Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning on a non-LAMS

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' started by s-twig, Feb 27, 2013.

  1. Hi

    Apologies if this has been asked before, I had a quick look and couldn't see anything.

    I'm in Queensland and have just received my RE license. Question is, how does it work learning to ride a non-LAMS bike? My Dad has a larger bike, and was wondering if I was allowed to ride it with his supervision. Or it is just expected that you can step up and do you R test without learning.

  2. Learner Approved Motorcycle Scheme

    If your Dad's bike is on the List of approved motorcycles then it's fine, otherwise you will have to get your own (one that is on the list).
  3. Bit confused by the following:

    Do you mean to imply that you only have your dad's bike to learn on? Or are you trying to say that learning to ride on a smaller / restricted bike will not apply at all to riding a larger bike?

    If your info is anything to go on, you've got a CBR250R to learn on, which is able to get you into trouble plenty well if you're not paying attention. You'll not only learn faster on it, you'll be a better rider for it too as you'll want to keep some momentum around the twisties rather than abuse your right wrist.

    Larger capacity sportbikes are designed to respond to control inputs quickly and decisively, meaning that accidental / oh-shit control inputs can land you in a whole lot more trouble than they would on your CBR250. If your dads bike is reasonably sporty, these articles might give you a little insight in why you should stick around on the smaller bike for a while:


    If you were specifically referring to the law, I would be very surprised if there was a clause that allowed you to ride the bigger bike under supervision, as, even in that scenario it'd be unlikely for the supervising rider / driver to be able to communicate with you effectively.
    • Like Like x 1
  4. Peppy: In WA you're allowed to ride a non-LAMS bike on an R-E (restricted) licence if you display L plates and have an experienced rider (has held R class for X number of years) shadowing you because the R-E licence gives you a learner permit for an R licence. In Victoria, you're not (no separate R-E and R licences there, and learners don't need to be shadowed).

    The OP is from Queensland - let's wait for someone who is familiar with the system to comment over there rather than just assuming that it's the same everywhere!
  5. No need to assume. The post by nescius links to information by Queensland Roads. The OP simply needs to read whats in the link.
  6. Thanks for replying. Sorry if I wasn't clear. I was meaning, after a year I can sit my Q-Ride test again to go to a class R license. In the meantime can I go back to a learner mode on my old man's bike if he follows like he did whilst I was only my L's.

    FYI, nothing wrong with my 250, very happy, just wondering how the process works to get an unrestricted license.

  7. I'm pretty sure you cannot ride a non LAMS bike until you've got your R licence, regardless of supervision.
  8. That's the answer I was after, thanks.
  9. roflmao
  10. The answer was incorrect. In Qld you must have your RE for 12 months and then it becomes an L for an R class bike. All the conditions for an L apply.
    • Like Like x 2
  11. I'm interested to know in what way the information I provided was incorrect. That is that you cannot ride a non LAMS bike until you hold your R class licence.
  12. My original post did not obviously account for the transition between RE & R whereby you have to learn on an R class bike. Doh!

    In this regard Psycho is correct, apologies to the OP for duff information.
    • Like Like x 1
  13. Okay, that makes more sense, and kind of what I was hoping that a few months prior to attempting the R test, I'd be able to get the feel for a bigger bike.
  14. It's good when someone can admit a simple mistake, makes life easier for everything.

  15. I doubt you have to ride a bigger bike to pass the R test.
  16. In Qld I think the R class test has to be conducted on an R class bike i.e 'bigger'. Jeez hopefully I've got that bit right at least :unsure:
  17. Yes, that's right. The test for the R-class licence (whether Q-Ride or Q-safe) has to be on a R-class bike.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Yes it was very noble of him.
  19. For all intents and purposes you are correct in that it must on the bigger bike. They just don't like to use the word "test" for Q-Ride and prefer, nay insist, that it is "competency based training and assessment". A rose by any other name..... but seriously each riding activity has a period of instruction, followed by assessments at a later part of the course or activity. They don't like to use the terms pass or fail but rather competent or not yet competent. Q-Ride has a very strong element in Roadcraft to provide ways of approaching and negotiating hazards that is methodical, safe and leaves nothing to chance.

    Pass or fail is used for the Q-Safe alternative which has no training components whatsoever.
  20. Applying for a class R licence
    Before applying for a class R licence you must have held a class RE licence for a minimum period of 12 months. After this period you are automatically authorised to commence learning to ride a class R motorcycle (i.e. a motorcycle that is not LAM scheme approved). While riding on the class R motorcycle you must display an L plate and be supervised by a person who has held a class R open licence for at least 12 months.
    At any point after the 12 month RE licence period you can apply for a class R licence. To be eligible for this licence you must successfully pass another Q-SAFE riding test or Q-Ride course on a motorcycle that is not LAM scheme approved (i.e. exceeds the 150 kW/t power-to-weight ratio or exceeds 660 mL engine capacity). As a guide, if the motorcycle exceeds 250 mL and does not appear on the LAM list then it is suitable to use to obtain your R class licence. If your application is successful you will be issued with a class R, provisional (P1 or P2) or open type licence.