Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning from others' mistakes

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by the_blacke, Apr 4, 2011.

1. I've been watching some highside / lowside clips to try and diagnose what went wrong in an effort to learn from others' mistakes without having to make them myself... but there are a couple of highsides that I need some more experienced opinions on...

From what I can tell this guy has just opened the throttle too much, too fast, then chops it as the tail goes out and that's all she wrote.

Anyone able to confirm / add commentary as to what went wrong and what we can learn?

2.  Top
  3. Played the analysis game with Chef the other day. It is a good exercise to learn from others mistakes and have more experienced riders break it down for you. Would it be worth making this or a related thread sticky in the new riders and riding tips section?
    I think we could get a lot out of analysing vids on a regular basis.

Edit: Anyway, I'm usually off on these, but I am going to have a go. It looks like his index finger is on the front brake. If he slows the front wheel whilst in a corner it is going to dig in whilst the back wants to power on past it. Something along those lines is where this starts to **** up for him?

4. I'll bite. Here's my view:

highsiding is due to the back suddenly gripping up. Dumping the accelerator slows the rear wheel and it regains traction because the power isn't going through it anymore. Highside and big "ur doin it wrong" moment :D

Way to control a rear wheel slide, good throttle control. In good conditions, you can hold it on and power out of it if you are good enough.... In poor conditions (wet road, debris on the road), a slow roll off of the throttle.

@Stokedpaz: i don't think you could be more wrong... then again, so could I. we'll see what the more experienced riders say :D

5. Hard thing to pick for sure. Like yep he got on the throttle too early. But same corner last lap it was fine ??? So was it the tyre going off or too much throttle too early ??? That sort of thing. Some tyres go off nicely and quite predictably. Others go off pretty quickly like they just got a puncture.

6. it's stuff like this that makes me want to go on the slip-n-slide bike at CSS. Must be hard to learn how to control a rear wheel slide without totalling your bike... :-/

7. it's quite simple actually.

it's an uphill corner, so he would have been adding some power to maintain his pace. At that lean angle, the rear wheel broke traction, on what can be dust on the road, which is typical for that location. It's also a bit off camber, I believe...
    He could have been alot quicker and saved it (hopefully), by feathering the throttle, earlier in the tails-slide. Instead, he let it get a fair way around, before he reacted...enough that any reduction in throttle was probably going to cause the rear tyre to grip again suddenly and pitch him off.
    Perhaps if he had just eased off the throttle (not shut it down), the regrip could have been a little less sudden an he might have rescued it, but you'd need to be very experienced with a measure of some good luck on the day, to save it.

Unless he's a complete wanker, he would not have been using any front brake, since there is no need to just there.