Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning to corner after breaking a wing....

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by Sides, Feb 27, 2006.

1. As rafiki said in Lion King "it is time..."

Tomorrow I am off to face my demons and attempt to fix my cornering woes by doing an advanced rider course... Let me (hopefully briefly) fill you in on the history....

A little over 12 months ago i made a bit of a boo-boo... Was having a ball learning the ins and outs of cornering on my ZZR250, wasnt doing too badly, then it happened... target fixation.... A broken bike, broken collar bone and a helicopter ride later and i realised maybe i wasnt doing so well after all. (read all about it: Twowheels Jan 2005, chainmail letter of the month)

At first I felt really dumb crashing into a signpost that i was staring strait at, and now I fully understand how i made the mistake, and have been trying to improve so it doesnt happen again(really wasnt as much fun hitting a signpost as one would have thought). My problem lies in that now I have a small fear when doing left corners, and its affecting how much i enjoy my rides, i get really frustrated with myself when i muff up a left, and i must admit i get scared (is really hard to make that admission, who wants to tell the world they're scared of turning left, sounds a bit silly). I had no hestiation at all about getting back on the bike, seems that i love the damn things! And now that I am riding a bigger bike, I wanna be better at it, its time for professional help (well, i'll start with a bike course for now, and deal with the other issues later!!)

I'm feeling nervous and excited about the course at the same time. I keep thinking what if I'm not good enough and what if i drop the bike and make a fool of myself... but it really doesnt matter, i dont have to be a GP rider overnight. All i hope to take away from doing it is to find a way improving myself as a rider, because i love my bike and riding so much...
  2. Goo work dude! Great to here you are doing a course. When i get little bit of spare cash (saving for an overseas trip in june) i'm thinking of doing an advanced riding course. Good luck with it.

P.S. Did you get a bunch of cool gassit gear??
  3. Cornering has always been my hiccup. I feel confident when going into a right bender, but I always feel inadequate on left corners.

I would also like to do an advanced riders course to get rid of my "demons". I have put it on the list of things to do this year :grin:

Good luck with the course :)
  4. Good luck with the course...its a good idea to get rid of your demons...and like you said once you know what you did wrong and how to correct it - you know you're never ever gonna do that again....Admitting to your fear is a good thing too...you wouldnt be human if you didnt have a slight hesitation after havin an accident...

I'm same as Pink Angel...put me on a right turn and I'm laughing, on a left though dont ever feel 100% confident...

Let me know how you with the course...
  5. Have you seen Zoolander?
  6. 'it is time'

exactly, enjoy!
  7. thanks guys for the encouraging posts, i feel better knowing i'm not the only one who has a prob with the lefties... some people i speak with are full of confidence and are all "i'm great at this, and i can do this better than anyone else" except my better half, he's been great and supportive, emparting a lot of his knowledge on me, and if it wasnt for him i probably would have given up by now....
    i'll let you know how it all goes, will be on the countdown for how many times i do drop the bike!
    ps. falcon-lord, i havent seen zoolander.....
  8. WOW! please mke sure you keep us all posted in great detail - VERY interesting story!

Good on ya :)
  9. i'd concentrate on riding at a slowish pace, so you always feel comfortable and you'll build your confidence up gradually :)

good luck with getting back into it :grin:
  10. Sides,

Almost exactly a year ago I had an off at Philip Island: Broken right wrist and a rib were the headline items.

I knew I'd have a mental block to some degree - so this is what I did.

Once the cast came off and the bike was rideable again... I went nuts doing countersteering slalom drills - left right left right, at all sorts of speeds. Slowly but surely confidence returned. [I still do them today - I love that side to side feeling!]

I reread and reread "twist of the wrist2" and made efforts to go on twisty rides but rather than go fast, spent time on cornering technique - which hopefully you'll get from this course. Basically over exaggerated the setting up, looking through, body position, throttle roll on... etc etc etc

The other bit was outlogic-ing the fear. I knew that I used to do this cornering thing with much less fear than I was feeling and except for that one time, got through with a big grin on my face. So I knew I could again and chipped away at the fear bit by bit.

The last piece of the puzzle is to extract every lesson you can from your incident. You did something(s) wrong in addition to target fixing... understand those mistakes and learn the lessons... then assimilate into your riding technique.

That worked for me, but sounds like you're already on the right tram in the attitude stakes - Goodluck with it.

11. :WStupid:

What Rob said - I think most of us are pretty ginger getting back on a bike after just about any sort of stack - let alone a doozy like yours.

Doing that course will be a quick way back to the confidence that it often takes others months to regain. Congrats on getting back on that horse.
  12. Learning to corner after breaking a wing - update

wow, what a day i had yesterday! I am exhausted, and my butt muscles are a little bit sore, but it is well worth it....

Basically the problems that were picked up at the course were pretty much as i thought they'd be... I NEED TO RELAX! The instructor had us doing some excercises to get our eyes doing the right thing, and getting me to losen my grip on the handle bars :oops: I am way too stressed on the bike and I realise that it is all in my head. My shoulders tighten up and it seems i am fighting against the bike.

By the end of the session i had relaxed heaps, started to feel a little more confident and i actually enjoyed the whole experience. I am finding that in theory it all makes sense, but i must admit I was having trouble transfering it into practice because of my tension. I plugged away at it, as I'm not one to give up easily, and was starting to take better lines, and turn my head more, to the point where i decided to have a go at putting my knee down, as that was part of the course.... hehe, I came soooooo close to doing it! I was a bees d*ck away from scraping my knee on the ground, but that stupid barrier in my brain wasnt letting me do it. I apparently had the position right, and everything right, but just couldnt get accross the line.... I feel slightly disappointed that i couldnt do it, but also somewhat proud of myself for having a go at it. I never thought it possible considering my confidence levels to even TRY and put my knee down, and I came so close, so surely i have learnt something? I definately came away feeling alot better about my riding, therefore i say its worth it!

and would you believe, i got closer to getting my knee down on my left, wonder what happened to my lefties being my worst??

I wanted to say thanks Rob, Loz and Androo for your awesome advise, i will definately take that onboard along with what i learnt yesterday.
    Rob, I have in the past done the over-exaggeration thing, and that seems to work well, i'll definely keep at that if its helped others.
  13. Well done! :grin:

Which course did you attend, by the way?

If I find I'm getting tensed up on the bike, I make a conscious effort to hang on with the lower half of my body (legs and sphincter! :LOL: ) and relax the upper half.

Seems to work - I think once you realise what you're doing you've pretty much won the battle. :)
  14. Gromit, I went out to Rider Brothers at Calder Park... My instructor was Ian, and he was great, VERY patient with me, which was really nice. I had done abut 2 laps on the range and he pulled me over and said "so, how tight are you gripping with your hands?" I shuffled my feet, looked at the ground and said "yeah, pretty tight". I was impressed, although thats his job, and he is really good at it. I am very thankful for his help yesterday, and especailly the patience he showed towards me... Highly recommend them to anyone...
    I'll keep in mind too hanging on tighter with my legs (and sphincter! hehe, thanks for that!)
  15. mate...... WELL DONE :applause:
    its people like you who give me the inspiration to ride
    i mean u had a bad crash
    u got back up and did a riding course to help and improve your riding
    and found what the problem was
    mate all the best and hopefully one day i will meet u and go for a ride
  16. Great to hear that you are overcoming your fears Sides!

It's always inspiring to hear these sorts of stories.

Keep up the practise and I'm sure it will one day all just click!

17. Re: Learning to corner after breaking a wing - update

If you ever get a chance to watch some old footage of Daryl Beattie you'll notice that he is so relaxed, in this area, that his head actually bounces up and down. :)
  18. At superbike school, they recommend you do the chicken dance every now and then (on the bike), to remind you which muscles to keep relaxed... :)

Well done!
  19. i am 100% confident when going through a left bend but not as confident going into a right.
    whats the best way to improve my right?
  20. rootmasta, there's another thread in this forum that i've seem called Zoolander syndrome, have a look at that there's some helpful tips... other than that all i can do is pass on what i've been taught, and thats head position, relax and take a wide line, but where you are looking is really important, and half my problem as i'm not looking far enough around the corner due to my tension...

thanks again everone else for all the advise and encouragement. I just hope that others that have fallen off and lost a bit of confidence might see this, and see that there is a light at the end of the tunnel. I'll keep at it, and in no time i reckon i'll be cornering like valentino! hehe, ok, probably a little ambitious, but hey, where would you be without dreams?!