Welcome to Netrider ... Connecting Riders!

Interested in talking motorbikes with a terrific community of riders?
Signup (it's quick and free) to join the discussions and access the full suite of tools and information that Netrider has to offer.

Learners in SUV's dont headcheck

Discussion in 'Your Near Misses - A Place to Vent' started by aussieak, Nov 16, 2011.

1. Burwood Hwy near Dorset Rd, I am on the outside lane gettingup to speed from the intersection when the SUV next to me decides she needs tolane change. I honestly don’t think I was in her blind spot when my body was inline with the driver’s window. Beeping horns has no effect and she forces meinto the centre nature strip almost as I brake to slow DOWN. High beamed andflashed the car as it rolled on by into my lane.

As I overtake it on the inside lane only to discover she isa learner (no L plate displayed at back).; her head is clued to look forwardand the parent is on the mobile phone.

Now where is that thread on driver education. Teach learner drivers to head check please](*,)

We will thank the Saturday morning braking sessions and my Sixtydegreeroad craft course last weekend for getting out of that one without major panic.

2. Teach the PARENT to supervise properly, it's not the learner's fault the parent is incompetent.
  3. Incompetent parents ??
    Whoda thought ?
  4. See now if motorbikes were allowed to speed all the time (a theory i am currently and always testing) that would not have happened.

Potentially if you were doing a wheelie you might have been more visible.

And louder pipes.

5. Amen to that.

New lesson for me if there is one. I will always fliter at lights now. I decided not to this time cause I thouht the lights were about to change.
  6. what a shit parent, not surprised the L plater didnt check, i remember when i was on my Ls one time i nearly merged into a bike in my blind spot. From then on, always checked. Hopefully it will be the same for this one,
    • Like Like x 1
  7. Spot on for mine Mr Smee.
    And before we all hurmph and murmour. Many noobie riders don't head check. Or experienced for that matter. Harley riders are to kewl to be cool...lol
    Most riders I see are getting it wrong.
    From the strait ahead to the mirror to the ground to the right or left of your ass. You mirror will pick up what is only a foot or two behind you. The blind spot is from your back wheel to your shoulder.
    So a head check is a quick glance there. Check the mirror, check your ground and accelerate across to where your going. Do NOT BACK OFF. That vacant space can be filled by a bogan in a cage in no time flat.
  8. bad luck mate. Most learners I encounter are well behaved, but I give them extra buffer anyway.

Speaking of incompetent parents, I notice that learners in luxury cars are taught to stop with half their vehicle over the line at lights. They're pretty on the ball with that habit.
  9. You were in what's been called the "death spot". :eek:

Here's a little snippet from one of my favourite books:

I remember reading the above and it prompting me to think even more about escape routes, visual clues, gaps. eg if I was situated alongside a vehicle that's decided to change lanes on me, at what point/position would I make the choice between accelerating hard out of there or hitting the anchors. Naturally varies with different vehicles, but personally I find it can be helpful to think through different scenarios in advance, and consequently paid even closer attention to the body language of different vehicles, angles etc, as they changed lanes and so forth.

Good work on the braking. (y)
    Stay safe.
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Thanks. WOW the Death Spot. I dont think you can escape that spot in Melbourne traffic ](*,)
    More to learn I see I have more to learn
  11. Aussieak, the book I linked to above - Sport Riding Techniques by Nick Ienatsch - which came to me very highly recommended has a whole chapter on Urban Survival (helpful in Melbourne traffic) and is littered with great tips that I think would complement the course/what you've been learning above. I keep returning to it, on a perpetual learning path. If you get a chance, I'd recommend picking up a copy. :)
  12. Top book, Nightowl. Definitely one of the most well-rounded treatises on the subject.
  13. I grab one at my next oppotunity.