Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to Filter

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Brmmm, Mar 6, 2012.

1. Here's one of my noob attempts at filtering from today. Its not often I spy a gap big enough to have a go in the 'motorcycle lane'. Interested to hear from you any hints or advice. I got a bit nervous and decided to gun it when the lights went green a bit earlier than I was expecting.

Would it have been better to go around on the left (bus only lane = illegal) or on the right (turning lane = also illegal)?

2. In my admittedly limited experience, it looked OK to me. I probably wouldn't have filtered on what looked like a stale red light as I would have expected it to go green early on me as happened to you. Others are a bit faster than me and might expect to get away with it.

I wouldn't have gone around though. You'll get pinged on the bus lane, and the right turning lane is a bit more dangerous b/c you have moving traffic on one side of you.
  3. LOL re the stale red light.

4. Filtering like that is dangerous considering you approached the light that was already red that was surely intending to go green within seconds. Causing yourself a hazard to the drivers that were not aware of you being near them as they were more focused on the light turning green trying to escape in moving traffic. let alone sneaking ahead of the other traffic, what if a car ran a red light and hit you?
    You deal with alot of unpredictable people on the road as you can see by the mazda that had spun its wheels as the light went green.
    If you desperately want to filter in traffic the way your going, you will not last very long my friend. I recommend you take this example into consideration.
    Another thing i will add do not ever filter between traffic the way you did, if something were to occur you need a place to escape , so you would of been better off riding in the bus lane and surviving than getting squished between front of a semi and a car

--Example--Traffic lights
    You see light turn orange then red as you roll up to it, filter at a steady speed to the front and come to a stop. wait for green light check Left and right, then proceed to accelerate off. IF you got into the situation like you did in the video the green light went before you got to the front, don't race to the front, stay in the position you are and drive with the traffic in common sequence.

Filtering comes with commonsense.
    In that situation i would of stayed in the left lane not being behind the semi to avoid his slow acceleration without filtering, if the light had turned orange i would have proceed to the left of the cars, without going between them.

I write this all for your safety and personally i don't filter.

1.In ACT, Canberra as far as im aware Bus lanes are legal for motorcyclists to ride in.
    2. You can be fined for overtaking to the left of a car if the police catch you doing it. (so if you go in the middle still your overtaking to left)

Filter at your own choice.
    Your life, your licence , your money

Is filtering 4 cars really worth the extra 30 seconds you get to the destination faster?

May you have a sucessful and enjoyable riding career. In town stay safe.

5. Filtering isn't always about shaving time off a ride. Some riders don't like to be the last in queue and having to sit there keeping their eyes on the mirror wondering if the vehicle behind them has seen them, and whether they'll stop in time.

Some riders like to keep a distance between cars, obviously bikes can get up to the speed limits a lot faster then vehicles such as cars so it could if you're sitting in traffic you would take off and at the same pace of cars and be stuck 10 or so meters behind them often or you can filter and be 50+ meters in front before the front cars reach 60km/h.

I do agree with the other points raised.
  6. Thanks, it probably would have been quicker to just write that bit. I was more hoping for some advice from those with the filtering skills and experience. I do appreciate the effort though.
  7. it doesnt require skills. There is just no need to do it the way you did do it.

Offences you could be charged with if you filter between two lines of traffic:

1. Changing lanes without indicators - i.e. failing to clearly identify your intent (would not hold in the ACT as no-one ever uses indicators)
    2. Diving/Riding manner Dangerous - i.e. riding too close to an adjacent vehicle, puting yourself or another road user at risk (again given the closest thing to our butt in the ACT is the car behind, not often used)
    3. Sharing a lane with a vehicle other than a Push bike or motorcycle i.e. you can ride 3 up on motorcycles as long as one is overtaking but you can't share with a car - this one they could sting you with.

Each of the above offences carry a range of demerit points and if applied rigorously could see you loosing your license very quickly.

Anecdotally and from personal experience only having ridden in ALL states and territories:

Don't lane filter passed a Police Car or Bike or you will get pinged;
    Don't be agrressive when filtering - it will hurt and you will lose;
    Do travel slowly and fall back into line when the traffic moves above 15kph as the police will get testy;
    Don't argue with the Officer if he/she pulls you over as you won't win."
  8. Hopefully this may be more to your liking:

9. cheers, i like acceleration for that reason, at the same time i live in canberra, not like sydneys congested traffic. so i dont have as much of a traffic issue, at most lights i see the same example as in the video, half a dozen cars. tearing up in between cars swapping lanes to get ahead is a better way to do it. besides fines and all the other risks that go with it, its a riders choice how you want to filter in the end no right or wrong way, your on a motorbike as it is, thats already a higher risk we all take.

Brmmmm Filter at what is best for you at the time providing its safe. Just dont like seeing motorcyclists down.
  10. Thumbs up, Doing that is alot safer and you did it well.

I have done that in past too and you had a bit more of a reason to filter with all that traffic:). Round abouts can always be slow, traffic lights seem to be a new kettle of fish.
  11. To address the issue with the timing of the red/green lights - it certainly helps if it's a route that you drive every day and you're very familiar with all the timings of the lights (and the sequence of which directions get the green).

I got to learn to filter in an Asian country where it is normal for all of the (many) motorcycles to progress through all the holes in stationary traffic. Good place to learn;
    but here attitudes are not so relaxed.
  12. Filtering doesn't require skill? Umm.. are you sure about that one? to name a few: Low speed control of the bike, spatial coordination, planning, situational awareness..

The gap between the cars looked comfortably big (not sure if that's because of the camera)- you could've gone a lot quicker and made the light easily. Looked like you hesitated a bit at the start, but then when it went green you were decisive and got the F* out of there nicely. Can't be indecisive when filtering.

Sometimes it happens that as you approach you could be thinking, should I filter to the front? will the lights change? Nah, I'll wait. A couple of seconds pass, and you think hmm, this light is taking longer than I thought, I'll filter to the front now. And just then it changes to green. My point is, either commit early or sit in traffic. :)

In CBD areas, the gaps will be a lot smaller, the queues much bigger and importantly there will be other riders filtering and/or splitting. A head-check to see if another rider is coming up before you aim for the line is a good idea. Also with the queues being bigger you might find you can't make it to the front in time. So you need to plan your merge back into traffic without upsetting anyone.

Just my 2c.
  13. first vid you posted >
    good instincs Brmmm.
    you did the right thing.
    no hesitation.
    you do need more horsepower than that ideally though.

"Would it have been better to go around on the left (bus only lane = illegal) or on the right (turning lane = also illegal)?"

= **** no.
    just smack down the middle like you did.

you did make a mistake though. but it happenned at the start of the vid.
    you did not assess what sort of intersection you were comming up to. two lanes merging into one instantly. of course the two cagers will race.
    you always need to know what happens after the intersection beforehand. where are the immediate threats going to be comming from. slip lane on the left maybe. clearway that allows for right turning traffic
    and wheres the safe road to gun for. median strip on the right for example. nothing can come out of there.

but yeah once amongst it, yor reactions were spot on. and there was nothing else you could have safely executed.

one other tiny thing > when you entered the scene, well spaced from the truck. then a distinct turn into between the cars.
    a bike behind you going to split that intersection, may have gauged the lights were about to change. and wanting to dive down there quick also
    a quick head check for bikes
    and make it clear to them what you are about to do.
    i probably would have been closer to the truck comming in. it can't hurt you, not moving .
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ................

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
  15. More or less what I would have done too. (New to riding in OZ but learnt to filter in Japan)

At the risk of hijacking the thread, I do have a question for the more experienced at riding in this country.

What is the best place to position one's self once at the front of the queue?

Slightly in front of one of the lead cars, away from the centre gap, would make the most sense to me. Room for another few bikes to come through if need be, but stopped before the pedestrian crossing lines.

However, I have heard that crossing the stop line on a red is one of the offences that the police like to ping people for!?

Stopping in the middle of the rows of vehicles still allows a quick getaway, but screws anyone else that was filtering behind you. Also a slight risk one of the cars will not see, or will see and try to be a prick and outrun you.

What is the etiquette here?
    • Like Like x 1
  16. yes that is an offence, but only if you are on a motorcycle.
    cars are allowed to do it.
    so best answer i can give you is, safety first

positioning is a can of worms.
    but i prefer to be out ahead. makes your presence at that intersection most apparent to all traffic at the intersection from every angle. separates your profile from the mob.
    in more advanced countries than Aus, that's how it's done. though the intersections are painted to allow for 2 wheel traffic at the front.
    that's not very common here and where it is available only bicycles, cars and trucks are allowed to use it. but motorcycles and scooters get fined.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. [​IMG]

When i saw it, Had to post it:)
    • Like Like x 4
  18. In the first vid I would have used the bus lane...

Your way COULD = 3 possible fines as exo said.
    Bus lane would have been "driving in a bus lane" as long as you indicated you moved in it..

Sometimes it's all about the money....:p
  19. G'Day Brmmm, Re first vid ....... That's pretty well how I would have done it. You got through, you got past and got ahead of the sheep ... all goals achieved.

If I was going to question anything at all it would be to ask ifyou did a head check on the crossing traffic to ensure it had stopped or did you react to the green go light and let it rip??
  20. Splitting hairs Joe (pardon the pun), but do you think the popo would be more likely to object to a bike in the bus lane than a bike filtering?

Also, you're easier to nab in the bus lane!