Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

VIC Learners to License...

Discussion in 'Politics, Laws, Government & Insurance' started by minglis, Feb 14, 2011.

1. [VIC]
    Hi there, I was reading a post tonight about a cop with a radar, and it raised a question for me. First, I didn't realise that on my L's, a <10km would mean 4 points and loss of license. I now do. Reading the laws tho, it also says that it's the same for P1 and P2. So, my question is this:

I keep hearing that because I have a full license with my car, when I get my license, I'll not be on P's, but go to a full license. Then they say that I'll still have restrictions tho (0% BAC, LAMS bike etc). So, the question is, once I get off my L's, will a <10km fine mean 4 points or 1? Would it be a loss of license?
  2. You'll find that as you already have a full license, after you get your motorcylce license you'll get the normal demerit points as anyone on a full license...

Only thing that applies in the first 12 months for you is the normal LAMS restrictions on what you can ride, BAC and no pillion....
  3. Where do you find that information about more points, etc.? I can't find it at all and I don't think it's true. I have searched numerous websites and I cannot find anything. It does not specify anything other than the 5 points in 12 months and 12 points in 36 months rule for demerit points.
  4. mmm. I think you may be correct.. seems that the info I saw relates to NSW not VIC: http://www.rta.nsw.gov.au/rulesregulations/penalties/speeding.html

I saw this info on a thread somewhere, but, when I tracked it down, it was the NSW rta.. does anyone know then what the story is for L plates in VIC??
  5. As far as I know you get the same points as anyone else, but you are limited to 5 points in 1 year AND 12 points in 3 years.

There's also instant suspension of license, etc.. but that's also applicable to everyone. Other than that, just your failure to display plates, etc.. would be applicable to learners/P's only and also carry demerits with them.

EDIT: and funnily enough if you display L/P plates when you're on a full license you can get a fine + demerit(s) as well.
  6. I think the reason for going to a full licence, but with restrictions (LAMS, 0 BAC, no pillion) is that it's too complicated to give you separate licences.
    All of your demerit points affect both your car and bike licences. You can't lose one without losing the other.

Here's what VicRoads has to say:
    If you already have a full car driver licence, you will be issued with a full motorcycle licence (motorcycle licence category added to your card). However, all newly licensed riders are subject to certain restrictions and conditions for the first 12 months from the date of issue.
    (from http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...otorcycleLicences/AboutMotorcycleLicences.htm)

If you have a:
    full driver licence and get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period; or
    learner permit or probationary driver licence and you get 5 or more demerit points in any 12 month period or you get 12 or more demerit points in any 3 year period,
    you will be advised by VicRoads that you have these demerit points and given a notice with two options, as follows.

(from http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home/Licences/DemeritsAndOffences/DemeritPointsAndFines/)

When you first get your motorcycle licence (full or probationary), the following restrictions and conditions apply for 12 months from the date of issue (shown on your licence card):
    only ride a learner approved motorcycle (view list of approved motorcycles for novice riders)
    must not carry a pillion passenger (a forecar or sidecar passenger is acceptable)
    must have a zero Blood Alcohol Concentration (BAC) while riding

(from http://www.vicroads.vic.gov.au/Home...rcycleLicenceAndLearnerPermitRestrictions.htm)
  7. this may be a dumb question but if you get booked on your bike do the points come off your car licence too????????? are they two seperate licences or combined into one?
  8. In Vic there combined
  9. I wish they would just make it uniform across all states. The whole registration/licensing system, fines, demerits - the whole lot needs to be uniformed. It's bloody ridiculous in it's current state.

10. ^^ **** NO I want nothing to do with how Vic manages their roads. $peed cameras are bloody everywhere in your state and fine you for absolutely trivial amounts above an arbitrary limit, not to mention they're hidden. You can bet your ass they will adopt Vic's camera $trategy nationwide if they go to a uniform system.
  11. I see you've visited our fair city...
  12. Victoria's one saving grace is no Double Demerit weekends. :) But I do like the advertised speed cameras you have up north rather than our sneaky hide in the bushes in camouflage types. ;)
  13. EDIT:

Probably if your license numbers are the same (ie. car and bike) and if it's on the same card then yes it will count for both. I know in VIC it does.