Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to ride (track)

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by Riderman, May 24, 2011.

1. Hi guys,

Where would you recommend I go for a course on how to ride on the track?

Have you done a course before would you recommend it?
  2. Eastern Creek is your only choice as Sydney is starved of tracks now

California Superbike school is what your after, google it
  3. Probably less than helpful and not the advice you were after, but I'd just book myself into a track day at the nearest and have a go. Seriously, if you head out in the slow group - where even good riders go the first time, at least until they learn which way the corners go, you'll find the majority of that group really do ride SLOW. Hook in and follow them. When you feel they're holding you up and spoiling your fun, ask to be upgraded to the medium group.

You teach yourself. You watch the people who are just a little bit better and quicker than you, and you copy what they do. Along the way, ask advice from people on site, or ask us.

I think you'd find a plain old track day was about $200, and a visit to something like Keith Code or the California Superbike School is about $600. I'm happy to be corrected on this, but if I remember right the courses are about 3 times more expensive than just getting out there and having a go.

Watch motorbike racing on the tv. Especially, watch the MotoGP and the WSBK.

Buy yourself a copy of 'A Twist of the Wrist' by Keith Code.
  4. either go for a superbike school day, or just go to a track day with a mate and start off in the slow group and see how you go.
  5. I'd love to get into it but just can't while I've only got the one bike (and it's my main mode of transport). Maybe in summer if I get around to upgrading I can track my VTR for a bit of fun. I lowered the handlebars and it makes the riding position much, much more aggresive, but I need rear-sets to match it...
  6. You're about right on the costings, mate. It really just depends on rider ability.
    I would only counter that imitating other riders, while it definitely good while getting the layout of the track in your head, etc, one needs to be catious of emulating a rider who's not too good with his skills.
    CSS trains you to ride one of the correct ways, so bad habits are avoided.
    If you can afford it, CSS, introduces you to the track steadily, and can save you from crashing out.
    Plus you still get a few sessions running full tilt. :)
  7. CSS I'm sure is much more track based, but I did the Stay Upright advanced course (Mar 14) at eastern creek and this was the first time I had ridden on a track. If you think you would prefer a slower introduction to the track and to fine tune some other road based skills this could be the ticket.

You get to follow and lead the instructor at certain points and get some one on one feedback, you can choose your own pace. Then at the end of the day you can choose to be in a slow or fast group and just go for it. If you are purely after track work this probably is not the one but maybe worth at look at for some.
  8. I did a Parade Lap,4 off actually,at the Barry Sheen.My first time and its completely different to fast road riding.There are way more options for lines lots of blind approaches,just having an idea of which direction to turn.I wish someone had told me that the blue and white stripped ripple strip marked the side of the track that the apex was on,BTW it was fantastic fun,probably more so with 3 or 4 laps more to learn the circuit.I was completely out of my depth,its easy to get into trouble because the limit is so much higher than street riding,I am rambling,JUST DO IT.
  9. Yes indeed, i had forgotten about the advanced Say UpRight courses. Also very good.