Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learners Permit Process

Discussion in 'New Riders and Riding Tips' at netrider.net.au started by Mark Gibbons, Nov 23, 2012.

1. Hey (this is my first ever post, and I joined specifically for this question) so here it goes;

I purchased my first ever motorcycle 3 months ago, It was a 2008 Honda CBR 125R - I've learned to ride it smoothly, but now I just have some questions on how and what to expect when I apply for my Victorian Learners Permit - Such as the motorcycle knowledge test - I don't think I will have any problems passing my practical test, and the road hazard test I may skip due to having my Car Learners, so that leaves the knowledge.

I'm really just asking for some advice, what you did, how much did it cost you, If it was hard, if you failed, just any details you can give whether you think there useful or not, I'm happy to listen (or read, in this case)

- The reason why I haven't got my permit since owning the bike for the passed 3 months, is because I was underaged, the bike was an early birthday present to myself for my 18th Birthday (which, I might add is in 7 hours from writing this, so I sha'll be going for my permit this week hopefully, and since there is no practice test, that's why i'm freaking out)

Thank you for reading. :3

2. Get the Victorian Motorcycle Handbook all the questions are out of that book. If you don't have much experience then do the 2 day course and L plate test with a training school such as HART

3. Mechanic, Roadworthy, License, and Rego, I'm probably going to have to pass on the “Training School” But I sha'll definitely grab the handbook. You live quite close to me, actually, not even 10 minutes away, are there any places you'd recommend going for my L's?

4. The more training you do before you actually get on the road as a licenced rider the better. For everyone.

• Like Like x 1
  5. You have to get your L's through one of the Vicroads-accredited training providers listed on their website. I did mine three months ago through Stay Upright in Hoppers Crossing, which cost $310 for a two-day course. (All of the other options, from memory, were located in stupid places that were hard to get to by public transport, which was important for me since I don't own a car.) You could also opt to do a one-day course (cheaper, but can't remember the price) if you're already familiar with riding a bike. Which, clearly, you learnt to do overseas or at a track on privately owned property ;)

The theory test is trivial. I skimmed the book on the train on the way there and only got two of the 30(?) questions wrong. The only thing that was a bit unexpected for me (as a non-Victorian native) were the questions about trams.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Just the answer I was looking for! - Yes, I'd say I'm quite familiar with my bike and definitely wouldn't have an issue passing a practical test. Are the courses needed, even the one day course?

$300 Is intensely huge, I thought it'd be $60 or something Including the permit like my car learners. Unbelievable. Still, I sha'll go threw with it.

7. If you just do the second day (i.e. the actual test), it'd probably be more like $200. It's not like getting your car learners - you get a couple hours of theory lessons and then spend a bunch of time on the bike, and at the very end of it you sit the test. The use of their bikes and the Vicroads fees for issuing the permit is included in the price, too.

On the course that I did, the first day was theory and then really basic clutch control and braking. The second day they take you through the stuff you do on the test and then a bit more (we did slightly faster cornering and cone weaves, which aren't on the Vicroads test, but I don't know whether that's because we had an enthusiastic instructor or if it's a standard part of the Stay Upright course).

Once you've got your L's, I'd highly recommend coming to the Saturday morning practice sessions at St Kilda (see the thread in Ride Announcements -> Vic). Doug who runs them is a fount of knowledge and has lots of helpful tips for riding on the road. Plus they're good fun and you'll get to meet a few of the people on the forums.

8. That actually sounds quite amazing - I definitely want to meet some people, get some advice, don't know why I decided to get into bikes other than this natural love for them, I have zero friends, or family with any interest-what-so-ever in motorcycles, so It'll be a fantastic start.

A couple hundred for all that seems fair - what happens if you pass everything and fail the final written test, are you required to pay that minimum of $200 all over again, for another test?

Seems risky, I don't want my learners to be like playing the pokies with my money.

Edit: those practice sessions, will I need to bring my own bike? that may be months away with this flat battery (and perhaps sparkplug?) - so many costs are coming into factor.

9. The book is free to download from the VicRoads website. It's one thing to skim through the book when you've got your licence and been driving for a while. It's another if you've got your (car) L's and that's it. Obviously the motorbike specific stuff is one thing, the general road rules are another.

The book is pretty basic, if you struggle with the practice questions in the book, well you might need to put the test off. If you breeze through them, well you haven't got much to worry about!

Personally, it isn't hard, I sat it all three weeks ago (I've had my car licence for 10 years and have had a lot to do with road law - so rules questions were far from an issue). But if you prepare properly, nothing is hard.

You sound confident with the bike, which is all well and good, but google the actual practical test. Ride-Tek even have animations on their website with what is required. Make sure you're comfortable with the exercises, sounds like you will be, but nice to know what you're in for all the same.

This sounds lame, but: If you fail to prepare, you prepare to fail.

10. I actually kind of panic during written tests, I'm not sure why it is, but I forget things I'd normally know, so I'm always prepared for failure, even if I know the questions, unfortunate, but it's reality.

I'll definitely try and hunt down those videos, perhaps I can practice them on my own bike for now (Just means push starting it at the moment, hopefully no-one sees me) - I also get to skip the road knowledge questions due to having my car learners permit, so It's only the practical test and motorcycle knowledge that I must pass. I just had no idea about these prices, but I came here to learn, so I thank you, all of you. (y)

11. Hold on, upon rereading it, actual courses (such as the ride-tek 1-day course) will actually net me the learners Permit as well? It's kind of an all in one bundle, to say?

Changes my view on it - I'm definitely not an amazing rider, I'm still a beginner, but any practice is welcome, and If the actual permit is part of that course, I seem to be pretty happy!

Still, must practice/read up on the motorcycle knowledge.

12. Correct. They all work like that. You do the course, and if you pass the test at the end, you come out with a learner's permit in your hand. When I did it, they gave you a lot of time to practice the skills that you'd be assessed on before the actual riding test, so if you've already got the basics of controlling a bike down, you shouldn't have to worry about passing the practical side.

And, while this is probably stating the obvious, you get to ride by yourself as soon as you have your L's - no need for supervision like in a car. Sounds strange to say now, but I didn't realise this until I got to the learner's course. In WA, where I grew up, you have to have an experienced rider shadow you until you get your full licence. If you don't have friends willing to teach you how to ride, you can easily spend $1000 on lessons to get you up to the standard required to pass the test. Whereas Victoria, from what I can tell, is probably the easiest place in Australia to get a bike licence.

13. I'm not exactly sure how it goes for the actual getting a permit is for New South Wales, but that's where I'm from - You can get your learners at 16 years of age there, so I'm assuming it's probably much easier. I would love to hear the side of someone from NSW that knows.

Anywho, basic's I'd say so, If you don't mind me asking, do different bikes feel drastically different?

As said, I think I will pass the practical test, but seeing as the only bike I've ever been on is my own (No-one will trust me with there pride and joy) I'm still a little nervous that It might be like learning from scratch on one of the instructors/training bikes.

14. I was kind of the same. Had experience riding quads and posties on the farm, and manual clutchless scooters in indo. Did the one day course at DECA, the theoretical test was easy if you read the book and they practice all the practical components over and over until you're confident enough to do it yourself. Plus if you fail once you get one more shot :)

15. I'm sold! All the info I needed, two shots? Can't possibly fail, surely.
    My only previous experience was on a CT110 Postie on the farm as well.

As previously stated, no-body I know has anything to do with bikes, so I bought my bike, and learned myself with no instructions. The gears confused me at first, but after a couple weeks, everything seemed smooth.

Well, that was until I had the accident, silly me.

Thanks so much! ;)

16. Hey buddy if it helps I am nearly 40 scary yep anyhow I had never ridden or even sat on a bike and they paseed me on both tests you'll be fine mate(y).

17. I'm assuming your 250r is your first bike? Beautiful, however, makes mine look like a joke. ;O

18. .

We all have to start somewhere mate but you will probably like me start feeling that you are outgrowing the bike so to speak.

19. Incredibly fast, already wanting something new, looking at Ninja's for now, or an early 90's CBR. So much choice, so little knowledge.

20.  Top