it easier, I always try to lean in and look at where I'm going (try to follow the line of sight more carefully). That's always helpful to me.
    • Like Like x 2
  4. You most likely, as likely most of us would think, 'prefer' left turns in Australia, as we have more road to our right as padding if we were to straighten up a bit (even though you might get mown down by an oncoming vehicle if you actually use it. It seems like there's more real estate if we need it)

Anyway, that's my theory for the day.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. I have always thought it was the camber of the road that made left turns feel safer.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. I think its that in right turn ur pushing on the bar ,braking and rolling the throttle on-its pretty busy wereas lefts its only counter steering. And maybe honkin the horn he he.
    • Agree Agree x 1
  7. Def left 4 me...
  8. Leaning further and further into a right hander especially while hanging off moves one's head ever closer to an oncoming vehicle's bumper. Wariness then is only natural; it's also more cramped around the throttle which probably contributes to the effect too.
  9. It might be whether you dress to the left or right affecting balance
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. I can't pick a preference for one over the other, I'm right handed but suspect practicing complex and different tasks with each hand at the same time while switching focus between them without Interuption to either may have something to do with it. In my case playing guitar, anyone else have no preference?
  11. A guitarist too! Double the cool factor
    • Like Like x 1
  12. Now if I could do both at once while turning right 8-|8-|
  13. I think it has something do with whether you are left or right handed, but will affect different people to varying degrees. I am left handed and find it easier to turn to the right. It has nothing to do with the bike as I was the same when I used to snow ski. Doesn't affect me as much now as I trained myself to feel comfortable turning either left or right. Not an expert, but have heard that it has something to do with the dominant side of your brain.
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. It's the camber of the road and the potential closeness to oncoming traffic that causes one to feel more comfortable on left handlers in Oz. When I rode in the US it was just the opposite.
  15. Never thought about it till now
  16. Left for me to.
    I think it's a combination of a number of different factors.
    I've spent 90% of the last 30 years on the dirt and put it down to access to the rear brake. When leaning into a left hander in the dirt, you straighten your left leg at 45 degrees angle to the front wheel and then use the brake (right foot) to control the direction of the bike. If you come into a corner too hot, it's usually a matter of stabbing the rear brake into a lockup which then changes the direction of the bike from understeer into oversteer, apply power and power-slide through the corner. Trying to do the reverse (on a dirt bike) when turning right is much harder as your right leg is usually fully extended and off the peg/brake which prevents you from using the same technique.
    I think for me, it's been ingrained and is now hard to break.

However the buffer of having another lane if you run wide, head over the centreline and the fact that it's harder to modulate the throttle when you're wrist it bent and leaning into a right hander I believe also play a role...

17. Do a training or track day at Broadford. Only one left hander. I was much better at left handers, did two days there and now my right handers are better.