Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learning a little bit of technical stuff

Discussion in 'Technical and Troubleshooting Torque' at netrider.net.au started by pebble, Aug 10, 2010.

1. I know nothing about the mechanics of bikes, engines, or anything.
    Id probably have trouble changing out a light bulb, but i would like to know how to do basic maintenance on a bike, as well as just understanding what people are talking about when they go on about this that and the other.
    Ive read about getting some extra horsepower out of just changing your exhaust pipe, and to me that makes no sense.
    being able to understand this sort of stuff would make my whole bike experience a lot more exciting and understood.

So, to do this, I want to know if there is anywhere you can go to do a technical workshop for a day, or does anyone know any courses, meetings, groups whatevers that can 'educate' the common man in the way of the bike?

Im just outside of melbourne by the way if that helps!

2. Sir, I am not ashamed to say that I would offer you hot sticky man love right now, based on the contents of your link.
    Thank you!

3. Look up 60 degrees motorcycles out East. They are about to run a basic maintenance course any second.

4. Ah, bit of a drive, but defiantely worth going to I think as well.
    nice one.

5. Great link Hornet!
    I'm in similar shoes to the OP. Looking for a course - but up Brisbane way. . . .

6.  Top
  7. On the exhaust thing, motorcycle (& car) exhausts have to comply with local regulations in order to be sold, ie emission & noise regulations. Sometimes (usually) a pipe that is quiet & captures emissions well, will not be the optimum design for the engine.

You can learn a lot around here, there is a gold mine of information if you want to trawl through some old posts in the tech section.

8. You're new here aren't you?
    I don't think Hornet's going to get back to you on that one.....