Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Discussion in 'General Motorcycling Discussion' started by 1nf3rn0, Aug 8, 2008.

1. I just got my learners, whoo hoo. Did the 2 day course at HART Tulamarine. Even though I passed I don't feel any where near ready to go out into traffic. Can anyone suggest what steps I can take next to build my skills and confidents?

2. Just get out there.
  3. Could not have said it any better.
  4. Neither could I.
  5. Agree with the above... however, if you're still really uncertain, go to a rural area with wide roads and little traffic. Get used to riding on roads, what gears and what speeds you use, cornering, stopping in the road to make a right hand turn and "waiting" for oncoming traffic etc. You'll have a few cars around if the area you choose is similar to where I first did this, but if you're uncomfortable, you pull over and let them go by, everyone's happy. As you build confidence, move in closer to urban areas with more traffic. You'll find it happening in a far shorter time than you ever would have thought I think :)
  6. When I did my Ls, you could 'hire' the instructor for a 1-on-1 on-road personal tuition session. It gave you that little bit of confidence to know that you were on the road, but closely followed by someone who knew what they were doing when you really didn't. The main purpose it served, in hindsight, was to overcome your road fears. You could just "get out there", as suggested, but for personal peace of mind, I wanted a mentor initially.
    I had two reasons for wanting private instructor tuition - I didn't feel anywhere near ready for the road once I had just got my Ls (turns out I was fine, it was all in my head), and i also wanted to root my instructor. I got what I wanted out of it, on both accounts. Money well spent IMO :wink:
  7. After i completed my pre-learners course, i went straight to the RTA and did the L's test, and then a few hours later went to pickup the GS that i had put a deposit on (i would have been screwed if i failed any of the tests).

The ride home from Campbeltown to Liverpool was super exciting.

I got my partner to drive behind me for the first few rides that i did in traffic (lucky her :p) as i figured that not having to worry about getting mowed down would free my attention up for all of the other things (braking, buffering, turning etc...). It made me feel much more comfortable/confident knowing that someone i knew was behind me the whole time.

maybe something to think about?
  8. If it's TRAFFIC you're not confident in , then you could ride around the blocks in the burbs for an hour or so each day.

That way you will go round lots of corners, brake, take off, turn, indicate etc (not necessarily in that order lol) at relatively low speeds and with just enough traffic to get you used to being in it but not a catastrophy if you fcuk up since it's not too fast or busy. The controls and bike feel will become second nature.

Gradually have one stretch on a mainish road, then build add more and you will be surprised. I would predict you would actually only have to this for 2 days before you were doing long stretches on the more mainish roads and after 4 days, you're wangin it up Flinders street/over the westgate.

Let us know how you go :cool:

Edit: oh yeah having said that the first thing I did after getting my Ls was pick up my bike from the CBD right in peak hour and commute home down beach road in heaps of traffic :LOL: AND my wife was driving behind me and that reduced the stress a bit too ;) . But if you wanna build up the traffic and bike control skills first, that's not a bad thing.
  9. MUCH respect :wink: :cool:
  11. She did ;)

Well unless he had a really small pecker ;)
  12. Congrats and welcome dude, its nerve racking thats for sure, i was shitting bricks just starting my new bike up the next day. First theres a little dead end street in front of my house so i slowly went in there and back. After two laps you couldn't get me off, i yelled out to my granny "just going aroung the block", then came back turned it off, then went for a longer ride.

What im trying to say is you'll gain much better confidence after starting. Nice quiet areas are also good.
  13. Ah Sarz, god bless ya. Please don't ever change
  14. Cracking up, Sarz
  15. :LOL: :LOL: sarz !
  16. What sort of a bike do u ride, and where abouts are u?
  17. If you don't have the confidence to go mix it with traffic then don't.

Start off getting the confidence of how your bike handles by finding a quiet suburban street and just practice going around the block. Make sure you change direction now and then so you practice left and right turns. Also practice stopping and when you are confident of that emergency braking.

When you are happy with that step out into light traffic and gradually build up into heavier traffic.

If you put where you live into your profile or post it up then maybe someone close by can help mentor. If your anywhere near me I am happy to help and spend some time with you getting you up to speed.
  18. Thanks to everyone for their feedback. I went out today for my first ride when the weather cleared up. Once I got going I didn't want to stop,.
  19. Good to hear ride #1 went well.

I bought my first bike with pretty much no traffic experience. It was a long way to ride home (well South of Sydney to quite Northwest). Initially I thought I'd stick to back roads and wander my way home avoiding freeways. Then I thought I'd concentrate better if I didn't have to worry about being lost and just went the way I knew.

It was fine until I got to the point where the freeway ends going into Lane Cove. Some nice chap in a cage decided to merge into my lane without looking and I had to take evasive. This was before the tunnel & all the road works, I think that bit of road is probably worse now, but it was bad then.