Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning about mechanics

Discussion in 'Bling and Appearance' at netrider.net.au started by banditbob, Sep 22, 2006.

1. I've been unable to find any courses in south east Qld that provide direct motorcycle mechanics training.

Just wondering whether many auto repair/motorcycle mechanics shops, take on volunteers, just to help keep the place tidy or wateva.
    I see this as a possible way to learn more about bikes... by just being in the right environment.

If there's anyone operating in Brisbane/gold coast that wld be interested in some free help around the shop, it'd be great to hear from you!

Cheers.

2. Just rip it apart yourself, learning stuff as you go. Then when it doesn't go right, rip it apart again learning even more! Repeat ad nauseum until you call a mechanic.

Just like me!

:cry: :cry: :cry: :cry: :cry:

3. buy a heap of shit when it breaks down fix it that would be lesson 1 when it breaks down again fix it that would be lesson 2 and so on. every lesson may or may not include several lessons, but with every failure to fix a problem you will learn something about not just a motorcycle engine but all types of engines.as Haggismaen said rip it apart try to fix it, there is always someone there to fix your F*#K ups it may or may not cost more but that is the price you will pay.

steve

4. Banditbob, you are a legend. I learned about bikes by hanging around the local shops (free plug - Larry Nixon Motorcycles, which grew to become Brighton Kawasaki, and a bike wrecker, Bikes 'n Bits.) I tried to be useful, they let me learn. And they let me use the tools I couldn't afford, as long as I used them on junk bikes or my own (same thing, I'm afraid).

I think I got the better deal.

I don't have any suggestions on who could help you in Brisbane, but congratulations on having a go. Best of luck.

5. hang around a shop and then buy a shitter to do some work on it.

REV

6. The TAFE has nothing? Even a small engines course?
    Grab the Yellow Pages (or go online) and source some local shops. Get yourself out there and door-knock, hang out at race meets and introduce yourself in the pits (pick your moment!), it sounds like you have the enthusiasm already so your 'worthiness' to an employer or someone willing to give you a go is already there.

7. Cheers fellas.

I dont know about the 'ripping my bike apart' idea...wld probably cause more problems than anything...specially when i dont know my sprockets from my pistons. :?

Might visit a wrecker and pick up a shitted up dinasaur to work on :)

8. It's a lot harder to hang out in a shop and learn these days with OHS and bullshit industrial laws.

Also it costs money just to have some one hang over your shoulder asking questions, luckily not everyone is a tight ass especially in bikes.

Maybe start with your local mower mechanic for basic concepts 1st then work up to bikes.

Good luck getting your foot in the door any way.