Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to ride - Motard vs Sports Bike

Discussion in 'Bike Reviews, Questions and Suggestions' started by alex92, May 14, 2010.

1. Hey guys I've ridden a few dirt bikes before but my passion is for sports bikes. I'm wanting to get an MC22 as a first road bike but I've been told by atleast 10 people that it is 100x better to learn on a motard, and it really improves your riding skills..

What do you guys think?

Keep in mind that I cannot afford to lose my license so I won't be speeding, popping monos or riding over median strips so those factors don't really bother me..

I will be keeping the motard/mc22 for about 3-6 months just to learn on.. As I said, I love sports bikes, but if the motard will improve my riding skills significantly, I'll sacrifice some looks to build some skills that will make me a better rider in the future :)

2. supermoto is the only way.

drz400sm is what you need.
  3. there's a lot you will need to learn before the style of bike becomes a limiting factor!

to answer your question, if you're passion is sports bikes, get your MC22 and enjoy it. i am not a believer that a motard will teach you how to ride better than any other bike will, but that is my opinion (and i'll be buying a motard as my next street bike).
  4. My mate has one I was riding with him last night. I don't know how they are lams legal. My blackbird has nothing over it below 100. Insane
  5. Hmm. I'm unsure whether a motard or standard bike will improve your skills beyond what a sportsbike does (or vice versa).

I would say that the design aspects of a motard lends itself to easier riding in urban situations and for learners in general, with a (typically) tighter turning circle and wider handlebars for better leverage.

The rider sits more upright and so naturally has less weight on the wrists, leaving the arms free to move without having to consciously stay loose.

Not sure if others would agree/disagree with me, it's just an opinion. :)
  6. Going from the tiny GS500 to the pure awesome of the DR650 motard...

All I can say is; try before you buy, which ever you like best, you won't be disappointed.
  7. practice improves your skills, type of bike is pretty much irrelevant.

There are plenty of guys with technically superior bikes and no experience that get hosed by dudes on shitters who ride all the time, just buy the one that floats your boat, hook up with an experienced rider who is happy to go riding and teach you a few things and put the hours in, generally the more riding the better the skills.
  8. I don't see a motard being a bad choice unless you've got lots of highway km's to do. They soak up mistakes. You can miss your braking marker, you can miss your turn in points, you can be ham fisted on the throttle, you can lose traction, and it all comes back together so much easier than on a heavier, hunched over, clip on'ed sports bike. If it still doesnt end well, it wont cost you anything when you drop it or crash it.

If you're really talking about improving your riding skills, you'll be heading trackside (nothing wrong with getting straight into it) and there's no two ways about it, you improve faster on something you can afford to crash.

If you're conservative and you simply mean you want to work on some road craft, get your hill starts down pat, and do sick u-turns... same-same, nice wide bars, good turning circle, light weight, doesnt cost you anything when you drop it.

Everyone should learn on one ;)
  9. that's a great point devotard... they soak up mistakes...it's a lot easier to correct trail bikes/motards if you pick a bad line.

but i'm thinking if you wanted to move on to a big powerfull sportsbike you'd be better to learn how to control a sportsbike
  10. Ummm…
    I can see what appears to be an inconsistency with this.
    From what all the Tard riders are saying around here, you
    A) have more torque down low
    8) can get the nose up easier.
    So won’t being ham fisted bring you unstuck on a tard much more quickly as a learner?
  11. Motards are fun, forgiving, great for commuting, and have a low top speed so it's harder to get in a lot of trouble with the boys in blue. Also, I have one for sale in the classifieds :p
  12. personal preference I suppose. When I first jumped on the sports coming from dirt, it took me awhile to stop sticking the foot out in corners lol
  13. It doesnt really matter to much which you get, you wouldnt be pushing the limits of either bike anyway when you are just learning to ride.

I did my L course on a trail bike, bought a Husky 610SM Tard as my bike, and did my R-Date on a road bike, and have had no trouble on either.

Just get what you want and be happy and enjoy it :)

Motards are awesome bike, best decision I made was getting mine :D
  14. Having owned a mc22,, and now have a motard, i would highly reccomend a motard as you first bike, however if you have experience on dirt, either will serve you well.
  15. Everything has more torque down low than a cbr250.

If you're looping out wheelies without having even meant to do a wheelie, you're on the wrong bike no matter what type it is. An xr400 or drz400 won't be power wheelieing without a tug on the bars, but that wasnt really my point. You definitely can not be hamfisted with the throttle on an SXV550, but it's all relative. Which bike would you rather wake up to find yourself completely crossed up sideways on, a motard or an MC22?
  16. I learnt to ride on a cbr250. It was the best bike for me at the time. And it was a lot of fun. I have ridden my daughters dirt bike, a crf150r and it is much easier to lift the front wheel on that. You can lift the front wheel on a cbr250, I did, but it is a lot harder to do.
    If I were you I would go with the one you want.
  17. i think we're all missing the point that the OP is a complete road riding noob.

last thing we want is a noob getting on a motard and going flat out because a bunch of us said they can be hamfisted with the throttle, and not worry about crashing it 'cause it wont cost much to fix.

at full lean, even a CBR250RR will have enough power to throw you off the bike if you're careless with the throttle. i could get my 45hp 250 bandit to wiggle around! a 600cc single cyl motard will do it easier.

crashing costs more than a couple fairings and a brake lever. time off work, hospitals, insurance, cops, did i mention it hurts? you shouldn't be out riding thinking "it's ok, i'm on a bike that wont cost much to fix".

noobs should express caution when riding. if they ride a bike they are too scared to crash, 'cause it's their pride and joy, or it costs too much to fix, that's probably a good thing. at the track, riding something u can afford to crash is a different kettle of fish.

devotard did make a VERY good point. get track side and learn your bike craft on the track. no matter what you pick, motard or sports bike.... but if you're wanting track time, the motard is the pick! the track days are cheap, the crash costs are minimal (compared to a faired sports bike), and the speeds are lower. it would be a fantastic way to learn.
  18. The only thing a sports bike is better at than a 'Tard, is going really really fast in a straight line.
    Oh, and one other thing. Running from the cops. Unless you're way out of town and can go bush for a while. Then a 'Tard is better.
    But for hooning around town (otherwise known as commuting) and the average aussie backroad full of lumps, bumps and spots of loose gravel, a motard reigns supreme.
    Larger capacity singles tend to vibe a bit, but in a lower frequency range to your average inline 4. Which some people sook about, but others hardly notice.
    And however you want to look at it, regardless of who's fault it is, they are far far cheaper to fling down the road. Full comp insurance is also affordable in comparison to your average plastic fantastic.
    But you do have to try really hard to crash them. They really are very forgiving bikes to ride. Light weight combined with sticky sports tyres and acres and acres of ground clearance see to that.
    Personally, I couldn't think of a better bike to learn on.
  19. there is a couple of other negatives to consider is you go the super retard way though.

seats = huh?, wheres the seat

freeway speeds in poor weather, gusty winds, water on the road = huh?, how did i get in this lane.
    theres a downside to being super light and having a higher center of gravity.

...apart from that, yes they are the ultimate commuter and totally own the roads 60-80 zones.
    singles give you most of your torque from comparitively low revs, so stop start and roll on acceleration pawns most everthing else out there in heavy traffic.
    they can turn on a dime.
    you sit up high and have greater visibilty over cars.
    if you hit a car you tend to get thrown over the car, rather than through it, like our sportsbike friends.
    after the holocaust you will find the motard is better suited to scavenging through the ruins and roaming the wastelands

the motard is great if you just need a bike to get to work and back and local trips, but if you want to do anything more, day trips, touring...then, not so great.

i do think those who say they are superior to sportsbikes through twisty roads in the mountains are either dreaming or just have'nt come up against people who really know how to ride sportsbikes.
  20. hey i just thought of another motard advantage.

being attraction of the opposite sex.

most of you will be well aware that since you started riding "hellooo chick magnet

you know, sit at the lights between the cars and how you get the occassional sultry glance, the feeling she's undressing you with her eyes.

ok, so i said 'most of you'... if you ride a scooter or a cruiser, perhaps not so much.

but a super motard, you're just fighting of the babes constantly... if you can deal with that fine... if you don't want to be treated like eye candy, sex object, just a piece of man meat on wheels... then a motard is not for you.
    • Like Like x 1