Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning night shots

Discussion in 'Non-Bikes' at netrider.net.au started by Roarin, Aug 18, 2010.

1. Been out trying to master some night shooting. Shooting in JPEG with no post processing on my little Fuji point and shoot. Any suggestions/help gratefully accepted.

alfAt.
    Nmjd6.

No idea why the second one turned 90 degrees.
    PS Camera has 4 secs max exposure

2. what iso and apperture setting are you using if u know?

3. Your first shot is excellent!
    If you can shoot in raw do so, the shots themselves are fine but if anything the highlights are a touch overblown.
    Shooting in Raw tend to allow more leeway when post processing.
    Otherwise bracket your shots, f5.6 or f8 and play around with the shutter speeds.
    by bracketing your shots you get an idea about exposures.
    Excuse the horizon in this shot this was taken under full moon and a street light
    I bracketed a few shots and this was the best one.
    30 secs f8 iso 100
    crane.

4. I would not be unhappy with either of those shots, especially from a point and shoot! Myabe just a wee to much exposure, but I like it. I really like that first photo.

Hey goz, the light in the top left of that first photo give some indication of apature!

5. hang on, your bracketing your shots and not joining them?

6. this is true, and the grain in the dark spots around the tree is iso, thats why i asked

7. Bracketing means same scene different shutter speeds. ie 5 secs, 10 secs, 15 secs etc.
    allows for choosing a correct exposure.
    If you then want you can blend them to get an hdr scene but I'm not a huge fan of hdr as if done incorrectly they look fake.

8. really? i reckon they look awesome, dont do it incorrectly then :)

9. Not a fan of HDR either. I've seen a few good looking ones - but they're few and far between. For the most part, they're way overdone in my opinion.

I think it's more fun to squeeze as much out of the camera as you can in a single shot.

;)

10. First picky was at 100 ISO, 3 seconds shutter and f/3.7 aperture.
    Second was also at 100 ISO, 1 second shutter and f/3.5 aperture.
    If I venture anywhere above 100 ISO with the little p & s it all turns to shit as far as image quality goes. You can't expect too much for 300 bucks I suppose :)

Both were taken handheld (leaning/lying on available items close at hand) 'cause tripods are for poofs.

Smee -I'm pretty well certain that the camera does not possess such technologically advanced features such as bracketing. 4 seconds max shutter opening is a wee bit limiting as well. Can't shoot in RAW either.

Eberbachl -I'm with ya on trying to get it right straight off the camera.

11. Hi guys

Just started photography myself, what are the advantages and disadvantages of HDR? What kind of composition would typically use HDR?

From the reading I have been doing, It seems like its good to use this when there is high contrast lighting, eg some areas really bright and some areas really dark. Correct me if I am wrong.

12. Spazzy, spot on.
    HDR when used properly is to find a balance between high and low contrast, by doing so it increases the dynamic range of the actual shot through blending a series of bracketed exposures so that highlights and dark areas are exposed in a way to make a shot more in tune with how our eyes see it.
    When done for artistic merit or to make a shot have a bit more wow it can look spectacular.
    When it is overdone it looks like a CGI rendered pic from a computer game, the trick is to find a balance.

13.  Top