Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to ride without a bike ;(

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by meshifty, Jan 2, 2012.

1. Hey guys joined up not that long ago and u may have seen a few posts. Anyways my story is as follow.

Bout 3 months ago I got my learners for a bike. Had bout 10k stashed aside to get my gear and a bike so I was stoked to say the least. Went out n got some Takamii jeans, shoi helmet, alpine leather jacket , alpine gloves and some riding boots. Got both wet weather and dry gear cause the atgatt threads really got me thinking. After getting all this gear I was left with about 8k left. Was ready to get a bike when fate kicked me in the nuts with a few medical issues with the wifey.

Cut a long story short 3 months later the 8k has dwindled to a few hundred. My gear is picking up dust and I haven't touched a bike since learners course. Wifey is all good now so hopefully no more med bills

I am expecting to save up cash and have a bike in the next 3 months or so but that will leave me with only really 6 months to sorta teach myself to ride all over again before I contemplate the p's.

My question is should I start looking around at riding schools that hire bikes and do a few courses so at least I can get more exposure , do sone riding before i get my bike and be better ready for the p's test. Or should not be concerned about having to sit the l's again and just go with the flow and see what happens.

By doing a couple of these courses like hart or stay upright I will be digging into the savings for the bike which will delay owning one a bit longer but at least I will build up my skills in the mean time. Where as the other option to go with the flow will likely lead to me being on l's and on lams bikes longer.

Any thoughts or advise or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

P.s finance is not optional at the moment and won't be for at least 6 months as I am already paying off 2 car loans ( final years on both with 5 months and 7 months owing respectively).
  2. If you can get a bike & 6 months practice in, all 'should' be good.
    Although if you could squeeze in a riding course or 2 in as well, that would be a bonus!
  3. Is it possible to go back to where you got your L and practice for free? When I did my L the instructor told me I could come back as many time as I want after to practice with their bikes for free. However I never did so I don't know if he was going to keep his words or not.

Another option would be to borrow your friend's bike I guess.
  4. my friend did the L's course and P's course with only 1 ride of my bike in between and passed easily so i wouldnt worry about the actual test
  5. What Streetmaster said ^^^ (y)
  6. Well I did my l's with stay upright at Clyde in nsw. They were the ones who told me about hiring the bikes and the courses. Looking back now I think that's there nice way of saying don't ask for freebies.

I don't really want to ask friends to borrow there bikes as I don't want to strain friendships over scratches or screwed up fairings lol.

I guess my biggest worry is getting a bike 6 months after doing the l's and then teaching myself had habits just because they seem to work on my quiet street.
  7. If you practice the slow riding stuff you should be right to pass the Ps course after 3 months. A lot seem to pass without doing much specific practice. If you ride 3-4 days a week, maybe after work in a carpark and do some rides on the weekend you should be all good. Try the learners sessions advertised on here. No need for extra courses if you don't want to do that.
  8. 6 months is plenty of time for practicing the skills needed to get your P's and most people get their p's 3 months after L's anyway. once you've got the test out of the way you can do more courses to further improve your skills if your still not feeling comfortable. we learn new things even after years of riding and if your unsure on certain things chances are someone else will have had the same question so just do a search on here or google
  9. Pretty sure most people only wait 3 months on their Ls before going for Ps. Have they upped it to 6 months required now? =S
  10. I did my P's test after having my learners for 3 months & 8 days, 6 months should be plenty of time....
  11. It took me about 6 months, but I was away from my bike for 3 months of that (work travel). I did have to practice in a car park 4 times for the slow riding stuff as I've always been bad at that (even on a pushy).
  12. #12 Tone2, Jan 3, 2012
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 24, 2015
    I booked in and passed my Ps after 3 months and 1 day on my Ls. I would have booked a day earlier except it was a Sunday.

I did quite a bit of practice though (I was on a cruiser so took a while to nail the u turn) and turned up to a few Homebush learner sessions with OzYoda (maybe 3).
  13. Nah, in NSW the minimum is still 3 months with the L's valid for 12 months (prior to July '07, L's were only valid for 6 months). NB. Due to a mix-up at the Transport Road & Marine Services (nee. RTA), my g/friend son's cage L's show an expire in 2013 and he obtained it in mid-'08.

@meshifty - there are people who do the the pre-learners, obtain their L's and the next time they get on a bike is when they attend the pre-provisional course. (Some will then sit out their provisionals so they can get a non-LAMS bike when they are eligible.) I'm not advocating the practice but it happens.

Assuming you get your bike in 3 months, you'll still have a 6 month window to practice before your L's expire. Get yourself down to the Homebush Learner sessions 1.00pm Saturdays (see this thread) where you can practice low-speed riding and the MOST exercises under the guidance of more experiences riders. In addition, they quite often go for learner-friendly group ride afterwards.

14. What he said. (y)
  15. Alternatively, forgetting spending $8K on a new bike and by a cheapy. Chances are when you finally get your $8k you could use the cheapy as a trade in and just about break even. Meanwhile at least you are riding.
  16. I did the obligatory 3 months then tried to book and had to wait another month. It mainly depends on your confidence, some people had their L's 3 times others for only 3 months. Those that were confident passed, those that weren't real sure had trouble. In saying that everyone passed, although if the tester was watching more closely 1 person wouldn't have. Save your money for your second bike. Buy a cheapy old banger that your not too concerned if you drop it, that way you wont be so afraid to ride it. Then get the bike you really like.
  17. Yeah I'm planning on a cheapie. Was originally looking at the kawa. 650rl but now I think my first little runabout until my p's will be a kawa 250. Looking at either a gpx or the zx-2r I think it is. Seen them between 2-4k. If lucky maybe even a gs500
  18. You'll be fine.

Get your self a bike when you can, get as much practice as you can in.

Get your "Ps" when you can and focus on keeping up the learning (getting your Ps is a really, really insignificant step in the learning process IMO, more a formality than anything esle).
  19. Good plan.

I don't like the idea of throttle restricted bikes (the 650Rl) for learners and I don't think it's a good idea for a lot of learners to de-restrict them either, avoid the temptation.

Stick to the GS or the 250.
  20. I'm confused ???
    Can you afford a cheapy now ??? or not. I read it as you could not afford to buy a bike now. Not for maybe 6 months....is this correct.

If it is and you cant ride for about six months then I wouldn't do a school now. You will loose the confidence you gain each time. And have to find it again. While it is easier it still takes time. I would wait and practice other things that will keep you safe and healthy and book in for a two or three day block to get your P's.
    Getting your confidence and feel back the next day is a lot easier than a month or more later. I know it sounds like you are hitting the ground running. On bikes that's not such a bad thing.
    You can still practice spotting the ******** and where you would be on your bike while driving your car. You can focus more and look for markers for corners so forth. getting your brain up to speed is a big thing in riding.
    There's plenty of good reading here and elsewhere to keep you more than occupied.

Buying a cheapy for your first is a good idea. Something you can get your cash back on in six months or more when you go for a better bike when your confidence and skills are ready. And you can ride now :) which is always good.
    Practice is the main thing though. Nothing beats time on the bike practicing.